The Northern Inuit Breed

Ice and Cripton

My dog walker has 2 Northern Inuits and they are amazing dogs >> are they still classed as non KC? I was looking around for breeders (out of curiosity) and they do hip and eye and go to shows? Is this part if their own community, anyway what do you think of them? Do you think they should be a registered breed?

http://www.the-northern-inuit-society.com/inthebeginning.htm

Here's a site >> what are they used for working wise, if anyone knows?

My dog walker has 2 Northern Inuits and they are amazing dogs >> are they still classed as non KC? I was looking around for breeders (out of curiosity) and they do hip and eye and go to shows? Is this part if their own community, anyway what do you think of them? Do you think they should be a registered breed?

http://www.the-northern-inuit-society.com/inthebeginning.htm

Here's a site >> what are they used for working wise, if anyone knows?

The "Northern Inuit" is extremely unlikely ever to be registered by the Kennel Club. No-one knows the origins of the "breed" and if they do they aren't telling. There are various different stories however with two major variants. The first variant (at first claimed and later denied by one of the originators) is that they were descended from dogs crossed with wolves. The second (much more likely) variant is that they were the result of crossing GSD, Malamute and Siberian Husky - indeed, the majority of NIs still look to me like dodgy GSD/Sibe crosses. For the first decade or so of the new "breed," no proper pedigrees were kept, no health checks were done and there were various rumours of other breeds being crossed in here and there. As a result, the Kennel Club won't touch them with a bargepole.

Also, within the 20 years that the "breed" has been in existence, politics within the breed has caused splits in the "breed" several times (There are now Northern Inuits, British Inuits, Utonagans, Tamascans and a variety of other "wolf-lookalike" crosses - all based on the same original breeding stock (whatever that was). There are at least half a dozen Breed Clubs for a set of "breeds" that are still numerically tiny - the largest of which is headed up by someone with animal cruelty convictions. Pedigrees have been shown to be at the very least inaccurate and at worst completely made up. There are significant health issues within the "breed" - Hip Displasia, Epilepsy, Von-Willenbrands Disease etc etc - all of which are the result of indiscriminate breeding without health testing.

In short, although the dogs themselves as individuals may be lovely, the "breed" is a real mess!

Mick

Sounds a lot like the "Native American Indian Dog" story. There seems to be several factions of those as well, with a split in organization and some political issues. It's too bad that man has to mess up what Mother Nature has been fairly successful with.

I have seen a northern inuit before when gizmo was pup and to be honest it wasnt a pleasent one!

However I have only seen the one and thats about as close to "knowing the breed" I have got so I wouldnt like to comment on if they should make the breed a recognised breed or not.

Mick, great reply added to rep