What's in a name?

Franklin Phil

What is the reason you gave your dog his name? Does it have any meaning? Does it just sound cool?

Admittedly, I didn't name any of my dogs, but here goes...

Lady bug, our golden retriever. I have no idea. My wife named it.

Adak, Husky- Adak Island, Alaska

Mokoto, husky- the guy I rescued him from explained that he'd had another husky that he adored that died rather tragically. Heartbroken, he went back to the breeder where he'd gotten his dog and was able to get a puppy that would've been the nephew of his dog that passed on. Mokoto means nephew in Japanese (though I haven't confirmed this)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My husky: Kuma which is Japanese for bear. His name when he came to us was Bear and is still often used along with Kuma a.k.a. Kuma Bear. We tend to like more unusual names and decided upon Kuma

My pit bull: Koopa as in the koopa troopas from Mario. Me and my boyfriend are a bit on the nerdy side, our old red nose pit bull was named Bowser.

Bo came with the name Captain Barbosa (Pirates of the Caribbean), Barbosa for short. Sons refused to call him by this name so it got shortened to Bosa and then down to Bo. Only gets called Bosa if he is not doing as he should be or has done something naughty. Beau is French for beautiful, so Bo suits him as we think he is beautiful. They nearly called him Captain Jack Sparrow.

I'm wondering if this is the third thread that is talking about name meaning? O_O Maybe I'm wrong =P anyway it is always nice to tell people about Diamond's name. Well, first of all, I don't name him. He came with his name and I just don't have the heart to change it. "Diamond" fits him! ^0^ He's so precious and he makes everyone stops for a while to take a look at him LOL but I must admit whoever named him must be a lazy person. "Diamond" is just a piece of his official name--> Diamond von Disney.

My little Girl is Mavi. Her registered name is "Mavi kuort". Mavi is Turkish for Blue. Kuort is Turkish for Wolf thus we got Blue Wolf cuz she has blue eyes. (we have a Turkish theme with our pets. Our cat is Tulay (too-lie) which is moon beam also a type of flower. :)

My little Girl is Mavi. Her registered name is "Mavi kuort". Mavi is Turkish for Blue. Kuort is Turkish for Wolf thus we got Blue Wolf cuz she has blue eyes. (we have a Turkish theme with our pets. Our cat is Tulay (too-lie) which is moon beam also a type of flower. :)

Welcome and I look forward to see pictures of both Mavi and Tulay. The picture of her in your avatar is lovely.

BlueWolf is also the username of one of our most-active member! LOL and there's a new member that owns a baby girl called Navi =P

<< snipped >>

Mokoto, husky- the guy I rescued him from explained that he'd had another husky that he adored that died rather tragically. Heartbroken, he went back to the breeder where he'd gotten his dog and was able to get a puppy that would've been the nephew of his dog that passed on. Mokoto means nephew in Japanese (though I haven't confirmed this)

The only translation I can find for nephew is "oi", I can't find any translation at all for Mokoto. Well, except finally for one

悾 mokoto

naive, guileless, simple-minded

from http://www.cojak.org/index.php?term=mokoto&function=kJapaneseKun_lookup.

Curiousity is a wondrous things - as long as it can be satisfied (and mine isn't) any native Japanese speakers out there??

Marley and Tia were rescues and we kept their names,Shadow....not only is she black and white,she is my shadow!!!

more commonly they get

Oi,Enough,Stop It,and You Lil' Sh**!!!!! (they answer to these;))

Then we haave

Marley moo'

Shadrags

Tia Maria

its a wonder they know their names at all:lolman:

The only translation I can find for nephew is "oi", I can't find any translation at all for Mokoto. Well, except finally for one

悾 mokoto

naive, guileless, simple-minded

from http://www.cojak.org/index.php?term=mokoto&function=kJapaneseKun_lookup.

Curiousity is a wondrous things - as long as it can be satisfied (and mine isn't) any native Japanese speakers out there??

I speak a lil' bit of Japanese but I also can't confirm that Mokoto means nephew =\ sounds like it is correct tho! =P

Well Marley was named Marley as we couldnt decide on a name, we were going through names and one was saying no the other was saying yeah ect........... then I said the name Marley and everyone shouted yes at the same time so I guess Marley it was LOL.

Bear because he was called Nanook when he first arrived here with us but for some unknown reason he wasnt responding to his name. A few days into him coming here I was talking to my partner about him not responding and we were trying alsort of different ways to pronounce it but nothing was working. Anyway a little later my brother and Tony was saying he looked like a Bear and he responded to the word 'Bear' then to check it wasnt coincidence my brother said 'Bear' and he responded again. We figured he looked like a big cuddly bear, So from then on he was called Bear :D

We were in the car on the way to have a look at puppies and had seen pics of them on the advert, we originally wanted another one who had an ear down but he looked more like a german shepherd. Anyways I just came out with "I know we can call him Storm" and we hadnt even picked the puppy yet!!!!!! Once we set eyes on him we decided he was our little Storm.

