Just had my first Heart attack!

James

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL - let's have an English lanugage wars! Up first: UK vs U.S. Canada will face off against the winner... :P

In all seriousness, I think a 'close' means a Circle? As in the road isn't a through road, and it doubles back on itself forming a circle. Houses would be built on the outside edge of the circle.

EDIT: Aha! So it WAS a Circle! :)

indeed!

According to my Dad it was my fault for not having her trained to not walk out of the house.........

I'd like to meet someone that has successfully trained their husky to not walk out of a wide open door to the outside world :P

I don't know that it's possible to train that behavior, but no doubt, someone on here has. Andy will sit in the next room and watch the door open while Jack is pushing his way out and pulling my arm out of the socket while I try to hold him back. They are all different, but it's best to try to not have the situation. Accidents happen. Jack got out once slipping through a barely open door and running like hell to the park. My last girl, Stormy got out during a domestic situation, and was out all night, and we found her the next morning on a neighbor's deck. You just never know!

I don't know that it's possible to train that behavior, but no doubt, someone on here has. Andy will sit in the next room and watch the door open while Jack is pushing his way out and pulling my arm out of the socket while I try to hold him back. They are all different, but it's best to try to not have the situation. Accidents happen. Jack got out once slipping through a barely open door and running like hell to the park. My last girl, Stormy got out during a domestic situation, and was out all night, and we found her the next morning on a neighbor's deck. You just never know!

Actually, Suka won't walk out of an wide open door even if I don't tell him to stay. He just...came like that when we adopted him. He'll just continue laying down and watch what is going on beyond the entrance.

I have been teaching Sarah from day one that the human has to go through the door FIRST. She knows to sit and wait until she's told to come. I haven't tried testing her on it, and we haven't had anything juicy like a feral cat wander through the yard to really test her, but so far she consistently waits to allow the human (usually me) to go through the door first. If you haven't been teaching that, I think you might want to. It's great when I have my hands full of stuff and the leash wrapped around my wrist and don't want her bolting out and making me drop stuff.

After watching a certain dog trainer on tv who shall not be named (some people have issues with him) I started teaching my two boundaries at my doors. It has saved so much headache! I used to have to squeeze myself through a door cause Dakota would dash past my legs, now my two don't even try. I don't doubt they could be tempted if I wasn't right there, but going in and out of the house is so much better for us now.

Actually, Suka won't walk out of an wide open door even if I don't tell him to stay. He just...came like that when we adopted him. He'll just continue laying down and watch what is going on beyond the entrance.

Like I said...they are all different....Andy came that way also!

After watching a certain dog trainer on tv who shall not be named (some people have issues with him) I started teaching my two boundaries at my doors. It has saved so much headache! I used to have to squeeze myself through a door cause Dakota would dash past my legs, now my two don't even try. I don't doubt they could be tempted if I wasn't right there, but going in and out of the house is so much better for us now.

I'm not sure who he who shall not be named is, but I knew from the very start that I didn't want Sarah knocking me around at the door, so I started teaching that the day she came home. I can be unsteady on my feet anyway, and one good shove from her might send me straight to the OR. Like I said, I haven't really tested her on it to determine whether I have to be there or not, but so far I've been happy with the results.

we have the opposite problem, when ever any neighbor hood dogs escape they always try to break into our garden to see our 2. there are 6 different dogs that escape and come to our house, yet when my son leaves the side gate open (i dont know how many times i have told him to shut it) my 2 ignore it.

one day we have a staffy, a funny little dog and a greyhound in our garden. now if someoens dog goes missing they usually ring us

Always best to ask. Many years ago I worked for an American and we working on some financial data in pencil and I asked him to pass me a rubber. He went bright red, how was I supposed to know across the pond you call them erasers and rubbers have a completely different meaning. He was a bit of a prude at best and stuttered and stumbled when I asked him what was wrong.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

After reading all the stories, I have to refer back to the thread we had not too long ago about off lead and trust. Even the dog you trust 100% could one day decide to run through an open door or not come back. It's just who they are, and not being in the dog's head, we don't ever have the answer as to why. Why would my last husky jump through the screened window while my lab sat there nervous about who would get in trouble? Same with Andy and Jack, Andy is the neurotic one, but I'm still not sure he wouldn't run given the opportunity.:duh:

eerrmm coldesack?? (not sure how to spell it) like a road with a dead end, with houses that go right around... I'm rubbish at explaining :P

Great ending to what could have been a scary situation. Neat that the twins were there to keep things interesting.

HA! I'm not alone. I didn't know what that was either. Thanks for educating me. Like the famous American humorist Dave Berry once said, "when traveling abroad, I like to go to England because they've learned to speak some English there. Though they're not very good at it." :) :)