Thinking about adopting

Carissa

Hello, I'm a new member...as of today. I've been trying to find a place that can tell me whether adopting a husky is a good idea or not.

I currently am a proud owner of a beautiful sib named Ariel. She's only 3 years old and lately I can't help but feel like she needs a companion. She's extremely friendly towards people, but she shows a bit of aggression towards dogs and other animals. Has anyone adopted another husky into their family and have other pets prior to the adoption? If so, how can I guarantee her new friend will be welcomed and it won't cause her to feel anxiety or jealousy? Any other tips?

Also, does the sex of the new sib matter in this case?

First off, :welcome: to the Pack!

We got Zoya as a pup when she was 9 weeks old. That was back in September of 2008. In late March / early April of this year (2011), we adopted Eisa. So Zoya was about 2-1/2 years old, and Eisa was estimated to be about 3 years old. Both are females, and both have been spayed.

Zoya is rather a tom boy, and we have our son and his dog Koda at home. Koda is about 4-1/2 years old. He's an Aussie/Border Collie and he's been neutered.

Zoya was here first. Then came Koda, and then Eisa.

We introduced Zoya and Eisa away from our home, at the animal shelter. We took both for a walk together, and they seemed to get along fine. When we brought Eisa home, we took Zoya and Eisa and reintroduced them outside, and walked them for a bit. Eisa was a bit timid for a week or so, and was very protective of her space. But eventually, within a few weeks, the pecking order between all three seemed to establish itself. There were a few scraps along the way, but nothing serious.

I don't think the sex matters, but my opinion is that if all dogs are spayed or neutered, it helps even things out. Some feel it's best to have one of each, but many have both dogs the same sex and have no issues. It really depends on the dogs, and it simply may take a bit of time. I think if we did not have Koda, it would have been a bit smoother, but it was not bad. The important thing is to not just bring the new dog into your house, without one or two meetings in a neutral area. And taking them for a walk together is a good way to help them to establish a relationship.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees.

We were very fortunate with Eisa. She has such a sweet personality, and is very gentle. She does, however, stand up for herself, as does Zoya. We've had some sharp barks, and some high pitched woos, but no gnashing of teeth and no biting.

Hello and welcome. Before any resues would let you take home a sibe, they would make sure that yours would get on with the new arrival. My bitch can be funny with others. But with carefull intros, she gets on brilliantly. Its all about settling them in. Have you applied or shown interest to any rescues?

First of all. . . :welcome:

adopting is fantastic way to give a Husky a new home.

It's advisable once you've found a prospective New Husky to arrange to take your current sibe to meet and greet.

If they get on and play nicely then you can look deeper into adapting the boy or girl.

We had Echo our white German shepherd. (a rescue and very aggressive towards strange dogs when on lead)

We got Daughtry as an 8 week old pup and Echo adopted her and became surrogate mum.

They are now inseperable.

6 months later we rescued Darwin, a very friendly male sibe.

We allowed them to meet outside the house, in a safe offlead area

where they could run around and sniff and play.

Then we walked them all back and introduced them all into the house.

While we have had some dominance issues between Echo and Darwin they get on very well

and are a tight pack. :)

Hi there, I'm also a new member who's joined this forum to communicate with other parents of Huskies.

I'm also considering getting another Husky for some company for my 4 year old. He seems to enjoy the company of other dogs more than any other activity on our walks however I'm concerned he may not like sharing my attention with another Husky on a long term basis.

Thoughts?

Personally, if I had one sibe and was adding a companion, I would go for the opposite sex. Teenage boys and teenage girls can often develop jealousy/status issues, whereas a mixed pair tends not to. Most good rescues neuter/spay before rehoming, so there should be no real problems in having a mixed sex pair.

Hi there, I'm also a new member who's joined this forum to communicate with other parents of Huskies.

I'm also considering getting another Husky for some company for my 4 year old. He seems to enjoy the company of other dogs more than any other activity on our walks however I'm concerned he may not like sharing my attention with another Husky on a long term basis.

Thoughts?

Having a companion is great they are pack animals and while they all have different personalities. They love having someone to play and snuggle with.

YES there may be jealousy issues, no different than human siblings. Give them equal time and share the love. :)

Thank you all so so much for your very quick responses. I plan on socializing my Sib with other dogs first before I decide to adopt. I know I can definitely handle double the fun, I just want to do it the right way.

Thanks again. I'll keep you guys posted :)