Troika: The Fixer-Upper Pupper. PICS.

Kayote

It has been a while since I have posted here, mainly because work has me in a choke-hold, but with a switch of jobs, I feel carefree once more! Harhar.

Anyway, a friend of mine found a Sibe near her home, panting heavily in the sun near a dumpster. She took him in (he walked right up to her, wagging his tail and all) and bathed him. However, she can't keep him. Working at a vet office as a groomer, I decided it would be best that I take him in and treat what ails him.

Which is a lot.

Troika (AKA Troy) has an awful case of heartworms, demodectic mange, massive hair loss, worms of every kind, chipped teeth from cribbing, and underweight by 7 to 10 lbs (doesn't sound like much but it makes all the difference!) I wanted to share this with ya'll to keep you guys updated on him, and show his progress into becoming a healthy little man. Thank goodness for employee discounts and account charges. :S Eesk.

Please pay for a speedy, lesser-pain recovery :C

Mind if I post a few pictures? :)

Coworker holding Troy.

Image1.png

Coworker holding Troy.

Image4.png

Image2.png

Image6.png

Image5.png

Image7.png

Image3.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the text I can understand why he doesn't look too happy. But I see he's talking to you in one picture.

That's not Hestors clinic, so you must be over at Rose-Rich??

Welcome to the joys of Husky ownership and hope you get all the ills taken care of quickly for both your sakes. After he's all healthy I'll let you know when I'm coming back that way and we can schedule a Husky play date.

//al

After reading the text I can understand why he doesn't look too happy. But I see he's talking to you in one picture.

That's not Hestors clinic, so you must be over at Rose-Rich??

Welcome to the joys of Husky ownership and hope you get all the ills taken care of quickly for both your sakes. After he's all healthy I'll let you know when I'm coming back that way and we can schedule a Husky play date.

//al

Absolutely! I am a groomer there! :D I would love to schedule a playdate. He is rather adorable with other dogs. Very polite. That's awesome that you know the area. I kind of felt like a fish out of water. I felt like the only Texan here xD Hah.

No the only Texan by a long shot; there are several of us on here. Take a look at the member map http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/memberMap/ and you'll see, you can even pin yourself while you're there.

I used to use Hestor when I lived in Rosenberg and Needville but you've had my Lab a time or two overnight. You're both good clinics, Hestor was closer!

I'm living in the Big Bend area now, but head back to Wharton to visit friends every 2 - 3 months.

Maye if we get enough of us on here we can turn it from a UK forum into a Texan forum! :)

No the only Texan by a long shot; there are several of us on here. Take a look at the member map http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/memberMap/ and you'll see, you can even pin yourself while you're there.

I used to use Hestor when I lived in Rosenberg and Needville but you've had my Lab a time or two overnight. You're both good clinics, Hestor was closer!

I'm living in the Big Bend area now, but head back to Wharton to visit friends every 2 - 3 months.

Maye if we get enough of us on here we can turn it from a UK forum into a Texan forum! :)

Hah! Right! Yeah, it's a pretty awesome clinic. I started working there in April, after the long-loved groomer left. I ended up taking the job after working at a Petsomething job. :S Had to stop that real quick. But yes! Whenever you head over, send me a PM! I will go pin myself on the map now..

Congrats on your new addition, and good on ya for being willing to take him on and help him get healthy. Best wishes for a prompt recovery. He's already stunning -- cannot wait to see progressive pics of him as he continues to improve under your care. :)

Well done for taking him in.

Poor boy looks like he's been living rough for a while.

Please keep us posted.

:)

Thanks, everyone, for being so supportive! We are making Satin Balls today to get him started on eating. Apparently, he's not big on eating dog food. :S So we are trying to slowly get him into eating appropriate food. I am figuring he was eating human trash for a while.

In order to have him start his heartworm treatment, he needs to gain a few more pounds to get started for that weight bracket. Yikes! I'll shove his food down his throat if I have to. Haha, just kidding, but you know what I mean. :I Ugh. And I have always wanted a male dog. What's funny is that he is NEUTERED. The poor thing looked just awful, but he was neutered. And he never really learned to lift his leg, either.

Thanks, everyone, for being so supportive! We are making Satin Balls today to get him started on eating. Apparently, he's not big on eating dog food. :S So we are trying to slowly get him into eating appropriate food. I am figuring he was eating human trash for a while.

In order to have him start his heartworm treatment, he needs to gain a few more pounds to get started for that weight bracket. Yikes! I'll shove his food down his throat if I have to. Haha, just kidding, but you know what I mean. :I Ugh. And I have always wanted a male dog. What's funny is that he is NEUTERED. The poor thing looked just awful, but he was neutered. And he never really learned to lift his leg, either.

Poor little guy. So glad he found you! The heartworm treatments are so hard on them, I hate to hear he has to endure it. Do you know how advanced the disease is?

Poor little guy. So glad he found you! The heartworm treatments are so hard on them, I hate to hear he has to endure it. Do you know how advanced the disease is?

On a strip heartworm test, it showed up in TWO minutes, which means it's pretty bad. The heartworm had time to create some babies and make a home in there for quite some time. It's going to be a grueling two months. I am so worried for him.

On a strip heartworm test, it showed up in TWO minutes, which means it's pretty bad. The heartworm had time to create some babies and make a home in there for quite some time. It's going to be a grueling two months. I am so worried for him.

Oh wow. :( How active is he? I ask because you're going to have to do everything possible to keep him calm during treatment. If he's a typical Sibe you might want to ask the vet for some medication to keep him calm during the most dangerous parts of the treatment. If he gets the blood pumping at the wrong time it could be very bad for him.

Heartworms are just awful.

I found Misty at the Fort Bend Shelter with collar intact (no tags, though). After a few rounds with her, I assume that the previous owners had decided that her running off once too many times was enough. That might, also, be the case with him. Though to go to the expense of having him neutered and not have the interest in keeping him home just indicates that they didn't know the dog (and potential pleasure) they had.

Glad you've gotten him and hope the HW treatment goes smoothly, it can be so rough on a dog ...

I think they got a husky, noticed he shed a lot, and woowoo'd and did husky-things, you know, and decided to dump him outside and forget all about him. His teeth are clear evidence of a cribbing behavior, so he probably crewed on a gate of some sort, and probably got out that way. Either way, how can you NOT look outside, look at your dog and go "ack! His fur is disappearing, and he's all itchy. At least let's go get him checked out and shaved (ugh) if we have to." But I guess I think people are better than they really are. His elbows lack fur, so he's been outside for a very long time.

I dunno. But yeah. :/

Right now, he is pretty chill, kind of quiet when it comes to action. But I will be giving him sedatives (ace, probably) to keep him calm. Oi. lol

Wow - what a lucky guy he was to find you! Not sure how much experience you have using ace... I've found with my "old man", who was on it to help with pain and nausea (he was also on Tramadol, and you aren't supposed to give anti-nausea drugs with Tramadol), that 1/4 of a 10mg tablet was enough to make him fairly sleepy! I gave him a whole 10mg tablet the first dose, and it completely put him out for well over 12 hours - getting him out to pee was a real problem.

I hope and pray that all goes well for him - please keep us updated! :)