please share your escape stories!

nicolehusky1

Mines a bit of a strange one...it envolves the worlds worst labrador....not its not marley and me its poppy and me!

So, my old house mate had a yellow lab called poppy. Worlds worst dog. She was clearly from working lines and was a rescue at a year old. Her previous owners couldn't cope with her....My house mate had been keeping her as an outside dog while she lived with her parents but when we found a house together she moved her into our home as well. To start it was us girls, merlin and poppy.

From the moment we moved in poppy found every escape route possible and on several occasions took merlin with her. The two worst incodents were as follows:

1. My boyfriend at the time had come round for the evening. I was mid cooking us dinner when I saw poppy climbing over the fence and out of the garden! So I ran out into the street to catch her.....My Idiot boyfriend decided to watch from the front door and let merlin into the street too.....He thought it was a great game and the dogs chased each other up and down the road! A car came towards them and poppy dashed into a neighbours garden followed by merlin...and then me.....Running through this neighbours garden and they were having a dinner party! There were about 8 people all dressed up and the dogs just ran through knocking a table of food over!!!! (oh the embarrisment) At this point I shouted at merlin to STOP and he did, So i got him on a lead and took him back to the house (after appoligising alot to the people in the garden party!) I then had to go and find poppy! So I had to go back through the garden party to the last place she was seen....scaling another 6ft fence (I was wearing socks by the way...no time to put shoes on) and so I climbed very ungracefully over it too....There she was, in an allotments distroying peoples veggies! Just running around, rolling in the plants and digging them up. As soon as she saw me she was off...We ran through the allotments into some farmers crop fields (I used to live in teh countryside) before I finnaly got close enough to leap on her! I actually flew through the air and landed on her with a thud. Labrador caught.

All that stuff you learn about dog training to catch a dog that doesn't want to be caught - run in the opposite direction, use food, toys, other dogs, sit down etc....none of that worked with Poppy. It was literally a matter of keeping up with her so you knew where she was.

2. The other worst episode was one morning when poppy got out...we had a long line for her by this point that she always wore in the garden and we always wen't out there with her. This day I had opened a door to let merlin and my other dogs out (I had 3 at this point) and Poppy lept over the dog gate, flattened me and then ran out the door, over the fence and was free.....Me and my house mate, half ready for work...again without shoes took of in persuit. She ran from our house down the road on straight onto the main road. She ran right out infront of a bus and then dodged several cars (it scared us silly! we thought she was going to die) We then managed to usher her out of the road and she ran into someones garden. It then took us 1/2 hour to catch her in an enclosed space.

Other events include espcaping, ending up in an neighbours garden and taking 45mins to get close enough to to grab hold of, escaping at work and needing 8 members of trained dog handling staff to catch, scaling 6ft fences, jumping on cars to clear the fence ,bardging her way out of doors to escape, jumping out of windows.....This labrador was more husky than my husky!!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bella has gotten out twice...when oh has either left the gate open (first time) second time we had just got home he was veryyyyyyyyyy drunk and wanted to go give her a cuddle i said no just wait till we get inside instead he went to the gate threw it open and let her run out i got to chase her at like 4am down the street =(