Low desire for exercise?

EuphoricDelirium

I have a large diving pool. The first time I took kodah swimming, I held him very close to me as we both got in the water. I slowly submerged about half of his body in the water to see how he would respond. He responded by licking my face so we went all the way in and I held him while he practiced paddling... after a few days of that, he was cruizin in the pool and knew how to get in/out... Now all he wants to do is swim, with me of course.... This is great exercise for him and he is completely exhausted after 20 mins in the pool.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awww...I wish Suka liked water. He's too big to be held close like that. :P

But yeah, Suka sleeps all day when it is hot (he's an indoor dog too). Actually, he sleeps a lot more now...but that's probably cause he's getting old.

Heatstroke is very dangerous and can kill your dog, so make sure you know the signs and how to react accordingly.

I have a large diving pool. The first time I took kodah swimming, I held him very close to me as we both got in the water. I slowly submerged about half of his body in the water to see how he would respond. He responded by licking my face so we went all the way in and I held him while he practiced paddling... after a few days of that, he was cruizin in the pool and knew how to get in/out... Now all he wants to do is swim, with me of course.... This is great exercise for him and he is completely exhausted after 20 mins in the pool.

Makes me wish I had a pool, lol.

Heatstroke is very dangerous and can kill your dog, so make sure you know the signs and how to react accordingly.

Very good advice. Made sure before ever bringing him home to read up on heatstroke and the signs, even though I have no interest in keeping him outside in extreme weather for any amount of time, this is the south, and life does tend to interfere with plans sometimes, lol. Better safe than sorry, I figure

The heat can really take it out of a pup. I'm sure he will be just fine. Bella is noticeably affected by the heat. She gets in a much better walk in the morning when it's cooler than she does in the evening. Sid on the other hand, I have to keep an eye on. He would try to run in 100F heat if I let him. All he can think about is exercising and sleep...with some eating crammed in there somewhere.

when we first got bella (in the summer) she didnt do much...slept alot mainly she would have bursts of energy and her spaz attacks just go nuts running around for a bit then back to sleep now shes older (n its winter) she has alot more energy we can walk for longer and run for longer if it's a random hot day tho she does slow down...

Kozak reacts the same way, the energy level increases a bit and like raindog says...they go full out or they are sleeping. Especially a puppy, they need roughly between 14 - 16 hours of rest at least. Wait until the colder months, the energy level will increase. We have below 20 degree weather here for 7 months and Kozak is non stop playing in the deep snow. :)

When we were searching for a new pup I kept looking for something that I could run with. I thought a Husky would be perfect! Not Naya, she's a lazy little pup. We get about a mile into the run and she's ready to lay down in some shade. I have a heck of time even getting her to walk the rest of the two mile route.

On the flip side, we have quite a few friends with other pups (less than a yr old) and they are all crazy amounts of hyper, jumping up on people, running around the house, etc. Luckily Naya is very mellow. She'll approach new people but won't jump up, she'll just wag her butt and look up at you and then follow you around until you pet her.

I too was a little worried as she seems to be the opposite of everything I read about Huskys but I'm okay with a mellow dog!