Dexter has Fleas?

Tripled

Hi All,

We think Dexter has got fleas, saw an ant sized thing crawling on him this morning, but he'd just been outside so thought nothing of it.

Other half went home at lunch and said he's got more vistors, and when she got one off and chucked it into the sink, it was jumping around, so I'm guess it's fleas?!

He has stronghold every month on the 25th, but I guess he needs some extra help to get rid of them.

Was thinking of applying the stronghold early, getting a flea collar, and seeing what P@H have got. Also I guess I'm going to have to clean the carpets downstairs to kill them, any recommendations on sprays or stuff I could use?

We have a heated carpet cleaner, so was going to just use that??

Have you recently bought any carpets or rugs / dried flowers etc they tend to come with. . . visitors.

they would find dexters coat a lovely new place to live.

Thanks for the responses. No recent purchases or flowers, carpets of rugs, I guess he's just picked them up running through some long grass or something?

Spoke to the vet 10 mins ago, and they said just stronghold him at the normal time, the chemicals in stronghold will kill off the fleas, and should help kill any where he lays, but if you want to you can get a can of carpet spray to help. They also suggested washing his bed etc, so they are on a high wash at the moment.

I am wary about putting loads of chemicals on Dexter as you say, so maybe see what happens, and the shampoo option sounds good.

You can get some little smoke bombs especially to kill fleas that you set off in the house and the smoke spreads and kills any fleas/eggs on the floors/carpets etc. You leave them for a set time then open the windows/back door the air the house. Worked well for me once.

Hi All,

We think Dexter has got fleas, saw an ant sized thing crawling on him this morning, but he'd just been outside so thought nothing of it.

Other half went home at lunch and said he's got more vistors, and when she got one off and chucked it into the sink, it was jumping around, so I'm guess it's fleas?!

He has stronghold every month on the 25th, but I guess he needs some extra help to get rid of them.

Was thinking of applying the stronghold early, getting a flea collar, and seeing what P@H have got. Also I guess I'm going to have to clean the carpets downstairs to kill them, any recommendations on sprays or stuff I could use?

We have a heated carpet cleaner, so was going to just use that??

The absolute BEST way to kill fleas in carpeting is powdered boric acid. It's the only thing that worked for us. The boric acid not only kills existing fleas, it helps stop infestations for up to a year.

Good luck, those awful creatures are just nasty.

Thanks Darren.

We got a can of spray in the end, as the smoke bomb options apparently take 4 hours, whereas the can takes about 30 mins.

The fleas weren't bad, just a few on his head from our investigations, but obviously we can't see eggs etc, so have use the can of spray to be sure.

He seems fine now, I guess we got it early, and the stronghold pretty much sorted it out.

Thanks Tania, On closer inspection they are smaller than ants so I guess they are fleas. We've checked him all over, and they seem to have gone I hope.

I'll check his arm-pits and bum again when I get home tonight, althought we only found them on the back of his head, they still travel I guess. Thanks for the tip :)

I dont think you can go far wrong with the Indorex spray it works not only on dog fleas but cat fleas also if like me you have 3 cats and 2 Huskies lol.

I think ive been lucky i use Frontline Spot On on the dogs and the cats and there all done once a month and i spray the house every other month and touch wood ive not had any problems yet.