Collar or Harness

MyLilGirl_Misty

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally prefer a collar, and use a semi-slip (I think they are what you all call a half-choke) - it's adjustable, and slips over the head; it has two rings (like a martingale) with another piece of nylon webbing in a loop through the two rings, with a ring to attach the lead. That way, it fits snugly enough when there is tension on the lead that it won't come off easily, and yet when there is no tension, there's slack in the collar.

I've never used a walking harness, so I really can't comment on them - my guys pull enough that I'd rather not encourage it, and find that I can control them pretty well with the collar, anyway. When I want them to pull, I use an x-back style racing harness.

I walk Suka with a Martingale collar. It works very well; and he seems to pull more with other collars than without it.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference and if it works for your husky. I know I couldn't put a harness on Suka cause he'll just pull me across the sidewalk.

Kissuna is a brat. He gets a collar and a harness. I've taken him out to potty using a collar and leash, and he pulls and hacks the entire time. He tried to slip his collar a few times, and when he sees geese, ducks, other dogs or cats he lunges. So I walk him in a harness, which he does pull harder in. I'm working on training him to not pull in a harness and its going ok.

I just do not trust him in a collar for walking. My moms american eskimo who doesn't pull half as hard as Kissu has recently had to be switched too a harness cause of his puling, his trachea soften and he was coughing all the time causing his heart to become enlarged. It was reversable, which is why he was prescribed a harness.

I think it depends on how your dog walks, if it is a calm dog and doesnt pull that much, collar will be fine, but if it pulls alot or hasnt learned how to properly walk on a leash, then harness is better. Ever since I got her cage, I only put her harness on her when we go out and take it off when she comes home. Im not to concerned with her running away since she knows not to bolt out of the door or try to dig near the fence. So she runs naked unless I feel she needs to be outside to burn off some energy.

Ours are all on collars (half check) like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq28C3cLAXIH_K8HWBO2eWUFwsHNUW4-_Ap72zXNNGuLOwrt_Xcg

for walking. When on lead on the collar they have learned they are out for a walk and so "shouldn't" pull.

However if they are on my Bike attached to the Walkydog they are on a harness.

When in Harness they know they CAN pull and it is allowed.

Ours are all on collars (half check) like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq28C3cLAXIH_K8HWBO2eWUFwsHNUW4-_Ap72zXNNGuLOwrt_Xcg

for walking. When on lead on the collar they have learned they are out for a walk and so "shouldn't" pull.

However if they are on my Bike attached to the Walkydog they are on a harness.

When in Harness they know they CAN pull and it is allowed.

Does it hurt them badly or just makes em uncomfortable?

Does it hurt them badly or just makes em uncomfortable?

@Matthew

I don't understand.

Does what hurt them badly / uncomfortable ??

If you are referring to the half check, it is a normal collar.

It causes no pain or discomfort, but allows a gentle tightening around the neck

When they pull against it it closes the band, but because the band is quite broad there is less constriction than a tradition metal slip collar like this.

dog-slip-choke-collar-training.jpg

This type of slip chain can and often does cause damage to the windpipe.

Especially if they suddenly lunge forward.

Hope this helps :)

Mine all walk on collars (half check, very good as minimises collar slipping as it will tighten against a fluffy neck but not like a choke one. Would never use a standard collar on a sibe or like minded fluffy necked breed) but they have harnesses for other reasons like car travel or when pulling etc. I personally think its important to switch between the 2 as when they are on a collar they have been taught not to pull and know the difference. It can be confusing if you use a harness for everything. Thats when non stop pulling happens IMO. I would say you will either way need one of each if you take your dog in the car and dont crate them as he could be a hazard while traveling and would need a car seatbelt type as they are padded to avoid injury if you were in an accident.

Mine all walk on collars (half check, very good as minimises collar slipping as it will tighten against a fluffy neck but not like a choke one. Would never use a standard collar on a sibe or like minded fluffy necked breed) but they have harnesses for other reasons like car travel or when pulling etc. I personally think its important to switch between the 2 as when they are on a collar they have been taught not to pull and know the difference. It can be confusing if you use a harness for everything. Thats when non stop pulling happens IMO. I would say you will either way need one of each if you take your dog in the car and dont crate them as he could be a hazard while traveling and would need a car seatbelt type as they are padded to avoid injury if you were in an accident.

Couldn't have put it better myself :)

I use a collar sometimes a choke chain as every other collar ice has slipped even semi slips but when using a chain collar I always have it loose I don't use it I just attach it to his normal collar as if he slips that I know he still attached by the chain. He does loose lead. So I don't really have to worry but I would rather that then him escaping. He uses a harness when out on a run or if there is no ther dogs around. Hollie has to use a choker chain as she will snap any collar or slip her harness but as a gsd and doesn't pull she is fine as its never tight. Jaz uses a headcollar or harness and gus goes on a normal collar or harness

Navi has problems stopping and smelling everything, wonder if it will help.

Stop 'n' sniff is a common problem for EVERYONE.

A gentle tug and "C'mon" or "Walk-on" usually keeps them moving.

Although. . . .

sometimes when ALL 3 are intent on sniffing the same lamp post I have to put my full (and considerable LMAO) weight behind the dragging them away. :rolleyes:

I use leave it in very strong voice followed by a gentle tug. Eventually they get the idea so that when you approach an interesting item or place, a well timed 'LEAVE IT!' usually prevents a lot. We are doing this training with Bayan now and it is supprising how quick they pick it up. Even a stubborn mule head like Bayan :D

i use a semi-slip collar on my girl - a harness just makes her stronger n harder to control - she gets to wear a harness when on a flexi or long lead only - or at meet ups

my noy walso wears a semi-slip but wears a harness too and has a double ended lead connected to both as he can slip collars but break harnesses if he wears them on their own so has to have both for safety - atleast till i find a good harness that he cant snap

semi-slip with double ended lead

DSC00431.jpg

Manmat long distance for canicross and bike joring, and collar for walking...although use slip collar occassionally when he's having 'one of those days' and I want to get him back to loose lead walking...

Stop and sniff is a problem, it takes some time to get him on his moving state when walking...when he's in his moving state it's no problem. Sometimes I'll just let him have a smell walk though - he can smell and go where he likes...

Best regards,

Smiler

for shorter walks around the streets, Kita is on her normal slip over collar, for longer walks she on her harness, she walks nicely on both anyway so its not an issue :)

But It depends on the behavior of your husky and what you prefer, Collars tend to give you abit more control and are better for training puproses (unless the training is for work i.e scootering, bike jouring etc) But harnesses can be abit more comfortable for them.

i have collars and harnesses

when im taking them near roads, like to town or to the dog park, they all go on collars, as they pull less and are more manageable, we use semi slips.

when i take them out 1 at a time they wear harnesses as i can handle the pull if its just 1