NEED HELP WITH 6 WEEK OLD HUSKY! >.<

Katelyn

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by a former police K9 trainer to make certain to always take pups out about 15 to 20 min after they eat or drink and to always take them to the same exact spot in the yard to do their business. Between that and always stating time to go potty it has always seemed to pay off for us. Tonight again, Pam announced Sasha Go Potty and zip to the door she went...literally and physically... "A" for effort tonight! She got to the door but the wife was slow at getting the lead hooked and oops, but you could see the light bulb flicker and Sasha stopped watering the rug and wanted out quick fast in a hurry to finish what she started. I'd have to say I've had easier pups to train but we kind of had to start early with this one and it's been a bit more of a challenge.

He also said never take them out of their crates if they are protesting etc, because then they associate it with getting you to do something for them. Those nights Sasha started in with the noise I had a gut suspicion she needed to go. That's the only time I've taken her out while yapping and screaming to get out.

I aint no pro but I've had very good luck using this method. It's just very routine.

Try putting some bells on the door and when you take her out ring the bells or get her to touch the bells with her nose causing them to jingle and she will jingle the bell when she wants out.so you know it's now instead of guessing and then she is right by the door waiting too.

Yes, he was supposed to stay with his mom till 8 weeks as planned, but the breeder told us that the mom was getting aggressive with them, so she sent the whole litter to their homes at 6 weeks. We're feeding him according to what the breeder told us - 3 times a day, 3/4 cup each meal. And the breeder also gave us a syringe for worming - she told us to give 1 cc once a day for 3 days, which we already did for 2 days. She also gave us a bag of puppy food in a ziploc bag, so I'm not sure what the ingredients are. I will definitely look it up, though. He did get his first shots already too. So, he's pretty much up to date with everything. So maybe I should feed less for 4 times a day? And it definitely could be the stress being without mommy.

If you're giving a wormer, his stools are going to be soft and perhaps even runny until any worms are expelled and the worming medication is out of his system. Back off a bit on the feed, maybe 2/3c rather than 3/4 and see how he does. As long as he's drinking plenty of water and eating, his odd elimination schedule is okay. Remember, huskies don't read the books and tend to go their own way in everything!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post here since I'm also looking for help with my six week old Siberian Husky who I've had for three days. Doesn't make much sense to start a brand new thread. I got my puppy from a family that didn't live in the best conditions. All the puppies were in a small wired fence with the parents in a larger wired fence in the back. Now this was also on dirt with ants and insects probably around. My fear was confirmed when the constant scratching led me to find FLEAS!! :(

Outside of waking up hourly to constantly scratch, he slept through the night like a baby. After a second inspection and some research we gave him a bath with a bit of Dawn dish washing liquid and must've taken out somewhere around 80-100 fleas with a flea comb(and dropping them in a bowl of hot water). I must've spent nearly 3hours doing this with him and the puppy was calm the entire time after the bath. He was much better afterwards, and scratching is down by at least 90-95%. Is there anything else I can do, besides waiting a few more weeks until he can use Frontline or some other treatment? HELP!!

I'd really appreciate any advice.

I'll post here since I'm also looking for help with my six week old Siberian Husky who I've had for three days. Doesn't make much sense to start a brand new thread. I got my puppy from a family that didn't live in the best conditions. All the puppies were in a small wired fence with the parents in a larger wired fence in the back. Now this was also on dirt with ants and insects probably around. My fear was confirmed when the constant scratching led me to find FLEAS!! :(

Outside of waking up hourly to constantly scratch, he slept through the night like a baby. After a second inspection and some research we gave him a bath with a bit of Dawn dish washing liquid and must've taken out somewhere around 80-100 fleas with a flea comb(and dropping them in a bowl of hot water). I must've spent nearly 3hours doing this with him and the puppy was calm the entire time after the bath. He was much better afterwards, and scratching is down by at least 90-95%. Is there anything else I can do, besides waiting a few more weeks until he can use Frontline or some other treatment? HELP!!

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Hi Carlos! I pretty much did the same thing you are doing now -- dawn soap and flea comb. Other than that, all I was pretty much able to do was wait. I didn't take him outside for potty training until I was able to put flea medicine on him. He was potty trained inside first. 2 weeks actually passed by pretty quickly, so it's not much of a wait. It really is the way to go instead of risking an allergic reaction if flea medicine is put on the pup too early. Also, once I started taking him outside for potty training, it didn't take long for him to start getting used to doing his business outside - I'd say only a couple of days!

