Moving on to Raw....

Katelyn

Hello! I want to move Taz into a raw diet, but am just wondering if he is too young. He just turned 8 weeks old yesterday. If so, should I start with cooked chicken first...or move straight into full raw? Also, my husband and I are going to start training him this Thursday and were wondering what would be a good treat to give him? Thank you!

There are puppies who are weaned right onto raw when they're coming off their mom. I'd go right into raw now, no reason to cook it. Just be sure you've done your research into it, it's not as simple as throwing down a chicken breast! lol

I give my dogs a variety of treats when we're training. I find the easiest ones to handle and the easiest ones for them to take in a lot of frequently is anything soft. Not sure where you're located so can't help with brands.

Just make sure you've done a lot of research and know exactly what nutrients are needed and in what levels, for a growing developing puppy, and what raw components are needed in order to supply those nutrients at the proper levels. Too much calcium, too little calcium, too much protein, too little protein, etc, can all have affects on how a puppy develops. A puppies teeth are also not rooted very deeply, so things like bones, may be an issue.

As for a training treat, small cubes of cheese (but not too many) work well, as do small cut pieces of cooked chicken. I know some feed sausage, but I don't like using anything with pork or spices.

I find that when u cook the meat it gives them the runs...I've always fed my cats and kittens on raw and it does wonders for them. With the dogs it's been on and off it for awhile until I can get her the right amount without it tearing up her tummy. She has 2 wings a day plus her dry food at the moment.....poo is semi lol

Ok, thank you everyone! Well, I did quite a bit of research but wasn't able to find when was a good age to start feeding them raw, since Taz has been eating kibble this whole time. Many say to introduce it slowly for a week so that they don't get the runs. So I'm probably gonna feed kibble in the morning and then raw chicken at night. I'm not gonna be giving him bones at this time - just cut up chicken should be good. And I was thinking of giving some of the chicken as a part of his treats as well. Then as he grows older, I'm gonna be adding offal and a raw egg once a week, as people say that the offal makes up for the nutrients and the eggs do wonders for the coat. I still need to plan it out more carefully and do some experimenting to figure out what will work out best for him. Does this sound good so far?

I've weaned puppies on raw chicken wings for part of their diet (along with kibble at other meals) - I just make sure to smash up the bones so that their sharp little teeth can do the rest. I actually mince it into smaller pieces to start, and gradually leave larger chunks, until they've figured out how to chew at it and destruct the whole wing (as their jaws get strong enough to tackle the bones) itself...

If we hadn't domesticated dogs, your pup would have been eating RAW.

300 years ago they couldn't have popped down to "ye olde pets r usse"

and got a 15kg bag of Kibble and some tins of chappie.

Yet they still survived.

Your little guy will be fine.

Just make sure it's well chopped to fit down his tiny gullet. :)

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

So Taz is now on a full raw diet. So far, all I'm feeding him chicken - wings and thighs. I've been feeding him 1 drumstick every four hours for four times a day. And he is doing wonderful! I first started with kibble 3 times then 1 wing (minced) at his last meal. Then moved on to less kibble and more chicken until his stomach became used to the change. We did this over a week, and doing it slowly made sure that he didn't have any diarrhea problems. His poops came out good - a bit soft at first then it became harder. We didn't have any diarrhea problems. He seems to be growing up so beautifully and his breath doesn't smell bad anymore as he used to when we fed him kibble. His coat is also growing beautifully! =D He loves his food! Also, he doesn't spit up his food anymore as he used to with kibble.

Overall, my husband and I have to say that we are so happy that we moved on to raw! :yahoo:

Surprisingly, our dog trainer agreed with us that raw diet is the best way to go! It's so surprising because everywhere else we go, pretty much everyone disagrees with us.

I only have one problem - Taz INHALES his food! How do I stop him from eating too fast?? The only time he did spit up the chicken, I believe, is because he ate it too fast. When it came out, the chicken seemed like it never even got eaten. It seems like he doesn't chew the food. And my husband and I cut the chicken into small pieces. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Katelyn - Glad your little guy is doing well on diet. I highly suggest feeding something large enough where he is forced to chew, naw, and bite down on his food. You chopping up his meat isn't letting him get the "full benefits" of feeding raw e.g. teeth cleaning and proper jaw excercise. When I fed my boy raw for the first time I made sure that what I fed was large enough where he couldn't gulp it down his throat and I also held the meat for him. It only took a couple of weeks for him to get the idea of "I need to chew my food." I've heard of some horror stories about dogs choking due to swollowing the meat whole. IF you do hold his food be sure to watch your fingers.

Also, don't forget to add variety to his diet. Start introducing new sources of protein, but do them slowly in small amounts. Offal (heart, lung, liver ect) is another important part of a successful raw diet. Introducing this at a young age will be sure he won't turn his nose up later :)

If you've feed only chicken so far introduce some beef next, or turkey. Then go to the richer foods pork, lamb. I know some people dont feed pork just make sure its from a quality source. Sardines are a great source of amino acids which will help with his skin and shiny coat.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so Taz is now 14 weeks old and is doing great on the raw food diet. For about a week now, my husband and I have started to feed him chicken drumsticks while holding it. That way, he is chewing his food and working his jaw. We used to cut up his food, and even if we left large chunks, he would just tear it up into two pieces and GULP! Yes, he has bit us a couple of times on accident, but we just yelp and he backs off and sits (so cute!)

So far, we have only been feeding him chicken and turkey. We're not quite sure on when to start adding in offal and red meat.... please help? Also, my husband and I are thinking about adding in multivitamin wafers, just as a supplement.

:)

Also, don't forget to add variety to his diet. Start introducing new sources of protein, but do them slowly in small amounts. Offal (heart, lung, liver ect) is another important part of a successful raw diet. Introducing this at a young age will be sure he won't turn his nose up later.

Havent seen you on in a while. since you also feed raw, just wanted to ask you where do you get your meat and offal from?

Also, I'm trying to get a "husky night" going at one of the parks around here. lemme know if interested

OP sorry i hijacked the thread

By all means, start adding other things - offal, other types of meat, even bits of fruits and veggies - now, while he's inclined to eat everything in sight! It will be good for him to have a broader range of foods, health-wise, and it will help condition him to not be picky later.

By all means, start adding other things - offal, other types of meat, even bits of fruits and veggies - now, while he's inclined to eat everything in sight! It will be good for him to have a broader range of foods, health-wise, and it will help condition him to not be picky later.

Oh, ok! I'm gonna go shopping tomorrow so I'm definitely going to buy different meats, fruits, and veggies.... as for offal, I'm going to have to find a butcher around my area and give that once a week. Btw, are there certain veggies and fruits I should stay away from? Thank you!

Oh, ok! I'm gonna go shopping tomorrow so I'm definitely going to buy different meats, fruits, and veggies.... as for offal, I'm going to have to find a butcher around my area and give that once a week. Btw, are there certain veggies and fruits I should stay away from? Thank you!

Check out this thread...

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/danger-foods.10605/