Work busier?

Marc

Thought this might make an interesting conversation. Has anyone else noticed that with the climate at the moment, working is getting harder? Now dont get me wrong, at the moment I'm just thankfull that I have a job in the first place as many people dont, however there does seem to be less staff for the same amount of work at the moment.

I know in the job I do, we are always pushed. Sarah is the same at her place too. Anyone else noticed this change in the way things work these days? This just in the UK or is it happening everywhere else which I suspect is probably the case?

I don't 'work', but my husband has said that when someone resigns, they aren't being replaced (except in key positions), that person's job is being split and allocated to other staff. Same job / production / output, with less people seems to be the way forward nowadays. Maximizing profits, or difficult markets?

We're really busy at work, but then we have not stopped hiring people...there is at least 1 new person a week...and hiring doesn't seem to be slowing down. I've recently got a promotion so we're hiring someone to do my admin that I was doing.

So I don't know...we're just really busy as I think business is going well...

Big YES for the postmen here. TNT is forcing all their full-time workers to quit and wants to replace all of them with part-time workers. In the meantime work is getting heavier, literally, while the people who need to deliver it are becoming less. They where about to start changing LOTS of things and I feel I quit just on the right time.

My Hubby is an NVQ Assessor at a local college and it has recently been taken over - he has had to apply to keep his own job and the terms and conditions have been changed, his wages have been cut dramatically and he now has to give 3 months notice (as if he can find another job!) they know they have them all over a barrell - moral is very very poor!

As for my job - we haven't been busier than we are now - but then I work in a Doctors Surgery and everyone is coming in with depression due to their jobs or lack of! :(

It's not just in the UK, it's everywhere over here too. As a result of our recent recession, which I feel is still going on, companies are reluctant to hire any new employees. Many are also not replacing those that leave or retire and expect current employees to take on extra duties without any compensation for the extra work. Companies have found that the same amount of work can be done with fewer workers, making for bigger profit margins. As a result, sales of prescription anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs has gone through the roof! People as young as 30 are having heart attacks brought on by the stress. You know the economy is bad when someone with 2 college degrees (my son) can't find a full time job! My job is pretty secure, but in the last 10 years, my department has gone from 3 full time and 1 part time employee to 2 full time. The work load has not diminished though...in fact, it's been slowly increasing.

Were not tbh (i work as receptionist in a building contractors) if anything its gone really quiet and more boring than before lol but my mum (shes a inventory manager at a big food company) there non stop getting busier by the day and same as some other peopl,e have said there getting rid of people and just spreading that persons work around with the people that are still there

quieter for me LOL, I only work in my cousins chippy one night a week but people dont want to eat it much at this time of year....

my partner had to shut his takeaway business couple of months back - think for a lot it's got to the stage of £10 for a pizza etc or £10 fuel in car :(

I have recently just left my job, I worked as a waitress and bar staff in a whitbread resteraunt. We were always struggling with being understaffed and always struggling to keep on top of all the extra jobs we have to do. We didnt even have a backup cleaner so when ours called in sick one week we had to come in half an hour earlier in the morning if we were on the open shift to do some hoovering and clean the windows and check the loos. I was so angry! Only half an hour to do that, when the cleaner gets an hour! They expected way too much of us just to save their precious budget.

They didnt replace me when I left last month, and they hadn't replaced the last 3 people that had left either! They are trying to run the place with half the staff needed and if one person calls in sick it leaves the other staff in deep poo!

The pay was minimum and they often forgot to give people their breaks, some shifts are almost 12 hours long and without a break you feel close to collapsing. I hated the place and won't be going back.

I work for the US Government and work seems to always be pretty steady, but not difficult. Even though SSA is currently not hiring and people are retiring left and right, I have honestly not noticed an increase in my workload (yet). When I firest started here, I went through a bit of a culture shock. I found my college work to be a heck of a lot harder than what I did at SSA. I actually still feel the same way. (I guess what they say about government workers is true <cough> we are all a bunch of slackers, lol). :P

All kidding aside, I'm sorry everyone is experiencing such negative working conditions. Being pushed is definitely not a good feeling. I think it occurs more in private industry here in the US than it does in the govenrment sector (there are always exceptons of course).

Wow, I've never realised quite how bad everything is - I mean I know/knew it's bad, but I guess at work we are protected in this little bubble, we're doing well, so you don't realise how bad everything is...like really, especially as around me family and friends aren't too affected.

Sorry to those of you who are xxx

I only work in a card shop, when someone was off i.e holiday, sick someone else had to do the shift, not anymore the boss stopped it so we have to cope with just 2 staff to do all the work, plus not so many people buying cards & gifts no more. Past few months it's so quiet you just get really bored cus if no one is buying theres nothing to refill so you just get to stand around, i hate this, started to look around to see if there are any other jobs but school kids leaving soon so it's hard for anyone to get a job.

OH came home tonight saying his work is sending him to work in manchester for rest of week as they have no work at his firm

I suppose a lot of it depends on the size of business that you work for too. I work in a small software house with only a few staff, and its harder for small companies at the moment and Im guessing it will be for a good while yet

Been off sick for the last two weeks, stitches out tomorrow so hopefully back to work after GP visit. Dreading the amount of work that will be sitting on my desk. Even schools are cutting back on staff and running extended school hours. Shouldn't complain at least I've got a job. Worry for my kids (and all kids) though as they are both at Uni with thousands of pounds of debt and reducing possibilities of getting jobs when they leave