Is this normal behavior?

bfueglein

yes also im sorry i did not welcome you to the site :) u will find that this is one of the best most friendliest sites out there - however it was VERY shocking to see your dog trying to climb all over the driver of the car - thats very dangerous - also no mine dont cry when its time to go for a ride

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours sit quietly in the boot and we have a metal guard to stop them from climbing over and into the back seats. The one time before we got the guard, They both climbed over into the back seats but then they lay down and went to sleep for the journey. We decided this was not a safe means of travel so we got the metal guard the same day for the return journey. Having a dog climb all over you when you are driving is extremely dangerous for you, the dog and everybody else in the vehicle.

Wow can really see the love and protection for our beloved furbabies from the first few posts...I think it was very mature of you not to lash out about what was said and that you understand we just love our babies and want them to be safe...

Also I think and agree with the other posts that it is just excitement Bella is normal quiet in the car but if we are going to the park she realises about 4ish streets away and starts going nutz!!! howling, woo and barking and moving all about and jumping at the window so don't be too worried about it prolly just happy to be in the car =D

Also I know you say others in your area don't use car belts for dogs and that no one sells them but I'm sure if you look on ebay/amazon or such you can find one I really do agree with others would be in best interest for you and you're furbabie <3

...I also tend to think that some restraint on the part of our members could have made his welcome a bit more welcoming. It felt to me like you were "calling him down" without even saying "Hi!".... Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiment but not the delivery.

100% totally agree!

Welcome to the forum

You know, I realize safety is important in modern times, but come on. When I was a kid there were no seat belt laws. We'd just pile in and go. And guess what? When I was a kid there were no such thing as bicycle helmets. It's amazing the human race survived! But our generation seemed keep going. By the way, while I Agee it's a good idea to have your dog restrained, in America most places either have no law about it or rarely enforce it. Just sayin.

I'm going off-topic (again) Would one of you brits please define "boot" as you're using it here. I've seen references to back seat, trunk and boot; I presume a back seat and trunk mean the same thing they do here in the states - but what the blazes is a boot. The only time I've seen "boot"used like that here, they were referring to a rumble seat .... so ?????

I'm going off-topic (again) Would one of you brits please define "boot" as you're using it here. I've seen references to back seat, trunk and boot; I presume a back seat and trunk mean the same thing they do here in the states - but what the blazes is a boot. The only time I've seen "boot"used like that here, they were referring to a rumble seat .... so ?????

nono, The Boot is the same as the Trunk :)

Welcome!

My boy talks a bit like that only within a few blocks of a familiar destination like the dog park or the vet's (he actually likes going to the vet's).

Have you tried putting him in the back with a stuffed Kong or something else to distract him and keep him occupied? And/or maybe tried taking him for a long walk before putting him in the car?

Good luck. He sure is beautiful (and talkative!).

I'm sure this is his excitement building and it's overflowing through his mouth into Husky noises.

Personally i'd try to keep him in the backseat while you're driving. I don't use any sort of restraints in the car or truck, i've just taught the dogs to not come to the front seat.

My dog does this when she knows we are going somewhere she likes. I often take her to the pet store and the dog park and when we get off the exit she gets soooo excited. However, you need to get a barrier for the car and keep him in the back so he doesn't cause an accident or get hurt.

Sounds like my Jack when he's not the first one out the door for our walk. I also thought about our new harnesses...they came with seat belt hooks that will attach with a slide loop to the seat belt in the back seat. We will definitely start to use them next time we take them in the car as they are all over each other and back and forth in the back seat. Not sure they'll like it, but certain they'll get used to it, just like everything else.:bananadance1:

Hi and sorry for not welcoming you in my first post, i just saw your husky in that video and was angry, welcome to the site and to answer your question the howling in the car is just excitement alfie did it the first few times but soon realised it does not get him there any faster and he sleeps now, as for the seat belt thing please for your huskies sake put a belt on him it does not matter about how far your travelling or even on a dirt track accidents can happen. Again welcome and would love to see more pics.

yes thank you for the welcome and as a matter of fact I have bought him a harness for the car. He doesnt like it but its no louder than whats in the video.

Wow can really see the love and protection for our beloved furbabies from the first few posts...I think it was very mature of you not to lash out about what was said and that you understand we just love our babies and want them to be safe...

Also I think and agree with the other posts that it is just excitement Bella is normal quiet in the car but if we are going to the park she realises about 4ish streets away and starts going nutz!!! howling, woo and barking and moving all about and jumping at the window so don't be too worried about it prolly just happy to be in the car =D

Also I know you say others in your area don't use car belts for dogs and that no one sells them but I'm sure if you look on ebay/amazon or such you can find one I really do agree with others would be in best interest for you and you're furbabie <3

I have found one and it is waiting to be worn by the little guy!

Hello, and :welcome:! Glad to hear that you have gotten a harness to restrain him - he's gorgeous! I usually don't restrain my guys when they ride in the cab of my pickup (I have a box made for transporting multiple dogs on the bed), but they are required to stay in the back seat and behave themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

:doglaugh:" Your kidding right?" you seriously drive with your dogs loose in the front, i could never do that, animals are unpredictable and shouldnt be allowed to roam free while your driving, what if a child ran out in front of you ? it dosent bear t think about does it,what if it was another driver that had their dog jumping about in their car and ran you or a family member over?

I agree that the husky's whineing was funny but thats all, i have not heard my luna making that noise of yet, she is only 7 mths so maybe she will pick up some weird behaviour..

PLS PLS think of other road users and your dogs safety, i see my dogs as kids and i would never drive with them un-belted..

:angry2::kimba2:

I always would rather crate mine, I know that isn't an option for everyone, but it's safer than letting them roam. I make mine lay in the back seat and be still the whole way, and they usually end up falling asleep on each other.