offlead puppies ?

Marley & Lumikkis Mummy

If you let your huskies offlead when they were puppys, what age did you start keeping them onlead ?? I know that offlead/onlead is a huge debate and I dont want arguments. I know some people let their dogs offlead when they are puppies. I dont let my boys offlead at home but feel a bit safer on Formby beach as its the beach then sand dunes. They both have fantastic recall at the moment but im under no illusion this is going to last so at the moment im just enjoying it whilst they are still puppies.

So if you did let them off as pups, what age did you start not letting them?

blaze has ALWAYS been onlead - with skyla if she has her 100ft lead on - i dont hold it - its just there if i need it - she comes back when called n does as shes told - the lead is there just for my peice of mind really - shes 19 months now - she was walked on a flexi as a puppy so i think thats had some kind of impact on her training - she knows she has the freedom n has done since she was little so doesnt need to run off - not sure if thats true or not and i dont let her offlead or let her drag her lead often - just cuz i dont use the 100ft leads NEARLY enuf but i think it depends on the dogs

Shadow was on lead untill 7-8 months then she began to be able to A, run a lot faster than us and B, not want to come back :D Aslan as always been on lead with us but the previous owners used to leave him off down the beach untill we had him at 9 months. He is a runner lol. Bayan as far as we know has always been offlead. He is now coming up to 18 months and is the only one we will ever trust off lead (for now anyway :D )

Polee had inconsistent recall when she was a puppy as she was very easily distracted by almost everything. However from about 3 years of age she has much better recall and has been off the lead at the beach etc and now doesn't run off even if there are distractions close by. Note like most of us I don't encourage others to let their dogs off the lead as it's a personal choice.

Baikal is 12 weeks and I do with her exactly what I do with my GWP Cava-I take both of my dogs for long walks onlead, once we approach large field nearby-I let them both offlead. Cava is whistle trained and keeps coming every now and then for a treat-Baikal started doing the same. If nothing extraordinary happened, I am going to keep on this training. When walking-I try to teach her "heel walking" but for the time being it is sort of circus:D

Storm was off lead until about 2 years old. Mya never got to that as she legged it one day and was missing for 2 1/2 hours when she was about six months old. I only let them off lead now if the area is totally enclosed.

I've never had Suka as a puppy, so I can't comment, but Suka's recall is HORRIBLE. He will not come back if I call him - he comes back when he wants to come back. (Typically husky attitude! :P)

That's why he's only allowed off-lead at the fenced in dog park. Even then he doesn't come when called, but when he wants to go home he'll usually hang around me instead of going off on his own.

aneira only gets put on a lead occasionally like when we go to the pet store or on walks around other dogs. her recall is about as good as a yo-yo with a broken string but she knows her boundaries and stays in the yard which has no fence

Daughtry has been onlead since a puppy except in a controlled area.

Darwin has been onlead since we got him. His previous owners used to let him off.

His recall is terrible so he is only let off under controlled conditions.

Echo has awesome recall. but then she's a GSD :)

Bella was pretty good but now doesn't even come when we call her in the backyard lol so no way ever letting her offlead...

She has been off once on a very large property out country it was a couple 100 acres so if she had run I would have lost her but she was with another dog and when that dog came back so did she -fingers crossed- never have to worry

Kimba was let off when he could recall consistently and was let off lead until around 9 months - was that the right thing to do - IMO NO

Kaiser is a few months younger than Kimba and followed (and still does) Kimba constantly - one day whoosh they both ended up in the middle of a main road :( luckily they were caught quickly but my god that scared the wits out of me

Now they're on a 100ft lead :up:

I digress - your original Q - what age did i start keeping them on lead - 9 months ......................why - because of the above incident.

Would just like to point out they were only off lead in one particular field away from roads and livestock

Kimba was let off when he could recall consistently and was let off lead until around 9 months - was that the right thing to do - IMO NO

Kaiser is a few months younger than Kimba and followed (and still does) Kimba constantly - one day whoosh they both ended up in the middle of a main road :( luckily they were caught quickly but my god that scared the wits out of me

Now they're on a 100ft lead :up:

I digress - your original Q - what age did i start keeping them on lead - 9 months ......................why - because of the above incident.

Would just like to point out they were only off lead in one particular field away from roads and livestock

Well as you know we have the 100ft leads that Tony made and I never let them offlead when we are home but for some reason just on that one spot on the beach I feel safe to let them off. Bear was never on lead before we got him but I didnt want to risk it. When we get home they wont go offlead anywhere.