Unsolicited, Unauthorized Editorial

Mazz

I'm on the forum several times a day. I post on a regular basis, but I'm nowhere near the frenzy of a poster as is Nix. In fact, there are posts that I start, and complete, but then cancel. Just happened a few minutes ago. I had all my ducks in a row, all my facts were sure, my opinion was firm, and I was going to make a point. And then I canceled my post.

So why did I cancel posting? Because I am not an authority on Huskies. I'm a Husky Owner, just like every member on this forum. I am still learning, and my comments would not have encouraged or promoted, but would have discouraged and demoted. And that's not what this forum is about. I do, however, feel better. Simply typing those words, and the impact they would have had, helped me to vent a bit, I suppose. It's just that now, no one will ever know.

I know this is an editorial of sorts, and may bore some to the verge, if not past, the point of tears. Some of us have come into Husky Ownership, without a clue of what we were getting into. Some of us, even after having a Husky around for some time, remain clueless. And of course, there are those of us who thought we knew everything there was to know about Huskies before we took a Husky into our life. So to those of us who know what to expect with having a Husky, who understand the tips and tricks along with the pits and quirks of Husky Ownership, don't you think we have an obligation to help those who are grasping for help? Of course we do.

So the next time, you feel a bit put out about a post that you strongly disagree with, or with a poster that you feel may be less than worthy to have a Husky, take a few minutes to chill, and think about the words you will be putting onto the this sheet of paper we call Husky-Owners.com.

Will your words encourage and promote? Or will those words discourage and demote? If the former, post away. If the latter, I hope you'll reconsider and hit cancel.

Husky Owners is in deed, a warm and friendly forum. If one were to look up "warm and friendly forum" in the dictionary, an image of the Husky-Owners home page is right there. But it is also a reflection of its members. Sometimes being warm and friendly takes an effort, sometimes it comes easy.

In a few weeks, this thread will be buried in the annals of the forum. It may reappear if someone searches for a term that happens to be within. Otherwise, the moment in time will pass, and soon be forgotten. Just remember the hard work and dedication that goes into making this forum happen, not only on a daily basis, but a minute-by-minute basis. Don't let a few misplaced or misguided words that you feel are so important, undermine what this forum represents. Because this forum represents all of us.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

such a fab post mazz - n one i think SHOULDNT be lost amongst others - i also owe all i know about these gorgeous animals to this forum - people say - i know everything n im the husky expert - but alas it is not true! i havent even owned my huskies for as long as some members on here - yourself, gigi and becky, dunc and sue even sarah and marc - everything i know is down to this forum and lots of reading of web pages and books

i also couldnt agree more about the cancel button - i know i sometimes post with my heart leading me and not my head - tho i do like to think i have my moments where i re-consider what im putting and i change it :)

awesome post! would 'like' it more if i could

I had to click on the X last night - I didn't even compose a post, as I was quite angry, although I did compose several in my head. The original poster of the post that made me angry will probably never be back, and I can't say I blame that person. Several people once again attacked this poor person as a pack - and they showed no mercy! Yes, the person said/did something ignorant - but that's what it was - ignorance!

Please, take time to educate people who come here, and realize that how you say something is often the most important part of your message! If someone feels that they are being attacked, they stop listening! You can NOT educate someone by "yelling" at them or attacking them! So --- write your post, walk away a little while if you need to, then come back and read it again as if someone had written it about you, and ask yourself how YOU would feel in that situation!

(I was going to come back and post later, but got involved doing school work which was due, and ran out of time! Thanks for a wonderful post, @Mazz !)

@Mazz and @sutsibe

both of you have made fantastic posts and hopefully they will be read and ''listened to''

i do get angry sometimes and i do try not to come across as viscious in my posts,i would hate to think i stopped someone from returning to seek

further help and advice or indeed to share their experiences!

There is a way of pointing something out,which may be a little sharp but not agressive.

its only by continued reading/sharing and discussing our furries that knowledge can be gained

i for one have learnt so much,and thats even after doing months and months of research beforehand!

And there is the added bonus of coming on here and sharing family situations either funny or serious and just your general life.

its a forum that has got everything!!

