Dogs feed on owners

Michelle Melsom

Hmmmmm ..... would it be total gross out to go into a house and find that the dead inhabitants had become lunch for their pets - yep, sure would.

Given the circumstances, though, what were the dogs to do - starve themselves? With meat available? I'd be pretty sure that their previous owners would have made other arrangements if they could have. (( Though I do have to admit great surprise that two people of their ages were found dead simultaneously and the police suspect no foul play. How they died is one item in the story that they didn't mention. ))

The "expert" in the comment sesction who states that once an animal has killed and eaten some particular species they *will* repeat is full of malarkey! Misty has eaten chickens, dug a couple up that had been "planted" but absolutely ignores the free-range hens people around here have.

The SPCA feels, these are good, normal dogs who were put into an extreme situation and people want them put to sleep because they'd never be safe around people again. << expletive deleted! >>

A little follow-up here: the CBC.ca has a poll up asking what should be done with them at http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2011/07/what-should-be-done-with-the-dogs-that-ate-their-dead-owners-remains.html .

And finally, the wife died, apparently of natural causes and husband committed suicide after she died. So sad, all the way round.

And thanks Michelle, a very oddly interesting article .... //al

That must have been so traumatic for those poor dogs :( I hope they find good forever homes and never have to go through something like that again. To be honest I bet the dogs hesitated as long as they could before doing what they did and it's not like people haven't been forced to make that decision before.

I always knew there were 'weredogs'!

All kidding aside; that's horrible! :(

Those poor dogs probably did the best they could, and waited as long as they could, before eating their dead owners. I voted on the poll for the adoption option.

That must have been so traumatic for those poor dogs :( I hope they find good forever homes and never have to go through something like that again. To be honest I bet the dogs hesitated as long as they could before doing what they did and it's not like people haven't been forced to make that decision before.

Absolutely. See the Donner Expedition for more info.

Another article popped up :P I dunno about you but the "dog breeder" that lived next door to them I wouldnt buy my dogs from if she just thinks they should be put down now without a chance..

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/article/563441--tv-trainer-gives-flesh-eating-dogs-the-all-clear-to-be-adopted

I think If I had to pick a breed of dog that i'd be least possible of being scared of, in the top 10 would be shelties. ANY dog in that situation would do the same, and as many have already stated, humans eat each other in extreme survival situations, it dosn't mean they will develop a taste for human flesh when they are back in a safe enviroment. Anyone who claims the dogs are dangerous must be out of their freakin' minds!

Those poor poor dogs, can't imagine what they've been through, not only losing their pack leaders but then being so hungry they had no choice but to eat.

I really hope that they get a chance at a new life with truly loving people who don't worry about this event.