diabetes type 2 cure?

davidjk

The most common form of diabetes can be reversed by nothing more than a severe low-calorie diet, a study has found.

Type 2 diabetes, which affects around 3.5 million people in the UK and costs the NHS an estimated £9bn a year, is caused by high levels of glucose in the blood and is linked to overeating and obesity.

Researchers say the "remarkable" discovery proves that a simple eight-week diet can do away with the need for years of expensive medication.

full article

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/severe-low-calorie-diet-reverses-diabetes-231427394.html

oddly enough i am diabetic and for the last 10 months i have been eating very little , i was on pills and the on insulin and then pills again, but i had a blood test last week and the doc actually said if i didnt know any better i wouldnt say you were a diabetic , so there may be something in it but i honestly dont see how ppl could function on a diet of 600 calories a day. and it doesnt say how long the test subjects had had diabetes, i mean were they newly diagnosed so there for had a good chance of reversing the damage or had they had it for a while, good find though

but i honestly dont see how ppl could function on a diet of 600 calories a day. a

from what i understand they had fat in their pancreas, so they starved them till the fat dissapeared.

and it doesnt say how long the test subjects had had diabetes, i mean were they newly diagnosed so there for had a good chance of reversing the damage or had they had it for a while

Retired lorry driver Gordon Parmley, from Stocksfield in Northumberland, spent four years on daily medication for type 2 diabetes despite being only 2st overweight.

The diet worked and 18 months later he is still free of diabetes and does not have to take any tablets.

My Dad's got type 2 diabetes. Once you have it...it never goes away.

And this starvation diet is idiotic. Once you get off the 'diet', your body will put the weight back on again (plus more!) in preparation for the next starvation. I hate studies like these that are factually wrong...

In addition, it also doesn't say how long the patients have had type 2 diabetes for. In the first few years of having diabetes, it is much easier to manage (you can manage it just with your diet).

I'm actually a full blown Type 1 and it sounds a bit silly to me! The amount of fat you carry and activity level has a direct affect on how reactive the insulin is, so by loosing weight and essentially eating nothing your not exactly curing anything just hiding it! Its like them saying they've solved us running out of fossil fuel, Just don't drive as far! :rolleyes:

the problem they noticed was not body fat, but fat in the pancreas stopping the insulin producing cells from working.

they where fed a starvation diet to force the body to burn up all its fat reserves thus clearing the pancreas of fat and allowing the insulin producing cells to resume working.

after the starvation diet they where put on a healthy diet which lets face it we should all be on.

the gentlemen they mentioned in the article had type 2 for 4 years and was on tablets to manage it.

18 months after the initial diet he is still healthy and eats a healthy diet, not the starvation diet he was on to begin with.

the average rda for energy which comes from carbs, fat and sugars is roughly 2000 for females and 2500 for males

the problem is that there are so many foods super loaded with calories. we don't even realize. doner kebab is mad with calories some with as many as 1500

Type 1 and 2 are totally different with insulin production being reduced in 2 and non-existent in 1. Someone who is Type 2 will never become a Type 1, they will just become a Type 2 on insulin control - very confuddling! :confused:

I'm not a clinician but work independantly in the educational / IT consultancy side and there is coding for "Diabetes Resolved" so the "experts" say it can be but surely if you're a Type 2 and are on a diet to improve your levels then even if you're HbA1c levels are controlled you're still a Type 2 on diet control? Oh I don't know, too many of these studies and stuff, should do more to educate and stop people developing Type 2 in the first place I reckon! :banghead:

(can't tell i've been sat analysing 8500 diabetes patient records for flu jabs today can ya?!)