has anyone ever seen a TRUE miniature sibe

ivey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of some show breeders who have a strong preference for Siberians at the smaller (and just under) end of what the Standard allows - they have no interest in using their dogs to pull as sled or anything else, and feel that it's a waste to try to produce a dog capable of performing as they were originally bred. Their main interest is in producing a cute and pretty dog that they can win with in the show ring, and won't take up much space! (Can you tell I'm neither impressed nor happy about it?)

Otherwise, no, I have never seen a 'miniature Siberian'. There is no such breed recognized by the AKC - and I doubt any other national/international kennel club recognizes them, either.

dont say my baby has poor genes.... she is full blood with papers. there are mini sibes now they are a genetic mutation but nothing wrong with them. its just like many of the other minis and toy versions of other breeds.... i was just wondering if anyone had seen one

dont say my baby has poor genes.... she is full blood with papers. there are mini sibes now they are a genetic mutation but nothing wrong with them. its just like many of the other minis and toy versions of other breeds.... i was just wondering if anyone had seen one

I didn't mean to imply that she had poor genes - although EVERY dog has some poor genes - and some good ones (just like people)! My problem is with breeders who breed dogs that are for a specific look that doesn't match the purpose for which they were originally bred - who I don't feel are doing their job correctly.

If the miniature Siberians are a genetic mutation, chances are that they are dwarfed, which is NOT a good mutation, and carries health risks due to the other mutations that come with the reduction in size. Otherwise, they would be a result of small Siberians being bred to other small Siberians over generations, and the smallest of those being kept to breed - and likely from a too-small gene pool!

When you breed for one characteristic at the expense of all others (size, coat, coat or eye color), the health of the dog is usually the last consideration - especially when the LOOK of the dog is all important.

i took no offense i was joking, but the vet does not think she is dwarfed but just geneticly small though her parents were full size. her mom was a little small but still in the normal range and her sire was decently large

i took no offense i was joking, but the vet does not think she is dwarfed but just geneticly small though her parents were full size. her mom was a little small but still in the normal range and her sire was decently large

Do you have her pedigree? Look at it, and see if there is a dog that is mentioned in it multiple times - not uncommon in the way dogs are generally bred. If so, I would guess that that dog might also have been smaller. They frequently resemble a grandparent - or even a great-grand - more than they do either parent, because of recessive genes from an ancestor that aren't expressed in either parent. All three of my Shad's kids that I have resemble their grandmother (his mom) far more than they do him!

i will definitely have to look at her pedigree but i still think it is rather intriguing that she is only half the size of a normal sibe. and no she was not sold to me as a mini

She's a bit more than half-sized, based on height. I've known of many females who were only around 18 inches or so (most of mine tend toward the upper end of the spectrum, around 21 or 22 inches). As for the article, I'm not inclined to take it seriously as an information source - when I see an article that has a number of small errors in spelling, grammar or punctuation, it seems very unprofessional to me! When I see something that I perceive as unprofessional trying to pass as informational, I tend to suspect it as being more of a tool to sell a product - in this case, 'miniature Siberian' puppies! Yes, I'm rather cynical!

She's a bit more than half-sized, based on height. I've known of many females who were only around 18 inches or so (most of mine tend toward the upper end of the spectrum, around 21 or 22 inches). As for the article, I'm not inclined to take it seriously as an information source - when I see an article that has a number of small errors in spelling, grammar or punctuation, it seems very unprofessional to me! When I see something that I perceive as unprofessional trying to pass as informational, I tend to suspect it as being more of a tool to sell a product - in this case, 'miniature Siberian' puppies! Yes, I'm rather cynical!

i understand but there are multiple places i have found this information this is one that i just happened across while looking at a link someone else had posted on a different thread

i understand but there are multiple places i have found this information this is one that i just happened across while looking at a link someone else had posted on a different thread

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no ethical breeder would specifically try to produce a miniature Siberian.

Just FYI papers (AKC or other registrations) doesn't mean you have a well bred dog it just means you have a purebred dog. Many of the dogs who come from breeders who say "Teacup Yorkies" are backyard breeders and only looking for money. They don't health test or do anything to make sure the dogs that they bring into this world are healthy. I am not saying your dog came from a BYB but that anyone who claims to breed Mini Huskies is 9 times our of 10 a backyard breeder.

Ever heard of a Mini Rottie? Yeah they exist..... http://carlins.info/

never even heard of mini huskies before - is akc american kennel club? whats ckc ??

AKC is the American Kennel Club, and I think CKC is the Continental Kennel Club. I'm not quite up to date on the CKC, not sure what they do.

I've never heard of mini-Sibes either. I know in horses, miniatures have some pretty significant health issues arising from genetics. And then there are those idiots who think a miniature horse can be treated like a Great Dane. :angry: Um, no, it's a horse, eats hay, needs a pasture and hooves trimmed just like any other horse.

never heard of them, but you can't really say she's a miniture husky just because she's small.... she is aparently a normal AKC husky who happens to be small.

its like saying that huskys a 'giant' husky because its big. they come in all different sizes and shapes and it just so happens my fully grown sibe Aura is only about 18 inches at the shoulder plus your pup has a lot more growing to do yet!