So i managed to test michas speed

davidjk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they then worry about not losing you rather than the other way around, right?

Yes, but i dont think they have separation problems as we can leave them in the house all alone and they are fine, no destruction no barking or howling, but they do examine any bags you bring back in case there are treats for them.

i dont usually call them unless i need them back on the lead, if they stop to sniff something i will stop also

:( and there i was thinking she was fast. i only tested her speed as we met someone who races huskies and he asked if we raced her as she runs fast and very well

the other huskies we meet while out must just be in poor shape.

woooow no dont get me wrong your getting a good speed.. be pleased with that ..i would be .. i was just pointing out that the speed had nothing to do with the Zero line.. just IMO some people are to quick to say wow that dogs fast must be a Zero when in truth the Zero line is prob so far back now that it makes no difference..

just a little i suppose sick of all the talk of Zero and people saying oh they are so quick.. when there is other dogs from other lines out there that are just as quick if not quicker.. IMO Zero line seems to be coming a bit of a myth story. just co's the dog is fast doesn't mean its Zero.. it just means the dog is quick..and loves to do it.

be happy with what speed you got.. don't let anyone take away your enjoyment..

• 3 weeks later...

when i first started after a few weeks we were hitting speeds of 15 to 20 mph i have a computer on my bike i can get it upto 29 mph realy looking forward to getting started again when this weather cools as only had a couple of months with him as the weather just tuck it out of him carnt wait to get a second dog so hopefully will be able to get a bit faster and do a bit more distance even kept some holidays for the winter so i can have a couple of long weekends up in the lakes and get out on the hills and paths

when i first started after a few weeks we were hitting speeds of 15 to 20 mph i have a computer on my bike i can get it upto 29 mph realy looking forward to getting started again when this weather cools as only had a couple of months with him as the weather just tuck it out of him carnt wait to get a second dog so hopefully will be able to get a bit faster and do a bit more distance even kept some holidays for the winter so i can have a couple of long weekends up in the lakes and get out on the hills and paths

adding another dog will not make them faster .. you can only run a team as fast as your slowest dog can handle..

and its all well and good hitting speed but you gotta learn the terrain.. most mushers will tell you they tend to hold the brakes on downhills to slow the team for safety of the dogs.. its not good for any dog to run flat out down hill ..to easy to loose their footing and get injured..

any top speeds i have got have always been initial speed or on a flat and pulling me on a rig.... i will hold mine back a bit on downhills..

any way top speed is irrelevant if dog can only do it down hill and for short time.... its the Average speed over total distance that matters..

try strapping yourself to a scooter with 3 pulling you along... wow thats an adrenalin rush and a half.. my 3 when running fitness will run 22/23mph with a 6 mile course averaging about 18-20 mins in mixed terrain. even faster bursts of speed when seeing squirrels lol

its amazing how they find that extra bursts when seeing squirels or rabbits.. maybe i got dangle one in front of them :lolman:

and adding another dog will not make them faster .. you can only run a team as fast as your slowest dog can handle..

and its all well and good hitting speed but you gotta learn the terrain.. most mushers will tell you they tend to hold the brakes on downhills to slow the team for safety of the dogs.. its not good for any dog to run flat out down hill ..to easy to loose their footing and get injured..

any top speeds i have got have always been initial speed or on a flat and pulling me on a rig.... i will hold mine back a bit on downhills..

any way top speed is irrelevant if dog can only do it down hill and for short time.... its the Average speed over total distance that matters..

lol 29 mph was just me on my own me and snowy were hitting 15 and burts up to 20 and he wasnt that fit i have done alot of long walks with over the last few months planning in starting back on the bike september ish time if the weather gets cooler by then cheers for the advice though done alot of mountaing bikeing over the years and had a good few spills so nothing flat out down hill anymore especially with dogs running ahead of me