Insomnia...

TreyRust

... I has it!

*alternatively*

... The reason I'm typing this.

*alternatively*

... I'm sooooooooooooooooo tired!!!!!!

*alternatively*

... Just one more episode/message/video/google-search/thought cycle.

*alternatively*

... Just when you think you have it beat, you get a nose bleed and have to get out of your very-very-very almost deep sleep, hold a tissue to your nose, and shove your finger under your upper lip looking like a retard, with blood everywhere... (But hey! I managed to not get a single drop on my new sheets! :D (can't say the same for my hand, however...) )

*alternatively*

... *puts red bull next to alarm clock*

*alternatively*

... Just a small glass of tea won't hurt... oh, and then a couple of chips with salsa. Gah, I need more tea if I'm eating spicy salsa, and dry-salty chips!... now I have a whole glass! might as well get more salsa, and watch some netflix, hmm, it appears to be messing up (big surprise) *30 minutes later* There! I fixed it!! *looks at tea and salsa* This simply won't do! I've eaten all my salsa and drank all my tea while trying to get a TV show going! *Gets more salsa and tea* - *Watches TV* Hmm... one more episode won't hurt... maybe with some more salsa... and tea...

*alternatively*

... *points to forehead* "right there! give me your best shot!!"

*alternatively*

... The reason I never get anything done

*alternatively*

... The reason I'm here at 5 AM, and don't get back on until about 3pm...

*alternatively*

... "PsssT! hey... hey you! want some of the good stuff?" Me - "Sleeping pills?" Guy on the side of the street - "Shhhh! don't tell... this is some high power stuff here, gives you a full nights sleep"

*alternatively*

... Getting a good nights sleep!

*alternatively*

... *eyes fogging*

*alternatively*

... I guess my nose has decided to stop being so querulous for the time being... gonna try and catch some Z's now....

*alternatively*

... Laptop.... dying....

TO BE CONTINUED...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Insomnia is a horrible thing to deal with. Until april I was suffering with chronic insomnia for about 3 months and I just couldn't do anything about it. I tried drinking cammomile tea, sleeping with a lavender bag under my pillow, sleeping pills and other remedies suggested by friends and family. nothing worked. For some reason, towards the end of April, the insomnia just subsided and now i sleep a LOT. feels good to wake up and actually feel refreshed!

Poor Trey! I just wake up after about 5-6 hours (usually because I need to let poor old Shad out - he can't hold it very long these days!), and then can't get back to sleep!

You see, I think my biggest problem is, I don't have any reason to wake up early. Well, none that excuse away just 20 minutes of x

When I had Eponine, I had to walk her. Sure, I still woke up late. But it was getting better, and no matter how long I stayed up, I still had to wake up.

Insomnia is a horrible thing to deal with. Until april I was suffering with chronic insomnia for about 3 months and I just couldn't do anything about it. I tried drinking cammomile tea, sleeping with a lavender bag under my pillow, sleeping pills and other remedies suggested by friends and family. nothing worked. For some reason, towards the end of April, the insomnia just subsided and now i sleep a LOT. feels good to wake up and actually feel refreshed!

Lucky.... Been dealing with this for a few years now :eek:

Chamomile tea doesn't do anything to me, much like coffee...

It seems like a problem with a simple solution but... If I go to sleep at 9, I don't... I toss and turn til 3-4, then sleep in accordingly. If I just wake up at 7.... well, that doesn't work because, I've only had 4 hours of sleep! But I did read a post by someone (on another forum) who had a similar problem, and he said one of the things that really changed it for him was waking up at the same time everyday, regardless of how much sleep he had... I guess I'm gonna have to start doing that, sure, its 'unhealthy'.... but I doubt what I'm doing is any healthier.

I'm sure if I got a job that would all change...

Trey.

Maybe if you got out and (if you can manage with the heat) get a fair amount of physical activity in? Lengthy walk (even without a Siberian!) or yard work?

Take up some sort of learning activity, something to study to tire your brain? (Obviously no idea how much of either you ARE doing!)

Maybe if you got out and (if you can manage with the heat) get a fair amount of physical activity in? Lengthy walk (even without a Siberian!) or yard work?

Take up some sort of learning activity, something to study to tire your brain? (Obviously no idea how much of either you ARE doing!)

Haha, you basically described me. My "morning" routine: Get out of bed, brush teeth, get some water so I don't have a heat-stroke in this july-georgia heat... and go for a walk.

Yesterday I did a lot of mowing... and not just your average, everyday, ordinary mowing... reclaiming the edges of the barn, with 1 inch round trees mowing, and dodging god-knows-what.

Of course, I feel about as bad as I can from poor sleep today, my back hurts from mowing yesterday, and its 4PM... So I'm gonna clean my room and just try and go to bed. Whether or not I succeed, I'm making it a mission to wake up at 7:30AM, like I used to... awe, back in the day I used to wake up first, before anyone else in the house.... to go feed the dogs ironically... but I never can go back to sleep after doing that, so it was perfect.

Trey.

Haha, you basically described me. My "morning" routine: Get out of bed, brush teeth, get some water so I don't have a heat-stroke in this july-georgia heat... and go for a walk.

