<<WARNING>> A morbid question

Franklin Phil

I've always been curious about all the small furries Adak had killed that I found in the yard. Never a spot of blood, or really any apparent damage. When we were talking, Mokodo's owner described HIS long list of prey the same way. I'm wondering if this common. Is this how you've found your puppy's victims? I'm trying desperately not to be too graphic.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't you think given the chance, that the dogs try and......consume them? That has never been the case with Adak, or Mokodo.

i dunno - i think skyla might but blaze just wanted to play with the frog - he was chucking it up in the air n pouncing on it - there was deffo no prey drive involved in it

A lot of the time puppies will hold their "prey" quite gently but they end up shaking them from side to side which probably snaps their neck. Either that or ditto to the post above ; )

My dogs are not puppies. They're full grown hunters. I live in the forest so lots of critters around. I have no doubt their necks are broken. Just wonder Why the game ends there? No feast on the bounty?

My dogs are not puppies. They're full grown hunters. I live in the forest so lots of critters around. I have no doubt their necks are broken. Just wonder Why the game ends there? No feast on the bounty?

If they bring them back home then they're hunting for the pack.

YOU as Alpha of the pack have first GO on the kill.

Tuck in :)

Something the vet said when I was working at my clinic last Wednesday made sense in regards to this. She was spaying a dog, and it was much more bloody than usual - and I was surprised, as I thought of it, that usually a spay isn't terribly bloody! She said she had cut "just off the midline" - which caused her to cut into muscle tissue, which bleeds.

The dogs are crushing or shaking small prey, they aren't cutting into the muscle tissue, which would release blood. As to why they don't generally try to eat their prey, I know that mine don't generally eat mice or moles when they get them, I'm not sure what they'd do with a rabbit or another larger animal, but baby bunnies, at least when hairless morsels, are considered to be quite edible, as are baby birds - which don't have a lot of feathers, so the 'naked' skin may be a factor, as could be the lack of blood. They are certainly quick enough to snarf down raw chicken! :jawdrop:

Fox hasn't killed anything...but when he's playing with Tink he usually goes straight for the neck. I can see how that would result in broken necks...

Tinkerbell our beagle on the other hand has taken out three baby rabbits, 2 mice, and a frog that my daughter brought home as a playmate...no I didn't know about the Frog until after the fact...she is forever driving me nuts with the various animals she's bringing home.

Misty does and will hunt for food - I have no doubts and with her it is *not* play! She's brought a couple of rabbits home to finish and sometimes she has blood on her coat so I know that when she's off leash and running she's getting herself a meal.

We also have some small deer here and an acquaintance said that her saw her dragging one off into the brush. I went out the next day and found nothing and Misty wasn't excited so I don't know if he was exaggerating or what. ( 'course with buzzards and coyotes there often isn't anything left overnight! )

Oddly she seems to know that chickens around someones house are *not* prey and leaves them alone, not sure what she do if someone had rabbits.

Mine have tried to stalk next doors cat

and get nowhere they are like bulls in a china shop!!

they also go squirrel chasing in the woods.........haha as if they can catch them.

thankfully they have not caught anything

i remember my cat bringing in his trophy mouse''hey mum aren't i clever''

i cried and had to bury it:eek:

Some animals die from shock or broken necks as the above have stated. But, I have seen dogs crush the animal like squeeze it and the animal basically suffocates.

Yep, this ^, Shock can take a little while to cause death, unless it causes a fatal heart attack, for small prey 9/10 it'll be the shake that snaps the neck, suffocation is also a possibility, the jaws crushing th windpipe - this will be more common in larger prey.

Apologies for being graphic :P

Yep, this ^, Shock can take a little while to cause death, unless it causes a fatal heart attack, for small prey 9/10 it'll be the shake that snaps the neck, suffocation is also a possibility, the jaws crushing th windpipe - this will be more common in larger prey.

Apologies for being graphic :P

I have seen dogs crush a squirrels lungs til it suffocates same with rabbits.

Bella hasn't killed anything =D thankfully but i think it's more of a yet she has chased 2 magpies into the house to fly n poop all over my kitchen till I caught them and let them out...she also gives every toy the death shake flinging it back and forth..so i think if she caught something it wouldnt last long...All our neighbours have cats which tease bella sitting on the fence or running thur the backyard when she is inside watching thru the window

I'm sure her day will come to catch herself a yummy treat