Jogging with husky pup

Matthew

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Matthew - I've just finished a wicked play fight with Harley - and I lost this time lol! He had me well pinned...yet I'm not in the slightest worried about dominance. I've picked up that you are worried about dominance during play - but I wouldn't be worried if you do it right.

I'm not worried about dominance because I initiate the play, I give him the 'look' that comes with it the projected energy of play, do a play bow and slap which means 'everything that follows is just play', get a head dip back 'ok!' and then we GO FOR IT! When we play fight, there are rules...and I have set them.

He's allowed to jump and climb all over me, get on my back or on top generally, he's allowed to use his head, his legs, his mouth, everything. He's allowed to be as rough as he likes. Yet he is never allowed to close his mouth (TOTAL bite inhibition), nor to have my hand in his mouth and twist his head (his teeth may get caught on my bones etc), he's only allowed to have my arms/hands in his mouth, he's always to turn an open mouth away from my face, and he's to listen to my commands at all times. And I check he does the latter too!

I use my mouth to play bite the underside of his neck, I use my hands to stimulate play bites, I rub my face in his, I'm as rough with him as he is with me - anyone watching will think we are really going for it! Today I ended up on my back, him standing on my chest panting...and then I called time.

I yawn, lick my lips, turn my head (calming signals), take a deep breath and let it go and relax, (giving him my calming energy) move him off, he'll always go to move back and gets an ah-ha!, I then make him sit, lie down, give him a rub, then he can go and get his water...Sometimes I will just go instantly calm, relax, projecting calmness, just to stop him straight away which he does. I also practice starting and stopping...and read his body language too in order to maintain doggy etiquette for play fighting.

I look to play with him the closest a human can play with a dog on his terms.

It is helped that I'm a professional fighter, and can sense the tension and relaxation in his body, and move safely in order to not stress his bones and joints. I've also built the play up gradually to ensure control. And it is soooo much fun....he loves it...and so do I! Although I do end up covered in hair after a good 10-20minute blast...

I wouldn't be worried about dominance during play - dogs aren't! Harley ended up on his back with a 6 month Jack Russell pup on his chest and play biting his neck the other week, Harley flat out in submission position...play is practice, it isn't real. That's why I clearly define what is play, and what is not.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,

Smiler

thanks, lots of good tips and things to try. I play wrestled with her last night I left with pretty nasty scratches lol.

its both carpet and cement/bricks, she will go down if I put the trick on the floor just never on command.

ah ok - give her time - shes only a pup she will soon learn - skyla wont do a trick unless she gets a treat out of it otherwise she just looks at me like im an idiot in thinking ive got any chance to get her to do it lol

Lol! Just read the first part of my post – when I say ‘do a play bow and slap’ I don’t mean slap the dog…I mean slap the ground the same way that dogs do sometimes on the play bow. I bow…then add a slap to the ground with both hands afterwards to make the play invitation clear, and the moment I get the play bow back or the head nod then we go for it…

Oh, and check the dew claws don’t need clipping – I found that they’re the sharp buggers that scratch…

Best regards,

Smiler