By the way, you might not have to wait 2 weeks because Advantix can be used on 7 week old puppies, so you can look into that. Also, there is a tablet called Sentinel that you can give him now since it can be used for dogs 4 weeks or older. Sentinel doesn't kill the adult fleas, but prevents the development of flea eggs. It also guards against heartworm, hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms. The pup takes it once a month for protection against all of these. It is a bit pricey. You can research more about it on google. Just type "sentinel."

Other than that, you are doing good! I've been through what you're going through, and I'm not that far away - my pup just turned 10 weeks, and man they grow so fast! Take as much pictures as you can! =]

Thank you so much for the advice!! I'll look into Sentinel and and Advantix right away.

Come to find out he's not even six weeks old yet since the previous owner told me he was actually born on June 18th. Makes me feel bad they were selling the babies as early as 5weeks old instead of letting the mother stay with them a while longer. Outside of the initial flea issue he has been an excellent puppy.

My Husky got a brief spate of fleas when he was a pup however I used Frontline to get rid of them (the syrup you drop on their neck skin and it gets absorbed). I also would flip him on his back and pick the fleas off his tummy (where the fur is thinner) and crush them with my fingernails to provide relief until it took effect.

FRONTLINE_Plus_Largedog_web.jpg

http://frontline.us.merial.com/fle.asp

God I hate stories of puppies being sold too young. It's like the idiots you see out walking these really young puppies along the street. Also here in NZ it's a real epidemic where (typically) Asian students buy a Husky/Samoyed/Malamute puppy and when they return home after a year of study they just leave them in their empty apartments.

It all comes down to irresponsible breeders in my opinion.

My girls are littermates and i got them at almost 6 weeks old. they are almost 11 weeks now. At first they woke me up a lot in the middle of the night and i had to take them out. I fed them like 4 or 5 times a day depending on what time i fed them in the morning. Its so funny thoug because my pups are 10 weeks and so calm! i take them to the dog park and they dont run around like the other puppies do. I guess i lucked out in some ways. But its kind of boring in other ways :P. My girls wont go in their cage and they are pretty good about going outside but they still have accidents.

Three comments:

Puppies are individuals, just like people; some are hellbent for leather 24/7, some are the most laid back animals you'll find.

Dogs, IMO, seem to adopt their owners attitudes. If you're relaxed, laid back the chance are that your dog will be too, it you're hyper, I'd bet your dog will be as well.

Make the best of it, 'cause when they hit their teen years all bets are off!

My puppy has been the opposite of HuskyHannah's! He was calm for a few days and has been super hyper the last few. He seems to be either sleeping or biting anything or anyone around, lol.

After owning my Husky for for a week I'd say these are my pros and cons during the experience. Not that anyone should care.:)

Pros:

1.Great at being inside his crate, except for an occasional fit that usually goes away after a few minutes of play time. He's even started going in(on his own) for naps during the day!

2. It hasn't been too hard to potty train him so far. He's only had to go out 1-2 times at night and I'm at least getting a solid five hours of sleep. I've heard this is good for a puppy this young.

3. I believe we have the flea incident under control. He'll still scratch every once in a while, but I think he'll be fine until we can finally get Advantix next weekend.

Cons:

1. He had Diarrhea for about 4 days. He was eating 3/4ths cup four times a day and it seems to be gone now that I changed feeding to half a cup three times a day.

2. On about the third day he showed some food aggression that happens at random times. I've started feeding him from my hands and can still pet his head and body/put my hand in his bowl without getting bit. He'll just growl and bark occasionally. This is something I'm looking to address now, before it gets worse with age.

3. He's a biter! Like I said before my pup loves biting anything and anyone. I was letting him bite me a bit since I know he's just playing and it usually isn't hard but now he's just biting all day! Leash, hands, couches, etc...I try not too walk him too much since it's been pretty hot out and I've read it's not good for a pup that young. It'll take time, but I'll figure it out!

This will be a long journey, but I'm looking forward to it! Any advice or critique would help.

Make sure you deworm your pup. The worms were mAking Shiloh pretty fat. lol. Also be extremely careful when you are out with them. I had a scary ebcounter with maya and a greyhound yesterday. A greyhound decided it wanted to kill maya. There were a lot of us trying to rip my dog out of its mouth and she is only 10weeks old. I think i was scared more than she was :P

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you deworm your pup. The worms were mAking Shiloh pretty fat. lol. Also be extremely careful when you are out with them. I had a scary ebcounter with maya and a greyhound yesterday. A greyhound decided it wanted to kill maya. There were a lot of us trying to rip my dog out of its mouth and she is only 10weeks old. I think i was scared more than she was :P

Wow that is so scary! I would be scared to death too! Luckily we haven't experienced any of that as of yet. I try to be as careful as possible. Did your pup become scared of other dogs after that experience?