Is this normal behavior?

bfueglein

cgju272sTFY

He is 8 months old and hasnt stopped doing this since we go him. I would like to know if this is common. This event took place on the way to the dog park, yes he was excited, but he does this constatantly. As you can see I really dont mind, because its so funny. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Also I figured I would start blogging his behavior and for more of his antics visit www.fleabiters.com you can go there to really see what I am dealing with.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine do get excited when they go out and if in the car they know when we are nearing our normal walking place

but i dont like the idea of having them loose like that next to you while driving

he looked like he was about to climb on your knee:eek:

maybe if he was strapped in securely or in the boot he wouldn't be so frantic

my dog does this , thats why shes strapped in now or in the boot , i think its a bit warm in the car for her plus shes a bit excited , she trys franticly to get her head out the window , our back windows only open slightly so we have the front windows open a fair bit so she trys to jump over n get her head out , needs secured or could cause an accident

Is this a joke? Do you seriously allow your dog to do this and find it funny?

As Nix said if you break suddenly - thats him through the windscreen and most likely dead.

Also you would get pulled over if the police saw that - as well as I have heard insurance policies being invalid if an accident is caused by a dog who isnt retrained in the car.

Please have some common sense!

First off, welcome to the forum. If you've not already picked up on it, a lot of members here are very passionate about their Huskies and all dogs in general.

A few things for you to consider:

Your dog is most likely scared of what it is seeing as you drive down the road. It is best to keep your dog secured in the back seat area of the vehicle or in the cargo area (not the trunk).

Yes, in some jurisdictions, driving with an unsecured dog or any dog in the front seat, can result in a ticket.

Accidents do happen, even when all precautions are taken. Having a dog in the front, distracting the driver, just adds a tremendous amount of unnecessary risk. An insurance company could, following an accident, deny a claim if the investigation were to show that a dog was the probable cause of the accident. That alone would make it not worth having the dog up front.

While it may seem funny to some, upon more deliberate consideration, I think you'll find it is not as funny as first thought. Not only is the dog at risk, but so is the driver, other passengers in the vehicle, and others on the roadway.

Yes I do agree that it can be hazardous for a dog to be out of the seat belt. This was taken on dirt road in front of the dog park. In my car yes I usually have the harness to make sure they dont splatter against my windshield. I was hoping other people would have stories about their huskeis crying all the time.

Yes I do agree that it can be hazardous for a dog to be out of the seat belt. This was taken on dirt road in front of the dog park. In my car yes I usually have the harness to make sure they dont splatter against my windshield. I was hoping other people would have stories about their huskeis crying all the time.

:eek:Oh no, you must show him to stay in the back seat and lie down, we have ours in the backseat and restrained-we started early on as we insisted he go everywhere with us spending time with us that would otherwise be time alone at home for him, so knowing this ahead of time, meant learning car rules for him-such as, when you let him in the vehicle, make sure you move your front seat forward so he knows to go into the back-he will get used to this. They are very precious and should be transported safely for both your sakes-they only have one life.;)

Greeting bfuglein - and where did that come from? Welcome to the best Husky forum going.

From me, my answer is 'Nope!' Misty's spot in my jeep is where the back seat used to be (it's really a 1/4 ton truck now)

She, too, heads to the back end and goes to sleep - especially if we're going any distance (more than into town which is 15 miles). She may, upon occasion put her head on my shoulder by the window so she can get some fresh air or just to look out and see what's going past.

While I tend to agree that with an active dog, like his, some restraint is called for (getting into the drivers face is not the place to be!) I also tend to think that some restraint on the part of our members could have made his welcome a bit more welcoming. It felt to me like you were "calling him down" without even saying "Hi!".... Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiment but not the delivery.

Greeting bfuglein - and where did that come from? Welcome to the best Husky forum going.

From me, my answer is 'Nope!' Misty's spot in my jeep is where the back seat used to be (it's really a 1/4 ton truck now)

She, too, heads to the back end and goes to sleep - especially if we're going any distance (more than into town which is 15 miles). She may, upon occasion put her head on my shoulder by the window so she can get some fresh air or just to look out and see what's going past.

While I tend to agree that with an active dog, like his, some restraint is called for (getting into the drivers face is not the place to be!) I also tend to think that some restraint on the part of our members could have made his welcome a bit more welcoming. It felt to me like you were "calling him down" without even saying "Hi!".... Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiment but not the delivery.

Thank you for the welcome.

First off, welcome to the forum. If you've not already picked up on it, a lot of members here are very passionate about their Huskies and all dogs in general.

