Pulling on lead.....help and ideas please??

Tikaani'smum

Hi (again).

I have a problem with Tikaani pulling - I know, that's what huskies do - but she is getting worse and I have tried everything I can think of!

Just got back from our evening walk, and have tried unsuccessfully again to at least get her to walk a little nicer.

Things I've tried so far......

Halti - didn't work, she just worked out if she turned her head the other way first she could still pull! I also didn't like the way it closed her mouth when she pulled so she couldn't pant.

Turning direction - she is quite happy to pull in any direction, she doesn't seem to mind which direction she's walking, just as long as she can pull

Stopping and making her loosen the lead before walking - she learnt she had to back up or walk back to my side, and has no problem doing this, then as soon as we start walking again, she just sprints from a standing start and wrenches my shoulder. She goes so fast that when she reaches the length of the lead, all four feet have occasionally left the floor!

I've tried the Ezydog lead which has a shock absorber built in and she loves it as she can 'bounce' on the end of it and I don't have as much control (if you can call it that) as I do with a normal lead.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next, she wears a harness for walks as I don't want to walk on just her collar as I don't want her to injure her neck, especially when she sprints.

I've tried taking treats and toys but she isn't interested in treats or toys when out walking.

I constantly praise if she does let up pulling, but as soon as she hears the words 'Good girl', it's like she sees it as a go-ahead to sprint off again!

Sorry this is so long, but just wanted to explain what I've tried already and hopefully you guys can come up with something else??

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Staceybob really helped me when Millie was pulling really bad - she taught me the stop start technique where the dog learns that unless it stops pulling they're not getting to go anywhere. She still pulls sometimes now but nowhere near as bad (she injured both me and my mother in law previously)

Good luck :) x

i actually find i have more control with a collar then a harness on mine - you might find it easier to train her to not pull on a collar then a harness so long as u have the time to keep stopping and waiting - what i do for blaze is when he pulls i pull him back - he does eventually learn to chill out - but it takes time - and its annoying lol

i also use a walking belt (bottom of page) http://www.dogtraininginfo.co.uk/dog-collars.htm

@BingBlaze'n'Skyla. The belt seems a good idea, and would definitely give my poor shoulder a rest, but I can imagine she'd pull me off my feet :D

I'm a bit worried about walking her on her collar......I really wouldn't like her to injure herself.....I know she's only young, but the way she runs from standing is surprising, if she lifts off the floor wearing the harness, wouldn't that really give her neck a jolt? I'm not sure whether the sprint start is because she's excited to be on her way again.....sometimes it can take 10 minutes for her to stop watching every little thing and realise she needs to loosen the lead! I have LOTS of time on my hands lolol

Thanks @Charley.....that one's been tried :). That's the one where when we start walking again she sprints from standing! I've used this one the most, but I get the feeling she knows she hurts me when we start walking again :cry1:

You need to be really persistent with whatever method you decide to do - if you forget to do it once (or in my case if someone else walks your dog for you and doesn't bother doing it :/ ) then the dog just keeps trying to see if you'll let them pull as it gets them to where they want to be faster. Have you been to training/obedience classes? What about taking treats out with you, or a ball/toy, to try and keep her attention focused on you? Good Luck x

Is she food orientated ?

If so, try having a food bag with something like cut up Hot dogs in it.

have it in your pocket.

She will smell it and want to walk by your side to sniff / get at it.

If she walks nicely reward her with a treat.

eventually she will get used to walking next to you.

This is just one of MANY methods that have worked for others. :)

ooh yeh i second what @Andy says - i can make skyla walk to heel no problem with some treat in my hand :)

also with the collar - i think it will depend on if u let her run to the end - i would get a double ended lead - with a handle at both ends (also handy for the belt) as when you first leave the house i would hold the handle closest to the collar (semi-slip i find is best) so she cant physically run to the end of the lead n has to stand near you - the calmer she gets the more lenth you can give her - the lead has 3 D rings down the lead too and a clip either end to change the lenths too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Police-Style-double-ended-training-dog-lead-strong-/280692122187?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item870cb5b1b6

@Charley, I've been training Tikka myself, and she has learnt and remembered everything she's been taught, and picked each thing up really quickly - we're now onto 'tricks'. The walking is the only problem I have with her. Only my daughter and myself walk her, she has learnt and uses the same technique as me, but if she carries on pulling my daughter won't be able to hold her soon.

@Charley, @Andy, She isn't interested in ANY treats/toys when walking, she's too interested in what's going on around her. I've tried her with her favourite treats - one's that she will do anything for - and she just spits it out - this is why I'm at a loss what to do next!

ooh yeh i second what @Andy says - i can make skyla walk to heel no problem with some treat in my hand :)

also with the collar - i think it will depend on if u let her run to the end - i would get a double ended lead - with a handle at both ends (also handy for the belt) as when you first leave the house i would hold the handle closest to the collar (semi-slip i find is best) so she cant physically run to the end of the lead n has to stand near you - the calmer she gets the more lenth you can give her - the lead has 3 D rings down the lead too and a clip either end to change the lenths too

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Police-Style-double-ended-training-dog-lead-strong-/280692122187?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item870cb5b1b6

Thanks, I like the look of that lead! Hand starts hurting after a while with the lead wrapped round and round! The thing is, the less lead length she has, the more she tends to pull and lean out and away from me??

