mom wants us to sell our Husky :( help?

Teo27

I don't know where to start from, we got our Husky last Nov and my parents don't really like him so much because he always has way too much energy, he lives in our backyard and at night he is always barking at the squirrels or birds, I really love him and think it will be too hard to say goodbye but I don't know how to turn him around especially since I don't have enough time for him, it wasn't supposed to be my dog, my little brother got him and he quickly forgot about him and I felt horrible for him, I do take him out whenever I can but he still bites on the pipes in our backyard, at our neighbors. Part me of me wants to let him go to a better family but part of me says no, what should I do? Will it be hard for him to adjust to another family? I don't want him to miss me or anything. By the way with me, he is always good and listens to me.

the first pic is when we first got him and the other one is pretty recent..

post-3864-13585974281469_thumb.jpg

post-3864-1358597428221_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If there is no time to take care of him and train him it probably would be better for him to go to another family. If you do think you can find the time to give him and try to train him then try to do that ^.^

yea that's what i feel too! would it be hard for him to adjust? do dogs miss u? haha I wish there was some way I could tell him that it's not him but it's us.

He's got so much energy because he isn't being given the chance to relase it. These dogs become energy bombs when they aren't exercised or interacted with. The backyard isn't a fun place and most dogs won't entertain themselves and wear themselves out.

What are you willing to do for this dog? If it's not much than i'd suggest re-homing him to someone who has experience with the breed and can work with them. They are absolutely fantastic dogs, but they do need an outlet. This isn't a dog who you can just put out in the yard and assume he'll do the rest :(

We would love to help you out and give you suggestions and tips as well as be a shoulder to cry on when they push your buttons... but we have to know what you are willing to do... and what you are not.

With all respect and not wanting to sound harsh but if you have not got the time to walk him and interact him with other dogs on parks ect then it would be best to find him a forever home that can train him and keep him active, a bored husky is a nightmare. A husky is not a loyal dog and being young he will soon settle in with a family that has more time for him. Make sure you find the right family though because there is nothing sadder than to hear of a 1 year or 18month old husky that has had 3 or 4 homes. Get in touch with some local husky owners and ask them for help and advice.

BTW great looking dog,

good luck with whatever you choose to do but choose for the dog and not yourself.

Sorry your family has come to this point Rudy, wish I had better news but the bottom line is that unless someone is willing to put in the time to train and exercise him he's not going to get any better. Our own Husky is rather particular about who he listens to...if you haven't put in any time with him...he doesn't really give two raisins what you're asking him to do...to him you're a nobody or the equivilant of a back up singer in a huge band trying to step up and sing solo...Of course it will be an adjustment for him to be with another family...you're his family, as far as adjustment issues that may arise he looks fairly young...so he may bounce back with just a little bit of work.

Does he get regular walks? Regular interaction with people or other dogs? How much exercise is he getting? What sort of training has he gotten?

If you want his behavior to improve...training, exercise, patience. If your family isn't willing to do this then he may be better off with a family that will put in the time and energy with him.

So I suppose there's my answer, someone else may have something different to say...again I'm really sorry to be so blunt about things but I don't really see another clear answer.

He might be sad at first but it wouldnt take him long to adjust to his new family, just make sure if you do find him a family that it is the right one, don't give him to the first person that comes along. I had to look after my aunts dog once when she moved and she said she was coming back for her and she never did but the dog got along just fine with us we did have to re-home her becasue we couldnt keep her as we are only allowed one dog at the place we are currently at. So don't feel bad if you do have to rehome him but there are lots of people here that are willing to give you tips and help you out if you do find you have the time to spend with him :)

I'll be blunt and to the point, re-home the poor guy, If your little brother has no interest, your parents are annoyed and you don't have time, of course he's going to be destructive if left in the backgarden on his own alot. I would definitley let him go, you know he'll be happiar elsewhere :)

Echoing everyone else who has replied but it sounds like the dog needs to be rehomed. Huskies are great dogs but they have things they need, every breed has particular requirements and most would say huskies are high maintenance dogs. If he is always in the yard and doesn't get much mental and physical stimulation he will be very bored and a bored husky is not a good thing as they can become destructive. Also if he is back there alone with no other dog and not much human interaction he will not be a happy husky. They are very pack oriented and like being with their pack. If you don't have time to provide the dog with the things he needs it would be best to let him go to a home with people who know what to expect and can provide a husky with what it needs. He will adjust, may take some time but he'll adjust and be happy with a new family.

It will be hard but sometimes letting go and saying goodbye is best for the dog and the family. Good luck with whatever you and your family decides to do.

Rudy, where did you get him? If you got him from a breeder, and you decide it would be best for him to go to a better home because you don't have time for him, I would first contact the breeder. Reputable breeders will not only take their puppies back at any point in their lives, but they WANT them to come back, rather than have you find him a new home! A reputable breeder wants to know where each puppy they bred is, and how things are going with them...