I tend to have a rule.... If the post I am about to write would begin with the letter F if not for the forum rules. Probably a good idea not to post LOL

Good post Dave :)

Well said Dave. I know that people on the forum are passionate. Unfortunately the posts that I see the most lashing out is at new members. None of us were born with the knowledge and I'd venture to guess many of us knew very little when our first husky was dumped on our doorstep. Very good write up Dave. We should sticky that at least for a while.

Can I hit the like button a thousand times??? I really hope your post is taken to heart. I'm pretty shocked at some of the rudeness that gets posted when someone is seeking help and they don't even wait to get the full picture. How can you judge someone in a matter of two or three sentences? All of us have it in us to say something really stupid and post something that sounds one way but meant to be another. Ask more questions before you jump to conclusions and if you still don't agree, that doesn't give you permission to annihilate. It's amazing how you can help educate and even change someone's point of view if you speek to them intelligantly and with kindness. EVERY dog is different no matter the breed. A technique can work for one dog but not another. Your way isn't always the best way. My two are like night and day. What works for Dakota does not always work for Willow. I am truly thankful for having this place to reach out to when I am unsure of myself. Great post Dave!

Very well put and its something we should all take into consideration. If I feel a point is to be made I try to make it as nice as possible but even then that doesn't mean it won't be taken harshly. Perhaps we all, myself included, should put forth a little extra effort to make sure what we post is constructive and as nice as possible. Great post and gives us something to think about.

Great post @Mazz

I believe we can all benefit from considering how our posts maybe perceived by others before posting. If your intention is to educate the OP by giving constructive advice then post away, however if your intention is to cause harm or to berate the OP then click cancel instead.

darn it, I missed another controversial thread. seems like I'm never on during the time this kind of threads appear. Unless it was that thread about that silly individual speaking of huskies protective instincts and how all dogs are the same.

I agree with you up to a certain point. We should encourage and welcome everybody the same way, but sometimes when people are wrong and logic doesnt work, then harsh words it is. IMO

darn it, I missed another controversial thread. seems like I'm never on during the time this kind of threads appear. Unless it was that thread about that silly individual speaking of huskies protective instincts and how all dogs are the same.

I agree with you up to a certain point. We should encourage and welcome everybody the same way, but sometimes when people are wrong and logic doesnt work, then harsh words it is. IMO

Nope, you did not miss anything. No sense jumping to conclusions. And, if you feel the need to use harsh words, use some common sense.

common sense is included in the act of trying to speak to someone logically. I always try to be nice and not impose my opinion when commenting. but if someone doesnt listen to logic, reason, commmon sense, or otherwise the collective advice from experienced owners, you have to resort to less amicable words.

common sense is included in the act of trying to speak to someone logically. I always try to be nice and not impose my opinion when commenting. but if someone doesnt listen to logic, reason, commmon sense, or otherwise the collective advice from experienced owners, you have to resort to less amicable words.

There are times when I've seen people (both here and on some of the Facebook groups I'm in - I'm not on any other forums) NOT even try being nice and trying to educate the OP, but jumping in and bashing them from the start, as was the case in the thread that I saw last night (not sure it's the same one Mazz did or not).

I'll say it again - if you start out yelling at or abusing someone, you've lost all chance of them listening to what you have to say, and you've lost all chance at educating them!

I've taken to doing this as well! @Mazz

I type, read, re-write, re-read and cancel a lot of my posts. Then, many times, I just move on to another subject, never to return to the thread again.

Sometimes this happens even when I just want to type in "ENOUGH already" to those of us who've been here through the good and the bad and know better....know I should find my spine, but don't want to stir the turd as we say here in Iowa.

+1

I do that all the time, anger induced or not. I had a whole book written out about a certain neighbor we have, but it was so long that I calmed down half way through and went looking for new posts.

I like to think my posts haven't been too bad. :oops: I hope so. While I didn't offer any advice for what the person was after, I don't think I was too mean. I always reread my anger posts and ask myself how I would receive what I said. While this particular incident may have stung as far as what I said, receiving it certainly would have made me think.

But for the most part I agree.