Yesterday I did a lot of mowing... and not just your average, everyday, ordinary mowing... reclaiming the edges of the barn, with 1 inch round trees mowing, and dodging god-knows-what.

Of course, I feel about as bad as I can from poor sleep today, my back hurts from mowing yesterday, and its 4PM... So I'm gonna clean my room and just try and go to bed. Whether or not I succeed, I'm making it a mission to wake up at 7:30AM, like I used to... awe, back in the day I used to wake up first, before anyone else in the house.... to go feed the dogs ironically... but I never can go back to sleep after doing that, so it was perfect.

Trey.

Good luck, then! (Being sore can make it hard to sleep!)

Get something to do in the early morning! I used to cycle to the beach before sunrise, had to get up at 5am but was totally worth it. Got back home around 9am while everyone was still sleeping, finished lots of work that I had been procrastinating on. 5am might sound a little crazy, but as long as you stick with it every day (also in the weekend) you'll get used to it. I woke up at 4.55am eventually every day. If you go to bed too late the evening before, you most likely feel tired the next day. Result? You sleep way better the next night :) Took me a while to figure out my own best sleeping schedule but it turned out 5 hours was the best for me. 7 hours is still do-able but sleeping for any longer period actually makes it me more tired and makes it harder to leave my bed.

Get something to do in the early morning! I used to cycle to the beach before sunrise, had to get up at 5am but was totally worth it. Got back home around 9am while everyone was still sleeping, finished lots of work that I had been procrastinating on. 5am might sound a little crazy, but as long as you stick with it every day (also in the weekend) you'll get used to it. I woke up at 4.55am eventually every day. If you go to bed too late the evening before, you most likely feel tired the next day. Result? You sleep way better the next night :) Took me a while to figure out my own best sleeping schedule but it turned out 5 hours was the best for me. 7 hours is still do-able but sleeping for any longer period actually makes it me more tired and makes it harder to leave my bed.

Sounds lovely... Yeah, typically anymore than 10 hours, no matter how tired I was before I went to sleep, I feel like total crap, with a horrible headache the next day.

A couple of weeks ago, Dad and I where working around/on the house, and I was getting up at a solid 10am each morning. Though I felt tired, and often went to sleep at around 4am, I still felt ifinitly better than I do when I sleep in until 3pm.

I'm just relaxing right now, no distractions (other than the forum), watching a simple TV show (married with children) that won't have me looking up things that I find interesting, because its really just a funny sitcom, and I vow not to do any googling... I'm just sitting here in bed, with some ice tea (without ice) and relaxing... My alarm is set for 7:30AM, and I have a redbull next to it...

I also feel quite tired, my eyes hurt from lack of (good) sleep.

Trey.

For the record, I laid in bed for two hours before deciding I was hungry, and I might as well get some left-overs... Might as well watch some TV and update this thread, probably wouldn't hurt to grab a V8 either, because hey, I'm going to have a redbull I.V. in the morning... gotta balance it out somehow :P

While I'm at it, I might as well grab some pretzels...

Trey.

I'd suggest more structured physical activity...If your going to bed at 5am, and getting up at 3pm

...well that's not insomnia so much as you're going to bed early in the morning so you're getting up late in the afternoon when the day is almost gone...some people would consider that a grave or swing shift. You're still getting around ten hours of sleep. If you don't do anything to change it...well it's just going to keep happening. You may have to tough it out for a 48 hour period and just NOT sleep until it's time for a normal bed time...again increased physical activity as others have pointed out will certainly help.

Additionally don't eat meals right before you're getting ready for sleep...a snack a couple of hours before you go to bed that's got a lot of potassium or protien is fine but suger puff super treats with some tea and cookies isn't going to help your body recognize that its time to slow down. Turn off the computer, tele, all the electronics in your room and the lights...if you need white noise...turn on a fan. If you have a difficult time still try some deep breathing exercises and visualization. It will likely take more than one attempt to redevelop a routine. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips, I know that my sleep schedule is off, and that I have a total lack of structure. But I'm going to clean out the pool today! that should be good... as well as cleaning my room if that happens.

The biggest problem I have is, when I force myself out of bed at 7, and I'm tired all day, but I still can't get to sleep until about 3-4. You're probably right about it not being insomnia, but it's a better name for the thread than "Swing shift...". Well, maybe not.... But this word is new to me, and I don't feel like bothering a staffer to change it so.

oh and, talk about irony? This was in my inbox when I got up this morning(evening):

gv3lm.png

But yeah, I don't get to little sleep. I just feel like crap when I am to tired to wake up when the suns out, it's just not right...

I tried to wake up at 7:30, I considered it and almost did but, I didn't because the bed was to comfy :(

I know, I know... your from the military so you probably want to slap me :P

But tomorrow is another day and, I'll try then... With Stephanie's advice in hand.

BTW: You haven't said anything new, but it is a good reminder. I haven't been doing ANY of those things.

Trey.

Trey, sorry to hear about your sleep problems. My youngest son has been struggling with the same thing this summer. We've been learning about a natural melatonin supplement, and we tried that with him for the first time last night. Melatonin is what the body produces to help you feel sleepy. We'll see how it goes, but last night he fell asleep like normal, so maybe it helped. We'll see...