Dog owner fined £2,000 for use of Shock Collar

Rich & Kody

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a lady tell me the other day that I should get one for Kissuna. I told her there was no way those would work on an average husky. Next time someone tells me that I will tell them they're banned in other parts of the world. Or maybe if they catch me on an off day I will say something snide

The cruelty of this defies words and its a shame he wasn't made to do some sort of community service as well as the fine. I can think of a few nice dog related chores e.g. picking up dog poo out of the local parks for a starter. If dogs are supposed to be man's best friend, I would hate to be an enemy.

Hmmm...

Not so sure...I heard about these and thought no way! So I did a bit of research...

There are e-collars and e-fences which have variable controls, no more than a very small correction as a reminder rather than electrocuting the dog, with these small corrections not resulting in pain but rather a sensation. I've read different views on them, and that on their lowest settings there should be no problem with their use.

As with all training tools, it is how that they are used that becomes the problem...

I would NOT look to use these on Harley however.

Just adding some thoughts.

Best regards,

Smiler

they played a video on the news of it being used a GSD that was chasing sheep....

they let the dog off lead in a field full of sheep and then when the dog run after the sheep they shocked it saying "ohh it dont hurt.... ect"

but as soon as they shocked the dog it run off yelping in pain....... so i dont know how they can say it dont hurt :@ :@ :@

Who the feck, endorses this shit in the first place. Why take this to Market? youdont have to be genious to realise this has no place on the shelves, and that merely by stating you stock an item like this would cause some knd of pro-animal backlash.

Feckers

Electric collars that are used with invisible fences aren't really all that uncommon here. They're marketed as an ideal sort of thing for people who rent or can't afford to put up an actual fence in their yard to keep their dog secured.

There was actually a thread on here a while back where a husky had made it 13 miles to a grocery store and back because their owners used an electric fence with her and it certainly didn't end up with this sort of backlash from the posters here...I couldn't see using an electric fence type collar with a husky or any breed that exhibits a strong desire to wander, high prey drive that happens to be quite good at the art of escape. Mostly because from the reviews and experiences of other people that I've read here and on the internet of dogs with those specific breed characteristics more or less sucking it up...and enduring the discomfort for as long as it takes to get past the barrier so that they can get to their goal...ie wandering/freedom/etc.

In this particular instance I disagree with the use of the collar that the man was prosecuted for not on the basis of cruelty, but on the basis that it is illegal in that portion of the world. Additionally, if the dog has been picked up by animal control/dog wardens enough times for them to have identified it as 'the dog with the shock collar' by regular workers there then its obviously either failing as a training aid or not being used properly. Honestly though how much fault is with the man involved, and how much is the fault with the individuals who were supposed to be responsible for enforcing laws and looking out for animal safety? I'm really dissappointed that a blind eye was turned for so long and that they CHOSE to return the dog with an illegal collar again and again. Why aren't they being prosecuted for failure to report, playing accessory, or the like? If your going to have a law you need to consistantly enforce it, not just pick and choose how and when you're going to do so.

That said, I don't think a £2000 fine is going to keep the dog secured in the yard any better than the collar did...and with that sort of fine I'm doubting that the fence that's the problem is going to be improved or made more secure in the near or distant future. It's great to say this is wrong and shouldn't have happened...but if the goal of a law (as stated in this article) is to promote a positive animal welfare situation again I fail to see how a fine is going to do so when the problem is in this instance...the dog frequently escaping and potentially putting itself in dangerous unspervised positions.

Eh, that's all I got this mornin...

they played a video on the news of it being used a GSD that was chasing sheep....

they let the dog off lead in a field full of sheep and then when the dog run after the sheep they shocked it saying "ohh it dont hurt.... ect"

but as soon as they shocked the dog it run off yelping in pain....... so i dont know how they can say it dont hurt :mad: :mad: :mad:

:eek: they let the dog off just to prove a point!!! :mad: poor thing!