Whoooop!

sutsibe

I've been worried recently because Shad hasn't been able to walk. He evidently has a pinched nerve in his back, because when he tries to walk, his toes on his back feet (especially the right, but the left as well, to a lesser extent) curl under. When he tries walking on the 'knuckles' of his toes, he stumbles, and it's obviously not comfortable, so I've been having to carry him in and out (he's a big boy - 65 lbs!) several times a day, and help him move around to relieve himself! He's losing strength from not using those muscles, and I was starting to be afraid I'd have to let him go because of that - it's no way to live. :cry1:

I had him out last night, and was thinking, trying to come up with some way to keep his toes from curling under. I have some sledding booties, but they're fleece, and are too soft to work. I remembered that my vet has some nylon booties with plastic soles for sale, so I went and got a set for him today. He's not crazy about having them put on, but... HE CAN WALK with them on!!! :yahoo:They seem to work fairly well at keeping the toes as they should be!:wave1:

Here's a picture of him modeling them, and then another from about a week ago of him enjoying some ice cream! Love my Shad! :heartbeat:

post-8835-13586080289977_thumb.jpg

post-8835-13586080288893_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585977896464_thumb.jpg

post-1869-13585977896823_thumb.jpg

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

that's great you've found something that will work for him - hopefully it will allow him to enjoy his life even more so :)

I hope so! He's very good about being carried, but he's heavy enough I'm starting to feel the strain of it - I'm sore! What he really hates is that I have to help him when he needs to poop, so that he doesn't fall - if I can get him walking, hopefully we can get his muscles built up enough that he's more self-sufficient...

aww ello gorgeous boy:heartbeat:

what a good idea gigi,hope he picks up a little for you and they enable him to start getting around with more ease

Thanks, Tania - I hope so, too! It's really humid here tonight, and he doesn't want to do ANYTHING! The weather is supposed to improve a bit after tomorrow, so maybe he'll feel better then... :)

Hugs to Shad....when my Stormy would no longer go off the deck and couldn't take care of her business, she would not let us help her and pretty much stopped eating....it will be one year tomorrow that we said our final goodbyes....hardest decision of all the dogs we've lost over the years. Had my boy Andy within a month and I believe (especially when the porch light comes on by itself) that Stormy still comes by to visit sometimes.....I have even thought that I've seen her on the deck...but then I'm a little looney when it comes to that kind of stuff because I saw her there immediately after we'd gotten home from the vet!!! Hoping Shad improves and sending support for having to make whatever decision you need to make! Looking so forward to meeting in person in Iowa!!!

Oh, Gigi....I hate to hear that Shad is having more troubles. It brings back so many memories of what we went through with our Elke, just 3 years ago. :cry1: I sure hope he can build up his strength again, now that wearing the booties enables him to walk on his own. On a happier note....he sure is enjoying his ice cream! Hugs to both of you from the MAZZ pack....:grouphug: