ARGH the nightmare of walking two! O_O

mydiamond

Anna is a neighborhood golden retriever. She is one of Diamond's favorite friend, and today I met her in the middle of my afternoon walk. Her dog-walker seem to be caught in an interesting conversation with some neighbors, and that made Anna has to wait for her walker to stop talking and start walking again =.=a I know the conversation will be ENDLESS (bcoz I'm a girl and I know how long a 'girltalk' can take) so I offered myself to take Anna for a walk around the block x)

Alright, I'll stop right here for a while.... Who wanna shoot me or punch me in the face now? LOL I'm a skinny girl with zero experience of walking two and suddenly I'm walking two big dogs at a time x) I KNEW it's going to be troublesome, but I never knew it's going to be THAT difficult O_O It sure is hard to prevent dropping one of the leads while keeping those two behind or beside me >.< And just to worsen the situations, Dime pulls REALLY hard for the first two minutes! Aarrgghh I can't feel my hand he pulls so hard idk why :( but then he calms down, and once he calmed down Anna took his place! :confused: Anna started to pull, and since she's not used to being corrected for pulling on lead it takes more time to make Anna controllable =\ OMG I'm so glad I didn't broke my arm O_O

Anyway it was just a brief walk. Few minutes after Anna calmed down and both dogs are heeling perfectly, the dog-walker said "thanks" and take Anna back. Even if the walk is only 5-10 minutes, but I must say one thing--> HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU GUYS WALK TWO HUSKIES AT ONE TIME????!!! :confused:

Can't imagine two dogs pulling at one time!! >.<

LOL cookies for everyone that reads it 'til the end, just wanna share my hellish experience (will do it again if I see the walker prefers chatting than walking tho) with you all hehee

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glala and Dana both know their place very well. Glala is always on the left and Dana always on the right. They don't pull, only when something's different (like someone is walking with me). Actually, my common problem is that they sniff a lot! When one stops to sniff, the other wants to continue and stretched my arm out. When the first one is finally done sniffing and continues, the other one has started sniffing again! :eek:

My tip would be: have both on their own side and keep it that way. If one walks over to the other side, shorten the leash so she can only walk right next to you. Sometimes Glala and Dana wander around as well, and when it's not desired only saying "Glala, left" or "Dana, right" is usually enough now.

I know that joy all too well. Both boys will pull like crazy at first until we get out of the gate, then they calm down some. I was in the process of training Vladimir for leash walking when Stalker came to us. Stalker is usually good, as his previous owner worked with him some but Vladimir has his moments. About halfway through the walk, we are good. The biggest problem is when we encounter another dog. Sometimes there are strays running about (I have rescued many in my area) and that can sometimes cause the boys to get a little crazy. It can be difficult, but when they are good, it is wonderful.

I walk 3 at a time lol and I'm small and skinny. I use a training lead round my waist as then I can put the lead through it and not drop them as when one pulls I can correct them lol

you're cheating LOL there's no such thing in my country >.<

Glala and Dana both know their place very well. Glala is always on the left and Dana always on the right. They don't pull, only when something's different (like someone is walking with me). Actually, my common problem is that they sniff a lot! When one stops to sniff, the other wants to continue and stretched my arm out. When the first one is finally done sniffing and continues, the other one has started sniffing again! :eek:

My tip would be: have both on their own side and keep it that way. If one walks over to the other side, shorten the leash so she can only walk right next to you. Sometimes Glala and Dana wander around as well, and when it's not desired only saying "Glala, left" or "Dana, right" is usually enough now.

yeah I finally figured-out that trick in the near-end of our walk =) So glad to know that Dime and Anna are even better friends now :D

awww hope your feeling bit better lol i've done it for bout 5mins before and then gave there dog back lol too hardddd

i used to walk my 3 on my own - i either had the dog that pulled in 1 hand n the 1 who pulled with 1 who doesnt in the other - i have vids if u want me to upload - now i have a walking belt which helps

or i used to attach to dogs to one lead when skyla was a puppy

vidddsss gees why do we have to ask nix?

I used to walk two at a time two males though Shadow isnt fully grown yet... How i managed it i really dont know i used to find it a bit easier than one due to being more balanced out but when they wanted something it was hard work to hold them back! But i am only tiny myself i struggle now with just one rather than two :| thats why i said i dont know how i did it mabe because i had to lol

Would love him to walk to heel like Tai but don't hold out much hope!

Whatever method you decide for training will take time.

Unless you are really lucky and have a sibe that WANTS to walk beside you.

Otherwise it is training and training and lots of time and patience. :)

there is no quick fix. :(