LA County To Seize and Possibly Destroy Dogs For Chasing People

elenamarie

I really hated California when I lived there in the 1980s, and I see it's only getting worse. Too bad, parts of CA are simply gorgeous.

What Makes Spot ‘Vicious’? LA County To Seize Dogs For Chasing People

LOS ANGELES (CBS)  The Board of Supervisors on Tuesday agreed to approve an ordinance giving animal control officers the right to declare a dog “vicious,†a designation that can potentially lead to the animal being euthanized.

The new measure changes the definition of what actually makes a dog dangerous, and does not require a severe injury to a person who is attacked by a dog.

KNX 1070′s John Brooks reports animal control officers will now have the power to seize an animal simply for chasing someone.

“There doesn’t necessarily have to be a bite,†said director of animal control Marcia Mayeda. “But if a dog’s charging at you down the street and you jump on top of a car to get out of the way, that’s a potentially dangerous dog.â€Â

Under current law, owners of dogs deemed to be potentially dangerous can be forced to either muzzle the dogs and place them on a short leash or otherwise confine them  in addition to requiring the dog to undergo training classes.

But if a dog is determined to be a “significant threat to the public health, safety and welfare,†animal control personnel can destroy the dog under the new ordinance.

The board’s 4-0 support of the draft ordinance included noted animal lover Supervisor Michael Antonovich’s yes vote.

The law also sets up a more cost-effective administrative hearing process, one that won’t call on the Superior Court to resolve disputes over whether the picked-up dog was in fact dangerous.

looks like a good law to me. since you haven't been living in California in the 80's let me fill you in on a little secret -- there are a ton of really irresponsible dog owners here now and incidents between aggressive dogs and people have been skyrocketing. we all know what an aggressive dog is...why do we have to wait until it seriously hurts or kills someone before it can be labelled as such?

looks like a good law to me. since you haven't been living in California in the 80's let me fill you in on a little secret -- there are a ton of really irresponsible dog owners here now and incidents between aggressive dogs and people have been skyrocketing. we all know what an aggressive dog is...why do we have to wait until it seriously hurts or kills someone before it can be labelled as such?

If it's truly an aggressive dog that's one thing. I have no issue with euthanizing truly dangerous animals. My Sarah, who wouldn't hurt a fly, loves to chase any and everything when she's off lead in the ball park during our playtimes. According to this law she could be shot or taken and euthanized just because she was chasing in play, even chasing ME. Lots of people think she's dangerous because of her looks and we all know how absurd that is.

I'd love to think that such authority would be coupled with good ol' common sense but many years of experience have taught me that authority and common sense rarely arrive in the same package. Given that sad state of affairs it won't be long before someone's pet who bolted out of the house and is happily play-chasing a bicyclist is euthanized, and that will be sad indeed.

And note that an owner whose dog is NOT aggressive has no legal recourse in court. Now, an "administrative hearing" will decide whether the dog lives or dies. Given the history of "administrative hearings" in multiple contexts, anyone whose dog ends up in sight of animal control is at risk.

and it happened yet again. stupid laws passed by LAZY politicians. they are trying to cut down on the money involved in the process of putting down dogs by speeding up the process, which comes at the cost of unfair processes and overgeneralized treatment towards dogs.

give me a day, a 12 pack of beer, and a good pizza and I can come up with a better law during my drunken stupor.