So i managed to test michas speed

davidjk

i have always wondered how fast micha is, i know she is fast as she can just outrun me on a mountain bike. so today i rode with her with my sat nav and my iphone,

both agreed on speed, although the iphone takes longer to update

average sustainable speed is 15 mph, but burst speed is around 21mph

i say around 21mph because i can only reach 20mph on my mountain bike and she was faster.

that explains how she can run down deer.

PS who got soaked today in the rain.. I did

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

creates one hell of an image man on pushbike with sat nav in one hand, iphone in the other and a husky attached too! :dog3: (closest pic - couldn't find a bike!)

:doglaugh:not qiute. micha was running free, i had the iphone and satnav in a holdall on my handlebars. i was cycling as fast as i could. i need to get more gears for more speed

we did 4 miles ave speed 15pm and and there is a section of path that she just runs hell for leather if i am riding probably about 200 meters she just goes mad then we have to stop because there is a slipway into the canal and she jumps in for a swim.

Burst speed for ~200m for me is about 35km/h... tested with owner on bike as you did. So that converts to 22 mph. At winter time my owner has sometimes troubles to keep up with me... :D We tend to do 5-15km runs every day all year round... or I do, owner just tags along with bike... lazy I say!

I have a friend who lives about two miles down the road and when I go to visit him I always <?> come straight home. There have been times, when we've visited when Misty just doesn't want to "load up" (and I've used the "driving away" technique to get her to come to me since she loves to travel) so I let her run home. I keep my jeep speed just high enough that she stays behind me (and I can keep an eye on her) and I find that she'll travel that distance at a good solid 25 (off the analog speedometer so it's admittedly just a guess???)

Before I get jumped for inhumane behaviour, she does seem to enjoy it and remember where I live there is *no* traffic.

I have an electronic "speedo" on my mountain bike.

Darwin was attached with a Walkydog.

we hit a slight downhill gradient, and he kicked into high gear

top speed 25mph !!! :jawdrop:

average 13mph

My boy loves to run :)

so maybe there is something to the zero bloodline

certainly explains how she can catch the smaller variety of deer, they run at 20mph

i dont see how the zero comes into it on this instance. .. mine 2 younger ones have no zero line and regularly reach 21/22mph whilst pulling me on the rig.

i dont see how the zero comes into it on this instance. .. mine 2 younger ones have no zero line and regularly reach 21/22mph whilst pulling me on the rig.

:( and there i was thinking she was fast. i only tested her speed as we met someone who races huskies and he asked if we raced her as she runs fast and very well

the other huskies we meet while out must just be in poor shape.

Short distance burst of speed he is probably faster than that! Good job keeping him in shape by exercising him running!:up: Do you ever worry about him not comming to you when he is offlead?

no, micha always keeps us in sight, and always comes back for treats when she is called. a lot of it is attitiude, when i go out walking or riding i have the attitude that i am doing this for me and the dogs are tagging along rather than worrying about where they are.

they seem to know that my wife and i are the boss and behave. they misbehave for my son who is 20.

if she hasnt been worked then she will be slower because she doesnt hae the muscle strength and stamina of working dogs. but dont worry, she will get there after some mushing :P

we spent so much time on teaching them not to pull on lead that they just freeze when they are put in a harness.

would need to retrain them to pull like mad

no, micha always keeps us in sight, and always comes back for treats when she is called. a lot of it is attitiude, when i go out walking or riding i have the attitude that i am doing this for me and the dogs are tagging along rather than worrying about where they are.

they seem to know that my wife and i are the boss and behave. they misbehave for my son who is 20.

So they then worry about not losing you rather than the other way around, right?