hills science diet??

Kissu & Aara

Took Kissuna to the vet at a different location but still the same company. So we saw a different vet. While talking to her she told me she used to breed sibes. I told her that I had been looking for a vet who knows the breed better, so I might start going to her. I asked what she thought of his weight. She said he is a little under weight but that it was nothing to worry about. So pretty much what the other vet had told me. Then she asked what we are feeding him. I told her blue buffalo wilderness and she cringed and asked if we would like her opinion on something better. Even though we just got Kissuna on this and I'm seeing signs of a good dog food, I figured why not, incase Kissu gets tired of this any time soon. She said hills science diet. That she's also a nutritionist and highly approves of this food. And that it is cheaper.

So my mom and I wander off to go find it and read ingrediants and.. yuck? Has wheat and corn and chicken flavor. Can't remember if it was chicken meal or chicken by-product, or even both. My moms dogs are allergic to wheat and corn, so we couldn't buy it even if we wanted. My mom was highly disappointed. She said "looks like you might still need to find a good sibe vet. Wouldn't be surprised if she was lying about that too." I told her "I dunno. Some breeders get discounts for referring, so maybe that is what she was doing".

Am I missing something? I don't see how hills science is at all better than blue buffalo wilderness. Also wasn't cheaper. It was about $7 more..

Nope, you are not missing a thing. Good that you have the sense to verify on your own. I don't know what it is about some vets and Hills Science. If Kissuna is doing well on Blue Buffalo, why change?

We tried Meika on science diet when she was a puppy because the vet recommended it. She had a horrible reaction to it. Constantly had the runs and was going to the toilet at least 10 times a day. If you read the reviews on Science Diet you'll find 90% of them are bad. We found out that vets get paid to recommend products to pet owners. Its sad that we ask the vets for help and then don't get the right advice.

I work in a veterinary office myself as a kennel associate. The house food we feed to our clients is Science Diet for sensitive stomachs. What everyone has stated is absolutely correct. Science Diet has worked it's way in bed with a lot of veterinarians and has sponsored many nutrition courses. I can promise you that any vet who recommends Science Diet is not a nutritionist. As you have done, it's easy to tell simply by the ingredients listed on the bag. Don't believe a word she says. I don't know why she would cringe about you feeding Blue Buffalo wilderness formula. I'm not entirely fond of Blue Buffalo myself, but the wilderness formula is a premium food that is a million times better than Science Diet. I've found that Science Diet has become so much more expensive because of it's demand as a result of some many veterinarians recommending it and shoving it down people's throats. It's a HUGE rip off. Also, I doubt your boy is underweight. I always thought Nanook was as well. A portion of it may be the fact they are adolescents and have not completely filled out. But I believe a large reason people often think huskies are thin is because that is what the breed is meant to look like, as well as the fact that people are accustomed to believing overweight dogs are ideal. My recommendation is to find a new vet. Good ones are hard to come across.

Ive just stopped feeding the Science Plan Large Bread Puppy food as Milo no longer likes it and i was having to mix it with other things to get him to eat it and also the fact that he has always looked so under weight. Ive swapped to CSJ Hike On and hes now starting to put a little weight on. I too was told by the vet that the Science Plan was one of the best premium foods and that they wouldnt recomend the CSJ.

• 12 years later...

The teason why she cringed is blue wilderness has cause a lot of harm to animals vets call it "blue wilderness disease" it's a terrible food and is constantly getting recalled. I worked in a vet clinic for years and seen this happen. 

On 7/13/2011 at 6:47 AM, Tanya-Meika&Keeva said:

We tried Meika on science diet when she was a puppy because the vet recommended it. She had a horrible reaction to it. Constantly had the runs and was going to the toilet at least 10 times a day. If you read the reviews on Science Diet you'll find 90% of them are bad. We found out that vets get paid to recommend products to pet owners. Its sad that we ask the vets for help and then don't get the right advice.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about Meika's reaction to Science Diet. Finding the right food for our pets can be challenging, and it's unfortunate that financial incentives might influence some advice.