Any of you use pet gates?

Franklin Phil

I am considering purchasing a pet gate for the top of the stairs leading down to the front door. Mokodo has spotted our neighbors cat across the street and I have no doubt as to where he'd go on the off chance he got out. Being a responsible owner of a husky with an extremely high prey instinct means laying down a plan to be double protected against such an event as him getting out. Has anyone used pet gates for an adult husky? Has it worked? Recommendations?

My parents have one similar to this at the top of their basement stairs (no door, and they had concerns about someone falling down the stairs with nothing there). It seems to work fairly well - I like that it's taller! I have used regular baby gates in the house, and have had good luck, but my dogs have respected them as a barrier, and have known that they weren't supposed to pass them.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12521

We use one to keep Denali and Yukon from coming back the hallway to the bedrooms and office. We use just a standard baby gate that we can step (although it is a tall step) over so that we do not have to take it down all of the time. We have used it since both dogs were puppies. Neither one of them have tried to get over it even though they could both easily jump it. Every now and then if we both go back to the bedroom or office for something during the day, Yukon will sit at the gate and bark, but he has not tried to jump over it at all.

I had to use a child gate when Suka's leg was recovering.

It worked out well at the top of the stairs, but he eventually learned he could jump over it and that was dangerous, so we put it at the bottom of the stairs. Again, he figured out he can just jump over the gate. :P

So you probably need one higher than a child gate; we just got a cheap little thing (40 or so bucks) which we later returned after 30 days (we didn't need it anymore.) because it was only temporary.

I have three baby gates and use them to keep Sarah out of rooms I don't want her in--laundry room, cat's escape bedroom and my bedroom. So far she's respected them but we started using them the day she came home so she's pretty much grown up with them. It's worth a try.

I had to use a child gate when Suka's leg was recovering.

It worked out well at the top of the stairs, but he eventually learned he could jump over it and that was dangerous, so we put it at the bottom of the stairs. Again, he figured out he can just jump over the gate. :P

So you probably need one higher than a child gate; we just got a cheap little thing (40 or so bucks) which we later returned after 30 days (we didn't need it anymore.) because it was only temporary.

Not to hijack the thread but how is Suka's leg doing?

We have one spacial made for Vlad with a a big V in the frame on the bottom of the stairs and is working for Vlad he did not jump over yet .. we hope he will not but every time when i saw him looking for Bella i told him is not aloud there

i use the extra height child gates.. i have one on bedroom door . i between conservatory and front room for when they are all muddy etc. then i have one between front room and hall . and a second one in hall before front door .. so they have two gates to clear before getting near front door.