Insomnia...

TreyRust

Trey, sorry to hear about your sleep problems. My youngest son has been struggling with the same thing this summer. We've been learning about a natural melatonin supplement, and we tried that with him for the first time last night. Melatonin is what the body produces to help you feel sleepy. We'll see how it goes, but last night he fell asleep like normal, so maybe it helped. We'll see...

Yeah, I've heard some... things about them, I'd like to know how a kids body reacts to unnatural levels of melatonin better before trying that.

Oh, and an interesting note. Teenagers produce melatonin to a later point in the day than young kids and adults, it ranges from kid to kid, but its usually about 2 hours. You see, you're body wants to sleep two more hours after seeing the sun (which is the brains signal to stop producing melatonin) and then you stay up an extra two after it goes down.

I'm certainly past that excuse now (it worked for the time being though...) and, that's not as much of a problem, I can do two hours after 6:45, it's just waking up at 3:30pm I can't stand.

Sooo, I've been trying to do what @Fox Tink & Eponine recommended, and it seems to be working fairly well. The first couple of nights I tried to go to sleep, I went to bed early and just tossed and turned until I got to the earliest point I usually go to sleep at, then pass out. The next night I fell right asleep, but then woke up exactly an hour later and stayed up til the point I usually go to sleep at.

I haven't woken up past 12 for most of the time I've been trying, maybe once. That may not sound like a lot to you but, I've had this lazy sleep schedule for years.

I've also found that I do very well on NO LESS than 8 hours of sleep, although I hear it's best to get 9 for my age, but I'm just doing this to try and wake up earlier.

I've not been updating because I don't want to become complacent and stop working on it. So, fingers crossed... I've been waking up at around 10:30-11:30, So I think I can start stepping it up a couple more hours, doing it all at once was just to big of a change. obviously it's 2:33 now, so I'm not going to in the morning, because I have to get stuff done tomorrow, stuff with sharp tools, and percise thinking. So I can't be tired...

Alright, well... I guess I'll talk about it later, at least I'm doing better? I don't have migraines anymore. I used to get them all the time, but when I don't oversleep, I don't get them. Even if I'm a zombie I haven't sleep so much, I still don't get migraines, and I feel great! That was a huge issue for me... It was like a revolving door to the medicine cabinet for the goody's powder, which I tried to use as little as possible because it's not good to take to much, on top of that it's "dangerous" for kids my age, even though thats just a lame statistic, I don't want to chance it... So, limiting the hours I'm in bed, really get rid of them.

Trey.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic