Puppy age

Michelle Melsom

At what age was your puppy when you got it? Is it the norm in your area? Puppies should be 8 or 9 weeks old when they come home but im finding people around here are getting them at 6 weeks...my cousin was selling her puppies(chiapso's) to people at 6 weeks:confused:

I got Marius when he was 9 weeks

8 weeks for meduim to large breeds smaller dogs like chichuahuas ect... from 12 weeks as there bones are very brittle from an early age. 6 weeks just sounds like the breeders want rid and cant be bothered any more (naughty buggers) we had echo from 4 and a half weeks but only because mother had turned on the pups due to becoming ill and actually killed one of echos sisters. it much harder to teach them from this age ect rough play which normally mum would control and basic manners although wouldnt have changed this for the world as she is very close to me because of this but on the down side is very possesive of me.

Yes, it should be 8-9 weeks. Right around 6 weeks is when they really start learning how to be dogs, and that if they play too roughly (bite too hard), their littermates won't want to play with them - this teaches them bite inhibition. They also learn dog language and manners, both from their mom and from their littermates. All in all, 2-3 very helpful weeks, and good reasons for a breeder to leave puppies with their mother!

Incidentally, this is prime time for the breeder to reinforce these lessons, particularly bite inhibition, with the puppies, so that they learn that they need to play nicely with humans, too!

it was the biting that took so long with echo we had to literially lay on the floor with her nipping her and playing with her like litter buds would it took a good 2 weeks to do and constantly pulling husky fluff from our mouths lol plus having to scream and whimper when it got to rough. sounds funny to everybody else but at that age they are VERY hard work.

Should never be less than 8weeks. I feel really strongly about this topic because I know of alot of people selling their pups off at 6 wks and pups end up struggling, mainly socially (not all of them but the majority) It really doesn't matter that they may be fully weaned , it is during this time that they are learning important life skills and doggy manners from the mum and in my opinion its somewhat cruel to take them away from her so early. I don't get why some people are in such a hurry to get rid of them anyway, let mum be mum and do what instinct tells her to in order for her puppies to have the bestest start in life...I'd never let my pups go before 8weeks.

i hate to say it but Aneira was just over 5 weeks but all in all she socializes well but i brought her home to my beagle mix who took her in as if she were her mother. i must admit that i bought her without really paying attention to her age i didnt look at the paperwork close enough or got my math wrong one because i thought she was older until i got her to the vet later that day.