Scent marking....

Im pretty sure this is scent marking and not just weeing as he knows to wee outside and he poos out there too but Bear keeps cocking his leg and letting out bits of wee everywhere. I have a bottle of watered down Jeyes Fluid to squirt the areas he has done it but that doesnt seem to be stopping him. I know he is trying to get his scent around the place but he cant go round piddling on everything.

How can I stop him doing this?

Very good cleaning, for one thing.

Secondly, crate training and keeping him with you at all times for a while. Treat it as if it were simply potty training, if he doesn't get to mark everything around him, he won't get used to it and will probably stop it at some point. Try not to give him a lot of water when you can't supervise him and obviously, tell him no when you catch him in the act.

But yeah, with scent marking cleaning is especially important.

• 1 month later...

It's a man thing :rolleyes:

He is basically doing the canine equivalent of teenage "tagging" - this area is mine!!!

Dogs do tend to grow out of it - ours only do it if another male has been in the house. A friend brought her entire male round to visit the other week and he marked the corner of the sofa. By the end of the day, all of our males (who hadn't marked inside the house for years) had "covered" the original dog's mark and would have continued to do so until we gave it a thorough clean to completely remove the scent.

Neutering can also help, but it isn't a guarantee!

Darwin is 2 1/2 years old we've had him since he was 12 months.

He is neutered.

He 'tags' outside but not indoors.