I know it must sound like I'm trying to make excuses, but Tikka really does seem to have found a way to pull no matter what I do :confused:

Thanks, I like the look of that lead! Hand starts hurting after a while with the lead wrapped round and round! The thing is, the less lead length she has, the more she tends to pull and lean out and away from me??

I know it must sound like I'm trying to make excuses, but Tikka really does seem to have found a way to pull no matter what I do :confused:

no i know what u mean - Blaze is the same - heres me walking my 2 on the belt (at one point blaze decides to bolt off - n i manage to stay on my feet :D ) ive had all 3 on it at one point too - easier to control all 3 when they see another dog if they are on the belt lol

this is with the double ended leads too :) all 3 of mine have these leads lol lol skyla actually has 4 of them :P pink, purple , light blue and yellow lol

ETA: blaze WAS wearing a canny collar in this vid - but now just wears the harness and a semi-slip - as he no longer needs the canny - ill get an updated vid uploaded for u soon

TIMf81vG_Sc

I genuinley know where you are coming from - everything you've said sounds exactly like Millie (anyone who saw us at the Sutton meet would have seen Millie dragging me along lol)! Just keep persisting, eventually you will get somewhere with it, as I said Millie still pulls me but it's no where near as bad anymore x

I genuinley know where you are coming from - everything you've said sounds exactly like Millie (anyone who saw us at the Sutton meet would have seen Millie dragging me along lol)! Just keep persisting, eventually you will get somewhere with it, as I said Millie still pulls me but it's no where near as bad anymore x

she wasnt tooooooo bad after a while lol - she looked like a strongun for a lil girl tho bless her

@Andy - thank you for posting that, I actually haven't tried walking away without her realising, I usually end up dragging her round as I turn as she's usually already at the end of the lead......would you advise getting a longer lead to try this technique with?

@BingBlaze'n'Skyla - Thank you, and what gorgeous dogs! I wish my Tikka was that fluffy! She's really quite skinny with hardly any fur - although it's still falling out in handfuls lol.

I've just been on ebay and bought one of the leads, so I can try @Andy suggestion while waiting for the belt to arrive.......should I try and train Tikka not to pull before putting her on the belt?

@Andy - thank you for posting that, I actually haven't tried walking away without her realising, I usually end up dragging her round as I turn as she's usually already at the end of the lead......would you advise getting a longer lead to try this technique with?

@BingBlaze'n'Skyla - Thank you, and what gorgeous dogs! I wish my Tikka was that fluffy! She's really quite skinny with hardly any fur - although it's still falling out in handfuls lol.

I've just been on ebay and bought one of the leads, so I can try @Andy suggestion while waiting for the belt to arrive.......should I try and train Tikka not to pull before putting her on the belt?

i dont think it will hurt - u can always keep up the training whilst shes on the belt n have the belt there for safety - like if she pulls so hard n pulls the lead out of ur hand - atleast u know she wont be able 2 run away - i still try to train mine to not pull even if they are on the belt - just means if they see a cat they cant get it lol - the belt has built in bungees and comes with the screw-gate caribiner too :)

yes a 15 ft training lead is perfect.

the idea is that they get far enough ahead that they are intent on their sniffing that they are paying YOU no attention.

Then with the lead still loose you turn and walk in the opposite direction.

when it snaps tight she will come back to you. As she comes level praise her so she knows this POSITION is a good one.

She'll go past you ahead, repeat this process.

You will probably not go more than a few hundred yards the first time you do this.

BUT

Eventually she will realise that you keep changing direction, and will start watching you for the change.

BUT while she is watching you she's walking nicely so you keep on going.

When she loses focus you change.

She'll get the idea. :)

i dont think it will hurt - u can always keep up the training whilst shes on the belt n have the belt there for safety - like if she pulls so hard n pulls the lead out of ur hand - atleast u know she wont be able 2 run away - i still try to train mine to not pull even if they are on the belt - just means if they see a cat they cant get it lol - the belt has built in bungees and comes with the screw-gate caribiner too :)

Haha, yes Tikka likes bungees.....she can bounce at the end of them! Paid a fortune on the Ezydog lead and can't use it, I found she actually pulled and lunged more when she realised she bounced :D. At least she was enjoying herself lol.

Just want to add that a harness can equally injure a dog that pulls and lunges; if she jumps and you pull back at the same time, she could be thrown on her back and so on.

A collar gives you much more control and will make the turning away technique work much better. The thing is that you have to be really insistent the first few times and just turn around, regardless of the fact that you will be walking in circles. After 1 hr of doing this, surely she will tire out and start getting your point.

From the lack of interest for treats and toys, I can only deduce that she is really reactive to her surrounding during walks. In this case, it's best not to actually tell her good girl when she is walking fine; if you think of it that way, she has relaxed and calmed down and your encouragement will propel her back to her agitated state.

