A new addition?

ChrisnHunter

First off, I'm new here. My name is Chris and I am owned by my almost 2 yr old sibe. His name is Hunter. He is extremely playful and energetic with a unique personality. (as most Siberians are) He does stay alone during the day while I'm at work. My neighbors have told me they can hear him "crying" when im not at home, though they have told me it doesnt bother them. I was thinking another sibe would be great for him to keep him company while I'm at work. I am active. Running with him a lot, taking him to the lake (I own a boat) and boy does he LOVE to swim! I live in California which gets pretty hot but I am building (hope to be done this weekend) a 10 X 10 foot fully air conditioned shelter leading into a 15 x 10 foot covered dog kennel. I have a good size backyard, which provides plenty of room for 2 sibes. Just wanted to get other owners opinions on getting a second sibe.

I do live alone and will be taking care of both of them by myself. Obviously 2 dogs provides more food, cleaning up after and brushing. I have been leaning more on adopting a female (around 1-2 years of age) from a rescue shelter over getting a puppy. What is everybody's opinion on getting a 2nd sibe? Both good and or bad. Thanks!

for me getting a second was the best thing i ever did :up: they are inseparable and get on perfect together :)

yes, twice the food, vet bills, brushing, cleaning etc - but twice the love :D

Oh and welcome to the pack - PICS please :D :D :D

for me getting a second was the best thing i ever did :up: they are inseparable and get on perfect together :)

yes, twice the food, vet bills, brushing, cleaning etc - but twice the love :D

Oh and welcome to the pack - PICS please :D :D :D

Thanks! He gets along with every dog he has been around. Here is a pic after swimming in the lake. Ill get a few more up here soon

28904_110362732339922_100000985865067_65859_7580257_n.jpg

My only question is: Do you need a live in dog-keeper? We're hitting 100f for the second time today (it's coming down) some air conditioning would be nice!

I wouldn't get a second Sibe as I have one *and* two mixed breed puppies (who are pushing a year old so they're not puppies anymore!) They are pack animals and adding another to your pack could be great fun for both of you! Were it me, I'd get the rescue female since she's more his age and you'd probably have less "training" than with a pup - I think the two of them would soon be at the same level while with adult and pup, you'd be stuck on two different levels of training for a while.

Good luck and where's the pictures - I'm getting as bad as everyone else! :oops: beat me to it!

thanks for the replies. I think he would be much better off with a playmate. I was leaning towards a rescue as less training as well. Although, an improperly trained siberian could take a lot of work to straighten out at that age. I will definately make sure the 2 get along before bringing another dog home. Alright... here is a few more pics

IMG00118-20110709-1028.jpg

IMG00051-20110208-1736.jpg

263782_251986931483367_100000161875095_1261798_2598050_n.jpg

thank u! I can afford it, so money is not a factor. They will get a little play time in the mornings and a lot at night and of course ALL weekend. They would just be alone all day while I'm at work, which is why I think mine would do better with a friend. Thanks for all the replies... I found a 10 month all white female at a shelter not too far from me. ugh. I want to get her so bad!

Welcome Chris and Hunter,

He's such a handsome boy.

More Pics please :)

Go for a rescue one. If you are concerned about an untrained sibe. you can contact some rescue organizations that are in need of adoptive homes. They will match you up with a sibe that is better suited for you and your sibe and give you more knowledge about the dog/bitch you are trying to adopt.

adding a playmate is a good idea, just remember it will take time for both of them to get used to each other. so try getting her on a friday that way you can spend two days making them feel comfortable with each other.

He will be sooo much happier with someone to play with. If money is not an issue, its a no brainer. I have never found adding another dog has really increased the amount of effort on my part. And the of joy watching them play is totally worth any additional work.

Is that muddy pic your backyard??:jawdrop:

Lovely looking boy, I have had buddy now for about four weeks and Marley seems a lot happier with his new mate....BUT he has inherited some of buddy's bad habits as well as his good ones, he is definitely happier when we are at work and now sleeps in the run at night with buddy rather than our bedroom.

It is lovely to watch them playfight for hours instead of hassling us for hours!!! The hand grabbing has stopped also. Walking them is now a pain as buddy pulls constantly whereas Marley walks at my pace, hoping buddy will learn soon as used to enjoy the walks loads. I would say go for it as he will be happier. Welcome btw.

Steve

Hi and :welcome:, Chris - Hunter is a handsome guy! Two Siberians are usually happier than one - especially when you need to be gone all day at work. A female would likely be easier than another male, and an adult or older puppy rescue than a little puppy. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum! I agree, add one to get twice as much fun. I must warn though. Sibes are pack oriented so what one does, the other follows. So you could end up with twice the trouble. In keeping with this possibility, if your new rescue is a real mischief maker, a thrill seeker, you could triple the trouble. What the hell though, isn't that what life is all about?

My recent rescue was nearly on death row for the trouble he caused in his old neighborhood. But when I asked his previous owner how he was getting out, the guy told me, "whatever escape route the bitch found or created. Kodo just followed her". I suppose it's what Kodo DID when they got out that was unsavory in the end.

thanks for all the replies and welcomes!! I have decided to definately get another. It just makes sense :) I went to the shelter to see the all white female. She was beautiful, but the lady working said she might have already been paid for a rescue. Ill find out on Monday. (I don't think she knew much) If thats the case at least she found a home. Ill keep looking and am sure to find one. The pic was when I was putting in a sprinkler system in my backyard. We had to use a lot of water and Hunter had a blast running up and down all the trenches in the mud and water. It took longer to bath him then to do the actually job but was well worth the entertainment

thanks for all the replies and welcomes!! I have decided to definately get another. It just makes sense :) I went to the shelter to see the all white female. She was beautiful, but the lady working said she might have already been paid for a rescue. Ill find out on Monday. (I don't think she knew much) If thats the case at least she found a home. Ill keep looking and am sure to find one. The pic was when I was putting in a sprinkler system in my backyard. We had to use a lot of water and Hunter had a blast running up and down all the trenches in the mud and water. It took longer to bath him then to do the actually job but was well worth the entertainment

keep us posted :D good luck