oh no PLEASE help! HEEELP!

mydiamond

Got stopped by a man on my afternoon walk today. This down below is our conversation

Man: Excuse me miss, what is the price range for that breed?

Me: I don't know. This boy here is a rescue dog

Man: Oh. Do you have to walk him everyday?

Me: Three times A DAY, Sir. If not, he'll get into mischief

Man: Ah, alright... Do you get him as a puppy?

Me: Nope, he's already one year old when I bring him home.

Man: Already a big dog, eh? Did he bite?

Me: Not at all

Man: Did you put him in a cage?

Me: No cage no chain. He's roaming free in the house (tell myself: that's exactly why husky fur is everywhere LOL)

Man: Ah I see. What's the lifespan? Five years?

Me: What? Sir, this is a dog! They can live upto FIFTEEN years!

Man: Fifteen? Not five?

Me: Five is just a baby!!

Man: Oh. So how old is that boy?

Me: He's just two, and...

Man: Alright thanks *rushes back to his house*

After this conversation, I froze in my spot for a second. I really want to grab this man's shirt and scream: "NOOOOOO!!! I beg you, don't buy a husky! Please PLEASE don't! You know nothing about dogs let alone a specific breed!" but he already disappeared behind the door before I could say anything. Should I jump over the gate and knock harshly on the door? O_O But that would be both rude and slightly crazy~

Anyway I'm afraid I have just turn one husky's life into an unlucky one :( This man knows NOTHING about dogs! Five years lifespan?! What?! OMG even idiots knew that's not true! Can't imagine this man--with his extra-limited knowledge--bought a husky just because he "saw one and it seem pretty well-behaved" :eek: oh no oh no what do I do? what should I do? Have I just doomed one husky's life by not telling this man the (ugly) truth behind owning this stunning breed?? Should I go straight to the point and tell this man: "Don't buy a husky, sir, they are a heavy-shedding shoe eater" just to avoid the chances of him getting a husky puppy? No no that's not right, but most idiots are stubborn =.= Unless I tell them a bad news they won't stop doing what they're trying to do =\ So now what? What do I do? What should I tell him?? :confused:

try not to worry - hopefully the fact u told him they live upto 10 years longer than he was expecting will be enough - if you see him again tho you could talk to him some more n tell him that they dont really listen to people and they chew shoes and things if they are bored or lonely n stuff :)

Don't panic, you may well have put him off by telling him they live for 15 years & not just 5. He may well have just been making polite conversation but if you happen to see him again just mention that they shed fur heavily, cannot be let off the lead EVER & need a lot of exercise otherwise they can be very destructive.

Don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong xx

*breathes* okay, thanks for telling me to breathe bcoz I've been holding my breath for a long time now x)

Anyway I'll definitely tell him everything about huskies once I saw him again x( Maybe on my night walk? Ah that's a few hours from now O_O Will have to prepare my speech? No, don't think so LOL Think I had enough experience! I've given a long lecture to almost half of my friends that wanted to buy a husky. Usually my speech discouraged them from getting one LOL their eyes will start to say: "alright I don't want a husky" once I mentioned the number of things Diamond has chewed up until today :P

we also try to list the bad points first when speaking to people in the street, its not that i don't want people to get a husky just that i don't want another one to end up in rescue. don't worry about this man although if you see him again maybe say to him he'd be better of with a hamster if he only want a pet that live 5 years!!!

maybe he has gone in to do research into the breed :)

afterall,thats how we all learnt

i suppose i'd have asked some stupid questions about dogs over the years,simply because the research we have today far exceeds

anything we had when i was young.

dogs were just simply.......dogs!!!

In addition to what has been said, you need some Husky Owner's business cards to carry with you!

In't it funny that we love this breed so much that we do our best to DISCOURAGE

anyone else from getting one. . . weird innit ? :jawdrop:

Did you actually ever tell him what breed it is? Don't worry. Ignorant people will own dogs. At the end of the day, there is really nothing you can do to stop all of them. "I want that kind of dog! It's got a stripe and long ears!"? Shallow? Yes. But look around. The world is densely populated with people like this.

Maybe he had a husky, and it only lived to be 5. :I And rushed into his house to tell someone/something that something went wrong. Oi. I try not to be negative like that, but it's a double-negative anyway. If he gets a husky, let's all pray for it, and him. LOL

You know where he lives and such...you could always just drop off some information about Huskies, their training needs, their daily exercise needs, I'm sure in the wonderful world of the interwebs it won't be hard to find a few horror storries about them being let off lead, and their generally destructive when not taken care of properly habits...also perhaps a link to this site so that if they do decide to pursue getting one, that they have access to not only a neighbor...but where the neighbor goes for help to share his own frustrations and triumphs...

Who knows...maybe the info will put him off all together...or maybe he'll decide that he needs to do some more research before he chooses any sort of pup. I'd actually think the longer life span would be something that a lot of owners look for...no one wants to say goodbye and well that means that you won't be retraining one in just five years...though I'm not sure what dogs have an only 5 year life expectancy...