Introducing Pandora!

Jessica Holt

Hello everyone, my fiance and I just picked up our first Siberian husky pup last Wednesday. Shes all white, blue eyes 9 weeks today! We chose to call her Pandora, Dora for short. Dora really fits because she is the super explorer, ha ha ;). We got her from Don and Judy in Emporia Kansas. Was a long 4.5 hr drive there from the Omaha area to get her but way worth it! Since about 4 weeks old they had her on a B.A.R.F (Bones and Raw Food) diet and we are currently trying to get her to a good premium kibble but having a little trouble. Her tummy is not really agreeing with the change so we're having to try the B.A.R.F diet and wean her off it slowly. The vet is not happy about the raw diet they had her on and told us to at least cook the meat and also gave us some pro biotic treats to give her. If anyone else has any suggestions we are grateful for the help.

Haven't got too many standing pics of her yet, she moves around too much and the camera blurs. I've only caught decent pics while shes out like a light.

270214_10150268352148528_614743527_7667921_3621480_n.jpg

284229_10150268354198528_614743527_7667938_7198706_n.jpg

270518_10150268352108528_614743527_7667919_3376902_n.jpg281535_10150266413433528_614743527_7649844_8290887_n.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awe, now that's a real cute bundle of fur!!! See she's already got the "sleepin' on her back" routine down pat.

I like how you have a white carpet, that'll make it so much easier when she starts to shed and shed and shed ......

Welcome to the pack, you're among the best Husky crowd I've ever found!!

Welcome and what a cute pup you have. The food and diet section on this forum I personally have found has some really useful information and there are loads of really knowledgeable husky owners on this forum. I am sure between them they will be able to give you the help and advice you need. Looking forward to seeing pictures of Dora as she grows.

welcome to the pack - shes gorgeous - the meat is actually better for them raw as it looses its nutrients when its cooked and they can also have bones if they are raw which keeps their teeth is good nick too :) - i wouldnt worry about changing it unless u really dont want to feed her raw - most vets ive found however dont like the idea of it even tho its actually healthier for them then kibble

Awe, now that's a real cute bundle of fur!!! See she's already got the "sleepin' on her back" routine down pat.

I like how you have a white carpet, that'll make it so much easier when she starts to shed and shed and shed ......

Welcome to the pack, you're among the best Husky crowd I've ever found!!

We already had to invest in a carpet cleaner.. Potty training not going so well, but yes.. white carpets will help with a white dog shedding :)

Welcome to the BEST husky forum in the WORLD !!! :)

You'll have loads of questions over the coming months.

With nearly 4500 members from over 60 different countries.

We should be able to help :)

Join in the fun. :)

Hi and welcome!:wave: shes beautiful!:) I weaned my litter of pups onto raw and had to switch a couple of them onto kibble before they went to their new homes. Ideally your not meant to feed kibble and raw at same time because it is digested at different rates but to wean her of the raw you'll have to mix it and gradually reduce the amount of raw each day...mixing the kibble in warm water making it softer should help. Don't worry if she refuses meals of kibble, she won't starve herself, put it down and if she doesn't eat it within 10minutes then take it away..she'll soon learn ''that's my food, she's the boss, if i don't eat it she'll take it back and i'll be hungry''.

Most vets don't agree with raw at all (even though it's so much better for them than commercial pet food) cooking it actually takes most of the nutrients and goodness out of it and makes bones brittle and dangerous (choking hazard) so be carefull of the cooked bones especially chicken.:)

Hi and welcome!:wave: shes beautiful!:) I weaned my litter of pups onto raw and had to switch a couple of them onto kibble before they went to their new homes. Ideally your not meant to feed kibble and raw at same time because it is digested at different rates but to wean her of the raw you'll have to mix it and gradually reduce the amount of raw each day...mixing the kibble in warm water making it softer should help. Don't worry if she refuses meals of kibble, she won't starve herself, put it down and if she doesn't eat it within 10minutes then take it away..she'll soon learn ''that's my food, she's the boss, if i don't eat it she'll take it back and i'll be hungry''.

Most vets don't agree with raw at all (even though it's so much better for them than commercial pet food) cooking it actually takes most of the nutrients and goodness out of it and makes bones brittle and dangerous (choking hazard) so be carefull of the cooked bones especially chicken.:)

Yeah when making the raw meal mixes I never used any bone. She has larger bones that the breeder gave us to take home, she gets one of those most every night.

First mixture is raw chicken, chicken livers, spinach, kale, parsley, nectarine, apple, tomato, zucchini and plain yogurt.

Second mixture is raw Beef, chicken gizzards/hearts, kale, parsley, yellow squash, tomato, yogurt.

I basically made up two huge batches and froze them in little muffin tins for easy portion thawing. At first she would just get them completely raw but after the vet visit yesterday I started cooking them up a little, not fully though. Tried mixing it up with kibble and she just eats around it lol. She ends up going back for the kibble later. She eats kibble just fine, she actually grew up on raw in the morning, kibble was always in a huge tin for all of the pups throughout the day and then they got another raw meal at night. When we got her home we just gave her kibble and hence the issues were currently experiencing with her stools, I should have known better. Live and learn right?

:hello: & :welcome:

When shadow was that age we gave him 4 small meals aday 2 kibble & 2 raw only small amounts plus a chicken wing, as he got older we went from feeding to 3 times & now 2 times aday. We feed our 2 on minced chicken, beef, lamb, veg, boiled & raw eggs, fish, bones, carcuss, etc never cooked except eggs

just reminds me of alfie when he was that small, he still digs his water now at 16 weeks and falls asleep in it, never a dull moment with a husky in your life, oh and welcome nice to meet you and little dora xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TY Nice to meet you too. Everyone here seems so nice! Thank you all for your warm welcome :)