Angel well she is a rescue so I didnt pick her name, the chip company however told me her name was Crystal. When called it she didnt seem to want to respond to it and since she was mistreated I decided it may provoke bad memories so I decided to never mention it again.

we once fostered a dog named bella for a weekend she was a mastif and big brown and beautiful but we couldnt keep her i cried when she left =( so when i went to look at my bella they asked what i wanted to call her n bella popped straight into my head so bella it was =D bella the mastif now has a nice home with some people who live about 10mins away have seen her twice since they gave her a forever home and shes very happy there <3

Tikaani apparently means 'wolf' in Native South American. I had a list of names as long as my arm and couldn't decide which one. When I went to view the pups, all her brothers and sisters were pure white, and Tikka was the one that had 'wolf' colour, so that decided the name :D.....she's my little Tikkabell lol

I also had the name before the dog! the birds name is blitzen.. it is german for lightning (as donner is thunder). nothing to do with fooking christmas reindeers! lol.. god it bores me when i get asked about donner grr! Logan was named before we got him

and i'm sure that the constant addition of new members means this wont be the last name thread either lol

Did someone called me? Lol! :D

I don't really have an idea how the names Glala and Dana where chosen, gonna ask Ruth if I see here. The breeder came from Denmark but I don't think these are "typical" names from there? Glala is not quite a name foreigners can pronounce properly, we like our hard "G"s :D

The Ruth's daughter has a dog who came with the name Dara. So now there are often three dogs running around in the same house with the names Glala, Dana and Dara. You only have to call one name and they'll all come though :P

Did someone called me? Lol! :D

I don't really have an idea how the names Glala and Dana where chosen, gonna ask Ruth if I see here. The breeder came from Denmark but I don't think these are "typical" names from there? Glala is not quite a name foreigners can pronounce properly, we like our hard "G"s :D

The Ruth's daughter has a dog who came with the name Dara. So now there are often three dogs running around in the same house with the names Glala, Dana and Dara. You only have to call one name and they'll all come though :P

you know what? I always have this one question I wanna ask you--> are you sure Glala and Dana aren't twins? O_O I don't know which one is Glala and which one is Dana! >.< they're both cute, they're both redheads, they both has brown eyes, they're both... they're both everything x)

you know what? I always have this one question I wanna ask you--> are you sure Glala and Dana aren't twins? O_O I don't know which one is Glala and which one is Dana! >.< they're both cute, they're both redheads, they both has brown eyes, they're both... they're both everything x)

They are half sisters. They have a different father but share the same mother. The owner (Ruth) originally only had Glala actually. Due to some issues on the breeder's side he was put out of his house together with all his huskies. Ruth offered him and his huskies a temporary home in her own house until he had everything sorted again. I believe that where about 5 or 6 huskies roaming in her house :D After the breeder had a home again he saw that Glala and Dana had gotten very attached to each other in the mean time. He decided to give Dana to her as a free gift as he really appreciated that he was allowed to use her home in the mean time :)

They're very different in behaviour as well. Dana loves everyone, but is somewhat uncertain towards strange dogs. Glala loves other dogs, but can act someone odd with people who don't know/understand her.

Andy (the r/w) came with his name. Seems he'd already had a few others, and each time he'd been rehomed, it was changed. He answered to it and it seemed to fit! Jackson got his because of my sick humor and thought it would be fun to have "Andrew Jackson" and besides, he came with the name Miller, which was yes, after the "beer". Couldn't keep that and he started answering to Jackson immediately with the help of a few treats! They both have numerous nicknames that they answer to..most recently...Prince Andrew and Tigger!:doglaugh:

Taiya was called Ice when we rescued her but as she didn't respond to it and we thought it didn't suit her we looked for something different. The Taiya River is a 17-mile-long (27 km) river in the U.S. state of Alaska running from the border with British Columbia, Canada, to the Taiya Inlet of upper Lynn Canal (thank you wiki!).

Blue was called Blue from birth, as far as we can tell, thought it suited him with his Blue eyes so kept it - and he still only answers to it when he's in the mood LOL!

Echo was originally called Ginny.

When we rehomed her we didn't like the name, so she became Echo, she responded straight away.

Daughtry we got as a pup at 8 weeks and was originally Koda

However once we joined the forum within a month there were 5 or 6 Koda's and Kodahs so

we changed her to Daughtry (after the rock singer).