Man Stabs Puppy 5 X for nipping at him

Removed #1

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2011/06/matthew_weatherspoon_stabbed_bulldog_puppy_5_times.php

There are video interviews and such at the above link, but the written content is posted below. I don't really have much in the way of words...the pics and videos are pretty graphic...

Original item, 7:03 a.m. June 29: Puppies don't behave perfectly from the first moment they open their eyes. They need training -- and most experts back an approach that's loving and positive. Not recommended: The technique allegedly deployed by Matthew Weatherspoon, who's said to have responded to a nip from a bulldog named Diamond by stabbing the dog five times.

Diamond is just five months old -- an age when many puppies are teething. So it's only natural that she might bite the hand that feeds her, at least in play. But according to theDenver Post, Weatherspoon, nineteen, didn't exactly keep the situation in perspective. Instead, he took hold of a knife began slashing Diamond's face, eventually stabbing her a total of five times.

Weatherspoon then reportedly tossed the dog out of his apartment at 6875 Iliff Avenue because he was upset she was bleeding all over the place.

Fortunately, the puppy was found wandering nearby and immediately transported to a veterinary hospital, where she underwent three hours of surgery -- and as of now, she's arguably in better shape than the man who tried to perforate him. Weatherspoon was arrested on suspicion of aggravated animal cruelty (and found no visible bite mark on him), while Diamond will soon be well enough to be adopted from the Denver Animal Shelter.

Bet her new owners will be an upgrade. Below, find a full-size version of Weatherspoon's mug shot and a 9News report offering a view of the recovering Diamond.

Update: Matthew Weatherspoon is currently in protective custody, presumably because some of his fellow inmates would like to treat him as he treated a five-month-old bulldog puppy named Diamond, who he's accused of repeatedly stabbing and slashing. That's the kind of act plenty of folks would deem inexcusable. However, Weatherspoon is now claiming he acted in... self defense?

Weatherspoon sat down for a jailhouse interview with 9News anchor Kyle Clark in the wake of national attention for his horrific story. He'd reportedly reacted to a nip from Diamond by stabbing her five times, with most of his slashes aimed at her face. Then he's said to have tossed her outside his apartment because she'd dared to bleed on his stuff. Fortunately, she was found wandering nearby and transported to an animal hospital, where she underwent three hours of surgery that stitched her back together. She's currently recuperating.

His reaction to the uproar? He told Clark he can imagine why people are angry at him, and "I'm angry at myself, too. But I had no clue what to do at the time. I was panicking. It was either fight or flight."

Why not pick flight? After all, it wouldn't have involved stabbing. But Weatherspoon didn't go there, at least in the portion of the interview broadcast. Instead, he insisted that "the only people who can sympathize with me are the people who have been attacked by animals. I'm not a crocodile hunter. I don't know how to deal with animal attacks other than to defend myself."

Problem is, cops didn't see any visible bite marks on Weatherspoon. But he insists he suffered injuries: "She chipped my tooth. And my arm's all scratched up."

When assessing the credibility of this assertion, you should know Weatherspoon doesn't have the cleanest record. He's been arrested in the past for drug possession, assault and resisting arrest.

Weatherspoon then reportedly tossed the dog out of his apartment at 6875 Iliff Avenue because he was upset she was bleeding all over the place.

Well WTF do you think will happen after you stab a dog 5 times in the face? OMG!

Matthew Weatherspoon is currently in protective custody, presumably because some of his fellow inmates would like to treat him as he treated a five-month-old bulldog puppy named Diamond, who he's accused of repeatedly stabbing and slashing.

I think he should be stabbed 5 times in the face and thrown out of an apartment but hey that's just me. I believe that what ever you do to someone/thing should be done to you. I think people who do things like this need to go through the same experience their victim had to. Maybe I'm just vengeful but that's how I feel.

"She chipped my tooth. And my arm's all scratched up."

Poor baby, this doesn't mean the puppy deserved to be stabbed 5 times in the face.

WTF is wrong with people? Stories like this fill me with rage, disgust, and don't help my already low belief in humanity.

At 5 months that would have been nothing more than play, definitely did not deserve stabbing - and from those pics that looks more like 15 than 5, that poor pup was cut to shreds!

One good thing, with that kind of interest from the people you know he's going to get a good home when they finally do release him for adoption.

I think about 500 hours of scoopin' poop at the local animal shelter would be good; don't let him near the dogs, just let him clean up after them!

OMG.. Thanks for posting the news here, I don't have the courage to look at DIAMOND's slashed face. Knowing the bulldog's name I can't help imagining it was my baby he's stabbing O_O This is the worst animal cruelty EVER!! How can anyone stab a baby dog? She's just five months old! OMG... what's going through his mind when adopting his puppy?! I really hope he was locked-up for this! :mad:

omg poor baby i feel sick and cryin reading this that ********************** needs casterating and treating the same way he treated diamond no animal what so ever deserves to be treated like this i hope they lock him up and throw away the key but then even that would be to good for him :(:evil:

He'll get a fine and be banned from keeping pets for 12 months. :headbang:

Colorado, where this occurred is one of the states (1 o 12 I believe) that takes cruelty to animals rather seriously...as one of the states that allows pets to be beneficial in someones will, gives owners the legal status of guardian, dumping a dog or cat is classed as animal abuse, and one of the few states where you're actually able to receive damages in court for loss of companionship if someone else causes your dog to die...( read something about them requiring vets and such to now report animal abuse to the authorities as well but have no idea what the status o that is presently)...

I really do hope that he gets above and beyond the mandatory minimum for this sentence. I believe in innocence until proven other wise but it really is difficult to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who out and out admits to stabbing the dog and throwing it out into the streets afterwards. I can't believe he still calls himself a dog person...I can believe that he's been removed from general population because people want to maim and or cause his life to end....

I hope he isn't allowed to keep pets anymore, I hope he takes his anger management seriously...and most of all I hope little Diamond recovers well and finds a loving forever home