Good luck, whatever you decide...

Rudy, where did you get him? If you got him from a breeder, and you decide it would be best for him to go to a better home because you don't have time for him, I would first contact the breeder. Reputable breeders will not only take their puppies back at any point in their lives, but they WANT them to come back, rather than have you find him a new home! A reputable breeder wants to know where each puppy they bred is, and how things are going with them...

Not meaning to get off topic here, but Gigi, have you every had to take any of your puppies back?

Not meaning to get off topic here, but Gigi, have you every had to take any of your puppies back?

Yes, I have - several times. One time a family bought the puppy for their daughter. Both parents worked long hours, and had a housekeeper/after school babysitter who would NOT leave the dog crated, because he cried. He destroyed some furniture and a bathroom door, and the husband was so angry it was near to causing a divorce.

really feel for you but at the end of the day your lil' guy needs lots of attention and exercise

on a regular basis,and if thats not happening the kindest thing you can do for him is rehome him,preferably back to the breeder.

huskies are high energy dogs who crave affection too,and although you will be sad wouldn't it be better to know he is getting all that.

no doubt you will miss him and he you,but he will soon settle with a new family.....lots of us on here have rehomes/rescues :D

he is a beautiful boy and needs more than you can give him,

as you have stated you dont have enough time for him please let some-one who does take him.

if you dont have the time to put the effort in then finding a better home is kinder to your dog. HOWEVER selling him is not the answer. spending time finding the right home is going to be hard. contact a husky welfare organisation and get them to find a new forever home who is able to give him the time he deserves.

good luck we all admire your honesty and wanting the best for him

if you dont have the time to put the effort in then finding a better home is kinder to your dog. HOWEVER selling him is not the answer. spending time finding the right home is going to be hard. contact a husky welfare organisation and get them to find a new forever home who is able to give him the time he deserves.

good luck we all admire your honesty and wanting the best for him

^^ I agree with both of these.

If you can up the walks, training and generally improve his lifestyle, then keep him, but if you don't think you can provide that and your family arent putting in any effort then rehome him to an experienced owner or take him home to his breeder.

Stacey xxx

And, uh, don't worry about him being sad if he's rehomed; they adapt quicky, especially if they are moving on to better things. My Dakota was 11 months old when I took him in and has been happy since Day 1 with me -- he went from living in a crate in a basement to tons of daily exercise, training, and affection -- I doubt he's ever looked back! (And if someone with a better situation than me ever came along, I'm sure he'd leave me in a heartbeat!)

Rudy, I completely agree with everything Cathy has said. I took on a 12 month old husky whose family loved him but didn't haven't have the time to walk him and he lived in a garden and they realised they couldn't do what was best for him. He now has at least two hours walk a day and has gone from pulling like a train on the lead to walking calmly. Loyal to me - you must be joking even though he is currently fast asleep at my feet. I walk him in an off lead dog enclosure and many is the time I have walked around on my own because he has decided that he prefers the company of one of the other regular dog walkers. I keep in contact with his previous owners and let them know how he is doing.

i have a rehome dog too. it took a little time for him to learn that rules and boundaries are needed but he has a good diet, he's well exercised, he has a 2nd dog for company, he's rarely left adn during the winter months he has sooooooooooooooooooo much fun running on a rig. just look at his face in my signature (the adult). he is one happy boy who wasnt happy before

oooh signature disappeared but its on my earlier post! (black and white huskys)

oh this one tugs at the heartstrings. And I mean (not wanting to sound harsh) that I feel sorry for the poor dog. Poor little fella left on his own and not walked much. I'm sorry this mut be very hard for you but if you have not got the time for him and your parents not got the patience for him then He should be found a correct home where the new owners do have the time.

Contact the breeder, first.

Without sounding harsh, your situation is exactly why individuals wanting this breed need to do their homework first.

And, something you should consider if the breeder is unknown or for whatever reason won't take him back...........now that you know more about the breed and what they need, please carefully screen whomever you wish to re-home him with....no sense in allowing this to happen again.

This is unfortunatly a story that has become all too common :( If you can't give him all the care and attention he needs its in his best interests to rehome/return to his breeder, keeping him would be unfair. If you do have to rehome, please please screen carefully - we are Millies 4th home (and final home) and she is only 18 months old, she is a brilliant dog and so very well behaved but each owner has given her up as they havent realised how much time and attention is needed. Good luck with whatever you do. :)

thanks everyone for all the words and no one sounded harsh because most of it is the truth. I contacted the breeder and she says she'll take him back but then won't she just sell it again? Will it be better if I look for an owner that I know! Also thanks to all those who say they have dogs who have been re-homed, I will feel really sad when he leaves :(((( but I don't want him to miss me so what you guys said kind of calms me down.....