Collar or Harness

MyLilGirl_Misty

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use both for mine. Stryder doesnt like walking with his collar, he doesnt mind it most times, but if you try to take him for a walk he does this thing where he tries to pull backwards to slip out, which i'm afraid of him succeeding at. So he wears it for his tags/short walks (IE potty breaks outside), and a harness when we go somewhere that I want to be sure he cant slip out. For his daily walks he's on a no-pull harness while he leash trains. he walks fabulously on it

Kiska has a collar for her tags (and for looks - it's a bandana collar :) ) and a harness for walking. I prefer walking her on a harness and have never so much as attached a lead to her collar as I don't particularly like leading dogs by their necks. I'm not saying it's wrong and people shouldn't do it, it's just not for me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not responding sooner to everyone's post here. I think what it boils down to is that it's just a personal choice with each one having it's advantages and disadvantages. Me personally, I would think getting a harness on would be a little challenging especially if your Husky doesn't want to sit still. With a collar already on her, it's just a matter of clicking on the leash and that's it.

Tikka wears an Ezydog harness, and I attach a double ended lead to her harness and her collar, then when she's calmed down and not pulling so much I'll unclip from the collar and she then has a longer length lead and more freedom. If she starts bounding about and trying to run I'll reel her in and clip back to her collar until she calms again. She knows if she's acting up she has less freedom.

Pongo has an ezydog harness for riding on bikes or in the woods. He has an ezydog collar for going out quickly around the house and to hold his tags. He has a prong collar for walks as he is much more behaved on it especially when he sees other dogs and people. He has a kool collar to hold ice for hot days lol. Pongo has way too much stuff! :P

When we got our husky/malamute he was already 8 months old and had no training or socialization. So we started with a harness but because of his strength we found his pulling to be exhausting as we worked with training him to heel properly. A head halter is our savior for this. He doesn't like it but its really helped with the pulling, especially for me since I have a knee injury and was originally unable to walk him.

Of course, if you have your husky from a puppy and trained them to heel properly at the early age, then I don't think you would need to use the head halter and a collar or harness would be better.

Pongo is beautiful, I like the eyes especially. I wanted a blue eyed Husky but they are hard to come by here in Japan. One pet shop here was telling me that the breeders were going to stop breeding Huskies because nobody seems to want that size of a dog and they are losing money and time I guess. Everyone here seems to have those small dogs now, the ones that are about the size of cat.

I just have a collar on Lobo....I used to like harnesses on him since it was easier before he was trained. He also used to chew up his harnesses so I had to make sure to take them off when he was unsupervised. Try both and see what works best for you

Haven't read all the post but I, personally, prefer a harness. I've just purchased an Easy Walk Harness which clips at the front as opposed to the back and that has cut his pulling by half. Bit of a bugger to get size right and fitting it right but once sorted it has worked like a charm. Each to their own I suppose though!

Edit: Once you have it adjusted to it's proper fit it's really easy to put on and off, simply slip it over the head and then a belly strap clips together!

I use Ezydog harnesses on all my dogs, both huskies and my chihuahua! The chest plate is great, stops them hurting their chests when they pull and they are very strong fabric and the clips seem very sturdy. I wouldn't bother using anything else now. Although I do have a Manmat harness for Oisin for scootering.

There is no way I can use just a lead attached to a collar for either, they choke themselves and twist around and I have much less control, along with the fear of them pulling the collar over their heads. I'd advise you get a harness before your pup reaches 4/5 months old. Thats when Indie's strength on the lead started developing.