My Biggles experience

Val (Zebedee)

Steve bought me a flight for my birthday in December in a World War 2, open cockpit biplane, a Stampe SV4 to be exact. With so much going on lately, I hadn't given too much thought to it so was not mega excited, though I was looking forward to it. I booked it a few weeks ago & when I saw the rain & winds in the UK last weekend, I thought "That's Sod's Law, I'll get that next Sunday & the flight will be cancelled"

I had to call them before we left the house to make sure it was still on - it was 135 miles there! Steve called at 9am, yep, the weather was perfect (even though it was grey & miserable at home) so it would go ahead ... :woohoo:

3 hours later (with a doggie stop or 2 as the pups came to make sure I did it!) we arrived at the airport, just in time for my flight. I had an induction video about "anything painted yellow, DO NOT TOUCH as it will stop the engine" :eek: I didn't catch the rest, only "remember don't touch yellow!"

When the video was over (about 5 mins), I was given a very fetching white Biggles scarf & flying jacket, just so I looked the part, but I was warned not to take anything with me in my pockets "just in case" :confused: so no camera & therefore no in-flight pics :mad: ... and off we went! I was told where to stand on the plane's wing & what strut to grab hold of :whistling:, step into the front seat & buckle up. I was nice & snug in my 5 point harness & made sure my hands were NOWHERE near the joystick & my feet were NOWHERE near the pedals! I had my headset & leather cap fitted by my pilot, Jack, who made sure I could hear him & he could hear me (screaming??), another bloke popped up & took 2 pics of me in the cockpit looking very fetching (not) in my flying regalia - then the ignition was switched on .... :jawdrop: the propellers were turned BY HAND to start them (which took 3 attempts :yikes: ........... then we moved off!

We taxi'd down to the grass runway, sat for a second, the engine roared - the next thing I knew, the ground was leaving me! We got up to around 1,000 feet, followed the M5 motorway for a bit then banked left (flying term, you know!) and headed towards the mouth of the River Severn - absolutely amazing! Jack pointed out bits & pieces to me, wing-waved at a passing plane to say hello and explained why the plane was bouncing around (the thermals over open fields below, don't ya know??)

After a little while we turned round & started heading back, I heard Jack say something, I could have sworn he asked "Do you want to fly the plane?" :eek: he did! That got a swift "No thank you!" ... which was quickly followed by "OK, well, do you want to loop-the-loop?" "Pardon me??" "Do you want to loop-the-loop?" ........ :cool: "yes please!!" so off we went, tightening my shoulder straps, into orbit, up & over, upside down (no wonder I had to have empty pockets!!) & back upright again!! Amazing!!!!! :cheerleader:

Next, I heard "would you like to do a barrel roll?" "Pardon?" "A barrel roll?" (by this time, Jack thought I was a bit deaf, I think, but I just could not believe what I was hearing! I'd only come down for a straight forward flight!) "Oh, YES PLEASE!!" & the next thing, we were banking right, then I was upside down again, seeing land - sky - land!! :yahoo: Absolutely brilliant!! (And I kept the contents of my stomach too!)

All too soon, it was time to come in to land, but I felt all giddy, like a kid at Christmas! It was THE best time! Back to earth, I got out of my harness, clambered out of the cockpit & walked with buckling legs back to the hangar, where I got the 2 pics that had been taken before the flight, a certificate, gave my address details for a video of the WHOLE FLIGHT (I did see a camera aimed at me but thought nothing of it) which recorded all the chat & everything which will arrive in around 6 weeks & ordered a mug of me in the plane!

The sun shone all day, everything went to plan - perfect ending to a weekend that started not so happy (family funeral) but turned out AMAZING!!!!!

A massive thank you to Steve for thinking of this unusual present, it was perfect! Love you loads!!

Some pics for you all to giggle over!! :D

post-143-13585978209875_thumb.jpg

post-143-13585978212285_thumb.jpg

post-143-13585978215521_thumb.jpg

post-143-13585978217259_thumb.jpg

post-143-13585978218204_thumb.jpg

Val, how exciting! You have more courage than I. No way could they get me in an open cockpit, and me being upside-down.

quote by Val

A massive thank you to Steve for thinking of this unusual present, it was perfect! Love you loads!!

Just seeing you smile when you climbed out of the plane made the whole day worth while.

awwwwwwwww xxxxx

love_birds_card-p137007654534861464q6k5_400.jpg

hmmm - we had a conversation about this on the way home from the flight - I dunno was his answer!! :D He's paid for me to fly in an open-cockpit, 65 year old plane ..... in a glass bottomed helicopter .... is he trying to get rid of me & get the mortgage paid?? :jawdrop: I draw the line at a hot air balloon flight, though!!!!!!!!! :yikes::nooo: