First real walk!

EuphoricDelirium

Stryder finished his boosters/rabies shots last week, so he got to go for his first real walk this evening! He's just over 4 months (was thinking 5, but over calculated, lol). Started him on about 30 mins, and he walked loose lead almost the whole time! Even when a tiny black dog (resembling a rodent more than a canine) followed us most the way marking everything it passed. Most of my neighbors seem to be in the habit of leaving their dogs outside with no leash or fence, so they run into the road =/ But he did his best to ignore it, only pulled a couple times, and seemed to be accepting of corrections. I was so proud! Even if he did think I was cruel for making him go outside at all, lol. But he was sure happy and ready for a nap when we came home!

All tuckered out

post-95-1358607960453_thumb.jpg

post-5469-135859771476_thumb.jpg

Good advice Ian :)

If you over exercise them at a young age.

(and they will be happy to let you do that too!!)

it can cause bone, Hip and joint problems that don't become

apparent until they are older.

That's also why you shouldn't work or run them until they are at

least a year old.

Very good advice, and I greatly appreciate any and all advice thrown my way. This is my first go around with a husky, so I'm still learning too, lol. I'll make sure to keep his time down. Which shouldn't be hard to do, with the sunset not starting til almost 8pm now, even in the evening the hot Alabama sun beats down on you, so its easy enough to make sure your butt is back inside in the AC after only a short while :D

Good advice Ian :)

If you over exercise them at a young age.

(and they will be happy to let you do that too!!)

it can cause bone, Hip and joint problems that don't become

apparent until they are older.

That's also why you shouldn't work or run them until they are at

least a year old.

:ditto:

Very good advice, and I greatly appreciate any and all advice thrown my way. This is my first go around with a husky, so I'm still learning too, lol. :D

This rule applies to all dogs not just huskies.

However because they are a "Working" dog, that Loves to pull sleds / rigs and bikes

we owners can get carried away with the idea of them doing just that, and get them

hauling too early.

Don't worry the first year will FLY by and you'll be able to Run / bike / and sled him to your hearts content. :)

Good point, but all the other dogs I've had before (family dogs, he's my first thats actually just my own) have been content to laze about, lol. Even the Great Pyrenees we used to have weren't as energetic as some. Stryder is my first that actually WANTS to walk/run, lol. I just wanna keep him in good health.

Maybe ya'll can answer a question for me?. I know it differs from dog to dog, but about how much should a puppy his age weigh? he's just over 30lbs (which according to http://www.convertunits.com is somewhere around 13.7kg ;) ) he eats around 2 to 2 1/2 cups of TOTW Sierra Mountain formula kibble a day. Is that about right for 4 months?