Stress

Shadowpup

Why do people always decide that the last week of your moving is perfect for them to throw all their emotional anger at you? So angry and cross with my landlord. He's going mental at me for several reasons (things I haven't actually done wrong) and is keeping back £100 from the deposit to get the door fixed even though we already had it fixed. I just want him to leave me alone! I want to get my house packed and get my stuff sorted, but no now he wants to go though the invatory with him and make the removal van wait for me while he does so. He's being very unreasonable right now and I am very close to breaking point...

I got the full deposit back at my last place, I am not a bad tenant, but he is charging me for things that actually arn't my fault. The door frame is dodgy, this is his fault not mine, I shouldn't really be paying for the door or getting it fixed. He said if all is fine I can give him my bank details and he'll send it over.

I'm just really cross that he's pulling this in the last week, he said the only thing he was taking for was the door yet he's keeping money anyway for things 'he may have missed' ugh I give up with him. To be honest I don't care, he can keep the £100 for all I care but if he ever contacts me again I'll tell him to stop harrassing me...

When we moved in, we went around the house with the letting agent noting everything,

even down to the number of holes in the walls where pictures etc had previously been hung.

So when we move out it should be in at least the same condition.

and I would expect to do a full walk around with the Landlord / or letting agent

to inspect and agree/disagree over things that may need rectifying.

Before you leave take exhaustive photo's of every room, fixture and fitting.

that way if they complain about something you have evidence to look at to verify or deny the claim.

the house should be empty before he does a walk around and final check.

he really should leave you alone until the day you are going,then come at an agreed time to go through the house.

i wouldn't be giving him my bank details either

he really should have either the cash or cheque there to give you!

I had a landlord like this in my last house, now im a good tenant and I spend money when I move into a house, esp doing the garden (done front but not back in this house) but I did a lot of work inc fitting a new kitchen, completely redoing the back garden ect.. in my old house and he reckoned he was keeping my bond for peeling wallpaper (utter rubbish) and marks on the walls ect..... So i just kept the last months rent and told him to keep the bond ;)

Yeah I did that with the final property. He's already put the deposit though. He shouldn't of done it till I left. I can't tell him a time to come over because I don't know what time the removal men will be done and then they will have to wait for me while I do a walk around the house. He won't give me the cash he said he'd wire it to my account. If he asks for my bank details I'll just tell him to send a check.

Don't they have tennant's rights laws where you live? I mean here in WI the laws are pretty clear. The landlord has 14 days to return your deposit after you vacate the premesis. You are not required to be there for the walk through but it certainly helps...They are not allowed to charge you for regular wear and tear on the house or structural issues that they're responsible for. If they fail to return your deposit you can take them to court and you're entitled to 2X your deposit back + court fees. It doesn't deter all of them from being crooks but a decent judge will look at your pictures and such and generally rule in your favor if you haven't done anything wrong.

Thats just it though we do, but he has done everything backwards. I should be getting the deposit paid into my account from the deposit scheme but he applied for the extra £100 even though he said he'd only take it if the door wasn't fixed.. If he wants me to be there for the walk though I have to stall the removal van and ask them to wait while we do it as I have no other way of getting to the new place.

Hubby, babs, dogs, fish and father in law all going in the car well before hand as the last thing we need is a sibe running out on the street because someone opened the wrong door etc. I'll deal with it, of course I have to. I just wish I didn't have to deal with him. At the old place we just cleared the property went and handed in the keys and then the invatory lady did the walk though and we got our whole deposit back.

Never mind, just needed a good whine. I hate moving!

Basically what I mean is the deposit is procted and we agreed he was only taking £130 for the door as I had problems with it. But because I got it fixed he is still keeping £100 back and said if nothing comes up he'll give it back -.- I am not explaining myself well today.