Quick Hello

Blue Eyes

Hi - :welcome:! Owning/being owned by a Siberian can be a challenge - but it can also be very rewarding! I tend to thing of them as being people - not human, but people. They are generally very intelligent, and can use that intelligence for getting into a great deal of trouble, but they can also use it, then, for melting your heart so that you can't possibly stay mad at them!

If/when you get your puppy, make sure you know what you want your rules (allowed/not allowed in certain areas of the house/on the bed/sofa) to be, and be as consistent as you can with them. This particularly applies to things that might be cute in a puppy, but not so cute in an adult, such as mouthing people's hands or jumping up! Get a crate and crate train puppy from day one, if you can - it will help keep puppy from destroying many things in your home, and will help keep it safe from hurting itself (electrical cords, for example). A blanket to cover the crate (if it's wire) and a pair of earplugs can make the first few nights, in particular, much easier! :P

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone, Ive just literally registered and have a few questions. I had a quick look around and posted in the General Chat area. At the moment Im not a Husky owner however I have put a deposit down on a 3 week old puppy for my husband.

Husky owning? Im really hoping this isnt going to be as bad as Im reading about. :S:

well it all comes down to you and your training method :D well, maybe you might got stuck with a dominant puppy that demands even more discipline, but believe me.. With the correct training (AND exercise) any husky can be the perfect companion for you ;) (after you read and re-read articles about their personality and requirements)

oh btw welcome to the pack, just shout up if you have any question =)

Trouble is I am a sucker for dogs that arent quite "normal". :duh: For the last 13yrs Ive "managed" a screwloose English Pointer and now have a Jack Russell that never runs out of energy. :lolman:

Its mostly the horror stories that people were running to tell me that frightens me tbh. :eek: Which bought me here as I really wanted to make sure I knew what I was letting myself in for before I brought the puppy home. Infact I wanted to make sure the family know exactly what we are letting themselves in for too.

They were described as "Nervous, aggressive, suspicious and generally a pain in the arse to do anything with" type dogs. I was so very concerned as obviously we have fallen in love with the little girl already. :redface1: Got a trainer on hand for support. Hubby is going to look at careful consistent training from day one. Children have been warned what we say "Goes". I guess weve just got to get on with it as soon as pup is home. :doglick: