London trip planning help

calvinandmommy

Ok so Im planning a trip with my mom to England and France (mostly just London and Paris).....well now it is my mom, dad, and husband and I going! :D Anyways on the England part so far it is going to be just London and maybe we will venture outside of London a little bit but not too far. Since practically everybody on this forum lives in England I figured you all would be the best to ask for help. What area of London do you all suggest we stay? I dont want us to spend an arm and a leg for hotel but I dont want to end up in a trashy hotel either. Our trip wont be till late 2012 early 2013 but I like to know about how much Im going to need to save. Any help would be awesome. And any help with France would be nice too lol.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm afraid I don't go to London much, and when we do it's usually just for the day so I don't know any hotels but this website should be able to help;

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SmartDeals-g186338-London_England-Hotel-Deals.html

Reviews are posted by people who have stayed there, it should give you a place to start!

Have a fab time!!:)

When we go to Fance we always go with this company

http://www.welcomecottages.com/sites/welcomecottages/pages/home.aspx?clickcd=29001&utm_source=welcomecottages.co.uk&utm_medium=domains&utm_campaign=domains

I am guessing they would allow you to book from the U.S if you contacted them, they also do U.K accomodation too. They are a very good company and also can be very cheap. Sometimes a week in France can cost us less than £200 and that is including the Eurotunnel or ferry crossing. They will advise you no end :)

Thank you all so far. We are planning on staying probably 6 nights. I know my dad has always wanted to go to Bletchley Park and I have always wanted to go to Althrop Estate. And of course we have to hit up Harrod's. I know my dad will also want to try to see his friend that lives in England near RAF Lakenheath and I think it would be neat to try to meet up with anybody from the forum.

My mom and husband both think I am nuts for already starting to plan but I like to know how much to save. =D

A meet in one of the capitals Big Parks. Dogs are allowed

Logistically a nightmare. but could be done.

A chance for those in the southern corners to meet us half way. :)

So talked to my mom tonight and she said that she wants to go to England for 2 weeks and go to France another time lol. I love how quick our plans our changing lol. We are making a list of places we want to go and looking at areas to stay. And she made it very clear there will be no renting of cars for us while we are there because she does not trust my dads driving lol. Im going to have so much fun planning this trip. :clap: And Im probably going to drive myself crazy too.

I live in North West London. Could I suggest that you don't stay in the centre as hotels can be expensive. The underground and bus system is good and you may find it cheaper to stay out in the suburbs and commute in. When I visit Paris I tend to stay on the outskirts of Paris and commute around by the Metro. There is a lot to do and see in London that is free, it all depends on what you are interested in. Do you plan to stay in one location or do you plan to travel around a bit. Also will you want to drive a car when you are over here. I would suggest that you start with a list of the things you definitely want to do and see. One thing you definitely need to do is buy yourself an Oyster card (around £5). You preload it with money and use it to touch in and out on buses and trains. This will give you a significant saving on your fares. A cheap way to eat in London is to find a Marks & Spencer's. Their sandwiches, salads and food is excellent and great to make a picnic of in one of the London Parks. Some larger stores e.g M&S Marble Arch, top of Oxford Street have really nice cafes. Theatre tickets can be expensive but if you use the TXTs booth in Leicester Square, which is run by the theatres themselves you can pick up late availability tickets otherwise you need to book up for some shows early. www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk is a good place to look to see what is on and upcoming and often has offers. PM me if you want any more assistance and help.