Ewww!

Nicole

okay so today i was out with my usual walk with maya when we stopped at my auntys to let her run around the back garden , well my aunty owns 2 cats who like to give her presents ! well there was one at her back door ,a lil field mice, when i noticed it maya noticed it well.... its was gone ! she eat it ! ... i dono what to say i was so freaked out and grossed out ! is it okay for her to eat this? will she be okay!? is this a normal thing for husky's too do? i am left traumitised :( no kisses for her! lol

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you don't need to take her to the vets. You might want to deworm her again in a couple of weeks, but that would be about the only risk.

@Kissu & Aara - heartworms are only transmitted by mosquito bites, so that isn't a concern from eating a mouse, rabbit, or anything else... Intestinal worms - possibly!

Edit: Rabies isn't much of a concern at all for a mouse or rabbit - if they were bitten by a rabid animal (and they would tend to avoid them - probably wouldn't be nearly as difficult as with a healthy animal) the bite itself would almost certainly kill them. Rabies is primarily transmitted through bites.

No, you don't need to take her to the vets. You might want to deworm her again in a couple of weeks, but that would be about the only risk.

@Kissu & Aara - heartworms are only transmitted by mosquito bites, so that isn't a concern from eating a mouse, rabbit, or anything else... Intestinal worms - possibly!

Good to know! Thank you. :D

okay so today i was out with my usual walk with maya when we stopped at my auntys to let her run around the back garden , well my aunty owns 2 cats who like to give her presents ! well there was one at her back door ,a lil field mice, when i noticed it maya noticed it well.... its was gone ! she eat it ! ... i dono what to say i was so freaked out and grossed out ! is it okay for her to eat this? will she be okay!? is this a normal thing for husky's too do? i am left traumitised :( no kisses for her! lol

:( Aww, no kisses for Maya? Its normal for them to do, even my other non-Husky does that sort of thing!

my cat used to leave me presents 1st frogs then birds :( i hate it its nasty but recently hasnt left me any thankfully

funny store my old cat named princess , noting princess about her , use to give me presents , she was at the front door with a bird i only noticed this after ordering fast food , she was eager to give me it personally sitting playing with it desperate to get in ! fast food guy turns up , doesnt wanna come anywhere near my door , neither do i , had to get him to give me it threw the window! , was rather embarrising! lol

why do animals do such disgusting things! lol

Very much a husky thing...both my boys have had their share, alive and dead. Andy scoops them up out of bushes or on the road, already dead....and Jack catches them live, one bite, and swallows...yes gross, but so much a husky thing to do. They have neither ever had any problems from mice, intestinally....raw meat yes, but not dead mice!!! OY!!!:doglaugh:

Our girls got a mouse while out walking, Freya suddenly jumped in the bush and came out with a mouse she had a couple of chews before she dropped it and quick as a flash indi got it and had a couple of chews. They never swallowed it though :) still gross though

dont know the area, but you might want to keep an eye for signs of poisoning. Some mice eat poison and pets get sick after eating them. That's about the only problem i can think of

not an area known for poisioning , plus i think the cats would be not well by now , but thanks for that!

she didnt swallow it whole she , was chewing n running with it , chasing me ! , i ended up on a table screaming like a baby ! lol bad girl ! lol

Thanks again! I pick up those little information pamplet things but they only talk about syptoms and treatments. Nice to know for someone who rings the vet for the smallest things :oops:

Quite all right - I've had enough years with the dogs (and have worked at vet clinics) to learn a lot of these things, so it's nice to be able to help out. Here's some info for you to read, if you're interested...

http://www.professorshouse.com/Pets/Dogs/Health/Articles/Intestinal-Parasites-in-Dogs/

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/intestinal-parasites-in-dogs.html

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/heartworms-in-dogs-facts-and-myths

http://www.dogheartworm.org/