Heat and Humidity - the hidden danger!!

raindog

Siberian Husky ownership in the UK has increased massively over the past 20 years – largely due to an increase in those breeding Huskies commercially, whether as large scale puppy farmers, small scale backyard breeders or what I call naïve/ignorant/stupid “pet†breeders (the bloke round the corner who puts his poor quality bitch to a friend’s poor quality dog for pin money).

Some of these new owners haven’t done their research, can’t cope and eventually either sell their dog on or give it up to rescue. Others take it more seriously, learn all they can about the breed and do their best to provide the best life they can for their husky/huskies. This often includes them deciding to allow their dog to do what comes naturally and run them in harness. This is brilliant and to be applauded. Increasingly however, we are coming across people who don’t realise that running their dogs in warm and humid conditions during the UK spring/summer/early autumn can be extremely dangerous for their dogs’ health and welfare.

The Chukchi Inuit people, who first developed these dogs over thousands of years in North-Eastern Siberia, used them as long distance, endurance sled dogs throughout the winter months, hunting and fishing wherever game was plentiful. In their hot summer months, the Chukchi would let their dogs roam free around their summer villages hunting for themselves. The dogs would not be worked at all in harness during the warmer months.

Most husky owners in the UK take the same approach as the Chukchi and do not work their dogs during the summer. Indeed, even during the winter, most of the husky racing organisations will cancel events if the temperature rises above 12º C.

Huskies can cope very well with the heat and humidity as long as they are not expected to work in such conditions. Working in harness in the kind of hot and humid weather conditions found during the average UK summer is extremely dangerous for sled dog breeds. Heat exhaustion can swiftly lead to heat stroke and even death. Heat stroke occurs when normal body mechanisms cannot keep the body's temperature in a safe range. Animals do not have efficient cooling systems (like humans who sweat) and get overheated easily. A dog with moderate heatstroke (body temperature from 104º to 106ºF) can recover within an hour if given prompt first aid and veterinary care (normal body temperature is 100-102.5°F). Severe heatstroke (body temperature over 106ºF) is seriously life-threatening and immediate veterinary assistance is necessary.

Why are sled dogs so prone to heat exhaustion? – because of the heat built up during strenuous exercise. After all, not only are these dogs running, but they are running pulling a sled/scooter/rig and heavy passengers. Their muscles are able to convert some 20-30% of the chemical energy they use into mechanical work. So, 70 – 80% of the energy produced by an intensively working dog ends up creating body heat. During intensive pulling there is a large quantity of heat generated by sled dog muscles that must be dissipated.

When muscles get too warm, they function less efficiently. When a dog's body warms too much, its non-muscular body functions not only work less efficiently, but actually may fail entirely, thus presenting a life-threatening situation to the dog.

As mentioned above, sled dogs can't sweat. If they did, they could improve their rate of exercise-created heat dissipation through their skin surface. Instead, it is by increasing their breathing rate and the discharge and evaporation of water from their mouth area that sled dogs can increase the amount of heat dissipated during exercise. However, the hotter the outside temperature, the less effective heat dissipation becomes. Atmospheric temperature air is drawn into the nose and mouth and -- via the air passages -- ends up in the lungs. In winter conditions the cool, dry air is warmed to body temperature traversing the air passages to the lungs. The air exiting the nose and mouth from the lungs is warm, moist air close to body temperature. On a frosty day, if the air entering the mouth/nose is at around 30º F and it takes heat from the body before being expressed at body temperature (optimally 103º F) it is obvious that heat is being dissipated effectively. On a humid summer day, with atmospheric temperatures of say, 60º F, the amount of heat and moisture that the dog’s breathing can take from the body is much less with the result that heat builds up in the body and the dog’s core temperature can very quickly rise to dangerous – even life-threatening levels.

Not only that, but a dog which has suffered heat stroke on one occasion, even if it has apparently been lucky and survived the experience, is likely to be much more likely to suffer the same problem in the future – the trauma having permanently damaged its thermoregulatory function and lowered its threshold of tolerance for working in warm conditions. This will make the poor dog pretty much useless as a sled dog from that point on.

Terry and I have personally been involved in treating sled dogs (not ours) with heat exhaustion even in mid winter in the UK . For us, the thought of running dogs during the summer months is way beyond common sense and is not a risk we would take with our precious dogs. A simple rule of thumb is this – if it is warm enough for you to take your dogs out without wearing a sweater or jacket, it is too warm to run them in harness.

Mick

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:goodjob: good post Mick. as an added extra how hot is too hot to take them out walking?? I generally use the rule if im stuffy in a jumper or cardie then not take them out.

As Mick said though, its working them where the real danger lies, Walking is not strenuous exercise and Hukies do handle heat well, So even if it is fairly warm, a gentle half hour stroll shouldn't be to much of a problem as long as they don't get themselves worked up.

Great post Mick.

question: I assume the length of the exercise does make some difference, so lets say it was 16 degress, would it be fairly safe to work the dogs for say 10-15 mins fully or just more gentley for training purposes.

Unfortunately, not all sibes are the same. Some can cope better with heat/humidity than others. Personally I don't work mine at all until the temperature goes down to 12 or below. On the length of exercise, we had to try to rehydrate and cool a little girl who had only completed two miles of a race (7 or 8 minutes) at about 12 degrees when she collapsed with heat exhaustion and was dropped from her owner's team with the race marshall. I would always err on the side of caution as it is better to be safe than sorry!

Unfortunately, not all sibes are the same. Some can cope better with heat/humidity than others. Personally I don't work mine at all until the temperature goes down to 12 or below. On the length of exercise, we had to try to rehydrate and cool a little girl who had only completed two miles of a race (7 or 8 minutes) at about 12 degrees when she collapsed with heat exhaustion and was dropped from her owner's team with the race marshall. I would always err on the side of caution as it is better to be safe than sorry!

indeed, the reason I asked was I want to work Kita, and Ideally I'd like to have her near enough fully trained by the time the ideal conditions roll around ^_^

Good post!

I monitor Harley constantly, and have comfortably worked him in low humidity up to 17-18 degrees during canicross. Yet I've also stopped a run at 10 degrees in 100% humidity because he couldn't cool...

He is affected far more by humidity than the temperature...

In low humidity he can walk nicely up to around 20 degrees. In higher temperature or humidity he gets a little amble round the field behind me and no more, and ice when he gets back.

I think it is all about the individual dog, and we need to monitor ours to check how they perform in different conditions - and stop if they can't cope before adverse effects.

I always wear a couple of tops when running Harley, so I can tell how humid it is myself, and this helps to guage Harley...

Brilliant post, thanks!!! And thanks Sarah for getting the glue out!

Best regards,

Smiler