I think you could also really benefit from working with her on a training/flexi lead outside your home with lots of treats. It is not easy to get the attention of such a reactive dog, but there are techniques you can use. After a couple of 20 min training sessions, you should be able to get her to respond to treats. The key is to just throw treats at her until she notices them (hopefully the prey drive will help her notice flying pieces of meat and you will have to throw a fair few). Then gradually, once she is interested in the treats, only start giving them when she looks at you. It takes some work and you need to make it seem fun, once she eats a treat, let her go back to her business. Every dog can be made to respond to treats/toys/etc.

yes a 15 ft training lead is perfect.

the idea is that they get far enough ahead that they are intent on their sniffing that they are paying YOU no attention.

Then with the lead still loose you turn and walk in the opposite direction.

when it snaps tight she will come back to you. As she comes level praise her so she knows this POSITION is a good one.

She'll go past you ahead, repeat this process.

You will probably not go more than a few hundred yards the first time you do this.

BUT

Eventually she will realise that you keep changing direction, and will start watching you for the change.

BUT while she is watching you she's walking nicely so you keep on going.

When she loses focus you change.

She'll get the idea. :)

Brilliant, thank you! I will definitely be trying this....just slightly apprehensive that when she realises she has LOTS of lead she'll just sprint off at high speed lol. It actually takes forever to walk her now as I have to keep stopping when she pulls, so I have plenty of patience for doing this....I'm also used to the weird looks I get from people who I'm sure think I'm strange for stopping every other step :whistling:

Just want to add that a harness can equally injure a dog that pulls and lunges; if she jumps and you pull back at the same time, she could be thrown on her back and so on.

A collar gives you much more control and will make the turning away technique work much better. The thing is that you have to be really insistent the first few times and just turn around, regardless of the fact that you will be walking in circles. After 1 hr of doing this, surely she will tire out and start getting your point.

From the lack of interest for treats and toys, I can only deduce that she is really reactive to her surrounding during walks. In this case, it's best not to actually tell her good girl when she is walking fine; if you think of it that way, she has relaxed and calmed down and your encouragement will propel her back to her agitated state.

I think you could also really benefit from working with her on a training/flexi lead outside your home with lots of treats. It is not easy to get the attention of such a reactive dog, but there are techniques you can use. After a couple of 20 min training sessions, you should be able to get her to respond to treats. The key is to just throw treats at her until she notices them (hopefully the prey drive will help her notice flying pieces of meat and you will have to throw a fair few). Then gradually, once she is interested in the treats, only start giving them when she looks at you. It takes some work and you need to make it seem fun, once she eats a treat, let her go back to her business. Every dog can be made to respond to treats/toys/etc.

Thank you for your input......I do worry about her hurting herself. I never pull back on the lead when she's sprinting off, it's just the force of her run that lifts her off the ground and usually spins her so she faces me. Luckily it has never knocked her off her feet. Yet.

The thing is, and this is what I don't quite understand, in the house and garden she will do as she's asked, very occasionally she will try to push her luck but she WILL do whatever I ask of her. After I put her harness and lead on she is very excitable, but she will calm down and sit before I open the door, then I walk out first while she waits, and the same when we get home from walking. It just seems that while we are away from the house she becomes the most disobedient animal there is! She does not seem to take any notice of me on walks, we stop at roads and she will sit and wait to be told to cross, but she will only sit when she's ready. And you're right about the praise when walking, she just gets all excited and silly again.

I have to say the longest walk I've taken her on while doing the change direction technique was just over an hour and a half, and she didn't catch on at all! She just seems too busy watching what's going on around her to notice what I'm doing. I use the 'watch me' command at home which she is really good at, but try using it outside and I've no chance!

Thank you for your input......I do worry about her hurting herself. I never pull back on the lead when she's sprinting off, it's just the force of her run that lifts her off the ground and usually spins her so she faces me. Luckily it has never knocked her off her feet. Yet.

The thing is, and this is what I don't quite understand, in the house and garden she will do as she's asked, very occasionally she will try to push her luck but she WILL do whatever I ask of her. After I put her harness and lead on she is very excitable, but she will calm down and sit before I open the door, then I walk out first while she waits, and the same when we get home from walking. It just seems that while we are away from the house she becomes the most disobedient animal there is! She does not seem to take any notice of me on walks, we stop at roads and she will sit and wait to be told to cross, but she will only sit when she's ready. And you're right about the praise when walking, she just gets all excited and silly again.

I have to say the longest walk I've taken her on while doing the change direction technique was just over an hour and a half, and she didn't catch on at all! She just seems too busy watching what's going on around her to notice what I'm doing. I use the 'watch me' command at home which she is really good at, but try using it outside and I've no chance!

the world outside is such an exciting place with lots more intresting smells then what there is at home - good luck with the training and keep us posted :)

What I do before walking Storm is I take her out into our back garden, then I play a game and make her run to tire her out... Then once she is panting and worn down, I'll then take her for a walk, she does pull a little, BUT NO WAY NEAR as much as she normally would.

Give that a try, possible a small water-pistol to get your dog to run? Or chase her as a game? Out Storm loves it if you try to chase her and catch her, so might be worth a try... Good luck @Tikaani'smum