Your dog is most likely scared of what it is seeing as you drive down the road. It is best to keep your dog secured in the back seat area of the vehicle or in the cargo area (not the trunk).

Yes, in some jurisdictions, driving with an unsecured dog or any dog in the front seat, can result in a ticket.

Accidents do happen, even when all precautions are taken. Having a dog in the front, distracting the driver, just adds a tremendous amount of unnecessary risk. An insurance company could, following an accident, deny a claim if the investigation were to show that a dog was the probable cause of the accident. That alone would make it not worth having the dog up front.

While it may seem funny to some, upon more deliberate consideration, I think you'll find it is not as funny as first thought. Not only is the dog at risk, but so is the driver, other passengers in the vehicle, and others on the roadway.

I appreciate your consideration. In all honesty I have never seen anybody I know have their dog in a dog restraint. I have heard of them, but they must not be required in my state.

:eek:Oh no, you must show him to stay in the back seat and lie down, we have ours in the backseat and restrained-we started early on as we insisted he go everywhere with us spending time with us that would otherwise be time alone at home for him, so knowing this ahead of time, meant learning car rules for him-such as, when you let him in the vehicle, make sure you move your front seat forward so he knows to go into the back-he will get used to this. They are very precious and should be transported safely for both your sakes-they only have one life.;)

Your dog is rediculously good looking I would love to add him to my blog. Let me know if your interested, I am a graphic design major and love to photoshop dogs in my spare time.

I heard that huskies shouldn't look outside a window of a moving car because they have a hard time focusing. When i got my husky the first time it loved to climb on my lap while I drive

Now that's odd; if we're traveling country roads Misty's apt to be up looking for rabbits and let's me know if she sees one! When I go over to Houston area, she's up and looking around every time I go through a town or city, anyplace where my speed may change. On the open highway, she's zonked out till something get's her attention - often hours at a time. I don't think she has any difficulty focusing as she'll look at other animals as we pass them / they pass us on the road.

When I got my girl from the breeder she said to make sure they dont look outside the window, I havnt took my husky anywhere expect the vet, later that day. Navi have only been in the car twice because she was still vul to parvo and such. But good to know she can gaze away.

Ya I will look into it for sure. Dog seat belts are not that common in my area, I truly dont know anybody who uses them. However, I do not need my dog crashing into the dash at 80 mph. Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to reading and posting threads.

Front Seat

• There are no laws that govern where your pet sits in your car; however, for your dog's safety, your safety and the safety of other drivers, you should not allow your pet to ride in the front seat.

If you have to make a sudden stop, your dog can be thrown through the windshield. There is also the risk of your pet climbing into the driver's seat and interfering with your driving. He could also be thrown into the floor and interfere with your access to gas and brake pedals.

Airbags also pose a risk to pets. If the airbag were to deploy, it has enough force to potentially injure a dog.

Restraints

• Again, the law does not require that you restrain your pet in a vehicle; however, for everyone's safety, pets should not be allowed to ride unrestrained. Unrestrained pets can interfere with driving, become hazardous projectiles if there is an accident, or hit or go through the windshield.

There are several options for restraining a pet inside a car. Most pet supply stores sell harnesses that double as seat belts for dogs. A pet barrier across the back seat of your vehicle is an option. Or, you can place your dog in a crate.

This is from your state but I don't feel there should be a law on this as common sense should tell anyone they should be restrained in a moving car :)

umm.. I don't think that's normal at all O_O but I'm sorry, can't provide you with any advice :( Diamond never make any sound if he's in the car.. Probably because he can't see things moving so fast from the window? Idk about huskies, but some dogs--mostly herding dogs--feel insecure if they see things moving away from them. They want to chase it and bring it back, that's why they keep whining and barking :)

Hi and sorry for not welcoming you in my first post, i just saw your husky in that video and was angry, welcome to the site and to answer your question the howling in the car is just excitement alfie did it the first few times but soon realised it does not get him there any faster and he sleeps now, as for the seat belt thing please for your huskies sake put a belt on him it does not matter about how far your travelling or even on a dirt track accidents can happen. Again welcome and would love to see more pics.

I also tend to think that some restraint on the part of our members could have made his welcome a bit more welcoming. It felt to me like you were "calling him down" without even saying "Hi!".... Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiment but not the delivery.

@Al Jones I think most of the members posting at the start were simply reacting to the obvious and immediate danger of the situation.

@bfueglein How about a proper introduction in the "Introductions" section of the forum (with lots of pics :)) so we can get to know you

and welcome you to the forum properly without the distraction of the video. :)