Chewed Carpet!

Gretzky

Gretzky is 6 months old and for the past 5-6 weeks we've given him more freedom. Whilst we're out he roams the kitchen, hallway and upstairs. We leave his toys everywhere and nothing is ever chewed or out of place. Tonight however, we left him for 3 hours, came home and he had chews or scratched a hole in the hall carpet!

Is this normal? We were just singing his praises and he does this (cheeky monkey). Does this mean he can't be trusted anymore? Anyone else had a similar change in behaviour? Feel like a bit of trust has gone now. Can't be cross at him for long though as he's SO cute..........:)

We used to allow Isis to roam free, until one day I came home from work and was given an ultimatum - either get a crate or pay for all the repairs that she'd cause in the future. Isis had decided to strip the paper in out kitchen and eat through the plaster. She now loves her crate and will often go in there just to chill out - she knows its her space!

We did crate train Gretzky and he was house trained very quickly. We decided to trial him out of the crate for a couple of hours at a time and he was great. He always goes in his crate but we now leave the door open.

He didn't get his usual walk today so may have had excess energy? Not sure I want to start closing his crate door again..... Hopefully it's just a blip.

Is your house a new house or an older one? Sometimes things can soak down underneath the padding and linger there even after the carpets have been cleaned and if its in the middle of the floor it may very well just be something that's attracted him there and he just had the time to take a better 'look' at it.

A word of warning though, Fox cannot leave frayed things alone...well that's wrong...he can, he just chooses not to. We have a much MUCH older house with really old ugly carpet that I can't wait to replace...I recently redid my daughters room, partly because our toddler let Foxie in there (not toddlers room mind you) and he helpfully pulled all the frayed bits of carpet about two feet from the wall...she has tile in there now...

There's also a spot in my livingroom carpet that I have to constantly watch and tell him to leave alone...as the livingroom carpet is next to be replaced it's more of an annoyance than a rawr thing...but we definately crate him before we go out anywhere...