Pulling on lead.....help and ideas please??

Tikaani'smum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

keep it up hun - ofcorse theres going to be days where shes worse then others but thats why u need to be patient n consisitant

Thanks for the support....I think I'd have gone loopy, and most probably given up walking her altogether if I hadn't found this site! It does get depressing, and I do feel like I'm getting nowhere......it's a battle of wills at the minute, and I WILL win :cup:

Thanks for the support....I think I'd have gone loopy, and most probably given up walking her altogether if I hadn't found this site! It does get depressing, and I do feel like I'm getting nowhere......it's a battle of wills at the minute, and I WILL win :cup:

I'm in the same position as you, sometimes you feel like giving up and then you have a good day and you think maybe ill get there one day. I've gotten upset on walks especially when she is hurting herself and im thinking grrrr willow why cant you just walk normally then i remind myself its not her fault its mine for letting her get that bad

I had a good walk today, i find the turning around method works and i only go up and down my street which makes it boring for her so she isn't tempted and will pay attention to me. But the problem with the turning around method is what do you do if you actually need to get somewhere? thats when it gets tricky

hiya ive had problems with my boy pulling too, tried the halti as was told this was good but he hates it :( so got a shorter lead i know it sounds silly but this is helping alot more dont get me wrong he still pulls but hes better with it. some days are worse than others sometimes he walks straight past one dog and he couldnt care less other times he wants to leap on them lol. but when we take him for longer walks we put him on the longer lead :)

I'm in the same position as you, sometimes you feel like giving up and then you have a good day and you think maybe ill get there one day. I've gotten upset on walks especially when she is hurting herself and im thinking grrrr willow why cant you just walk normally then i remind myself its not her fault its mine for letting her get that bad

I had a good walk today, i find the turning around method works and i only go up and down my street which makes it boring for her so she isn't tempted and will pay attention to me. But the problem with the turning around method is what do you do if you actually need to get somewhere? thats when it gets tricky

Yes exactly! I want to take Tikka to different places to walk her and give her new experiences, but it's embarrassing! People look at me as if I have a really badly behaved dog, but she's far from it.....except when we're walking she really shows herself, and me, up.

My daughter tried the direction technique last night, and she was gone for ages! When she got back I asked what had taken so long, and she said she couldn't get home because Tikka pulls more when she knows she's going home, so my poor daughter had to keep turning around and just got further away lolol!!

My daughter tried the direction technique last night, and she was gone for ages! When she got back I asked what had taken so long, and she said she couldn't get home because Tikka pulls more when she knows she's going home, so my poor daughter had to keep turning around and just got further away lolol!!

Good on your daughter for perservering in such a frustrating situation, hopefully it will eventually work.

hiya ive had problems with my boy pulling too, tried the halti as was told this was good but he hates it :( so got a shorter lead i know it sounds silly but this is helping alot more dont get me wrong he still pulls but hes better with it. some days are worse than others sometimes he walks straight past one dog and he couldnt care less other times he wants to leap on them lol. but when we take him for longer walks we put him on the longer lead :)

Hi....I've tried the Halti - she learnt to pull with it on, so that wasn't any help lol. I've tried shorter leads and she's worse, it's like it has the opposite effect on her, as in she's being 'pulled' and so she pushes against it :confused:. I am determined to find a way of stopping this, and it's probably going to end up being something so simple! If I do find out, I'll be sure to let you all know lol

Good on your daughter for perservering in such a frustrating situation, hopefully it will eventually work.

I know, she did very well. She wants to be able to walk Tikka, no matter how big or strong she gets, so that's part of the reason she's trying so hard :).

She definitely wasn't happy when she eventually made it home though!

Hi....I've tried the Halti - she learnt to pull with it on, so that wasn't any help lol. I've tried shorter leads and she's worse, it's like it has the opposite effect on her, as in she's being 'pulled' and so she pushes against it :confused:. I am determined to find a way of stopping this, and it's probably going to end up being something so simple! If I do find out, I'll be sure to let you all know lol

its hard but you'll get there im getting there with my boy some days are bad some good hope u find whatever suits u both :)

also a vet suggested to us to have the collar further up just under his ears (there is sensitve to them) we tried this it doesnt hurt him and he doesnt pull i only pull his collar up once then the rest of the walk hes fine but be sure to pull it up so as not to strangle him she said she showed us how to do it ask your vet and see what they say? :)

i know how u feel im having the same battle with blaze atm - but hes older so its harder to break the habbit

keep it up hun - ofcorse theres going to be days where shes worse then others but thats why u need to be patient n consisitant

Happy Happy!! :D Well, new update!! I ordered a 15ft lead which came today, so I took Tikka out to try the direction technique, which turned out to be a nightmare as when she realised I was walking the other way she sprinted to catch up, ran straight past, reached the end of the lead and almost yanked me off my feet. Sooooooo, I decided to let her have the 15ft length and she was a different dog! She was happily sniffing....but not pulling! If she stopped to sniff I just walked past and she'd trot to catch up. I said her name a couple of times when she was walking out in front and she turned her head to watch me, and waited until I got nearer....then just walked nicely! I reeled her in a couple of times, just to check, and she seemed happy to walk nicely, then I'd give her the whole length 'as a treat'.

She seems to want that extra bit of freedom, and is so much better when I give it to her. She even looked back a few times to check to see where I was :D

The only problem I can see happening is that she'll want that much freedom ALL the time, and fight me if I put her on a normal length lead?? I would rather sort that out BEFORE it happens, but for today I'm a happy bunny :yahoo:

Happy Happy!! :D Well, new update!! I ordered a 15ft lead which came today, so I took Tikka out to try the direction technique, which turned out to be a nightmare as when she realised I was walking the other way she sprinted to catch up, ran straight past, reached the end of the lead and almost yanked me off my feet. Sooooooo, I decided to let her have the 15ft length and she was a different dog! She was happily sniffing....but not pulling! If she stopped to sniff I just walked past and she'd trot to catch up. I said her name a couple of times when she was walking out in front and she turned her head to watch me, and waited until I got nearer....then just walked nicely! I reeled her in a couple of times, just to check, and she seemed happy to walk nicely, then I'd give her the whole length 'as a treat'.

She seems to want that extra bit of freedom, and is so much better when I give it to her. She even looked back a few times to check to see where I was :D

The only problem I can see happening is that she'll want that much freedom ALL the time, and fight me if I put her on a normal length lead?? I would rather sort that out BEFORE it happens, but for today I'm a happy bunny :yahoo:

fantastic! :D keep it up - im sure she will be fantastic in no time

@Staceybob really helped me when Millie was pulling really bad - she taught me the stop start technique where the dog learns that unless it stops pulling they're not getting to go anywhere. She still pulls sometimes now but nowhere near as bad (she injured both me and my mother in law previously)

Good luck :) x

I've tried this with Blue. He cheats. If I don't move he just decides not to move either, he's lay down and play in the grass and refuse to walk.