Heat and Humidity - the hidden danger!!

raindog

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick an excellent article! Can I ask for some expansion for those of us across the pond. There seem to be several of us in the US desert southwest. As I've said before, Misty handles the heat well and normally I'm not too concerned. When it gets warm ( and at the moment it's 34 / 30%) she finds a piece of tile and just "holes up". There have been times she's gone out on the desert when it's in the low 40's and I presume she holes up somewhere out there since she doesn't come back in till after the sun goes down. (( That came to screeching halt the other night, someone was firing off what sounded like a 9mm shortly after they all went out running, she's on 45' leash now and hating me for it! ))

Have you seen any charts, etc that indicate what types of ambient temp are in the dangerous territory. My pack all have water available (5 gallon [drat, 4 gallon imp] jug in a dish that pulls off the jug) and shade constantly.

I live off solar electricity so have very limited electricity available - no freezer, no A/C - and my power goes out at about 3:00 till after the sun comes up the next morn. That added, because ice bottles are not an option. I keep my cool food in a 12v Coleman cooler which keeps things about 15 cooler than ambient.

I know that it sometimes (often?) seem pretty cavalier in my attitude about my animals - I'm not that much - and I do get concerned.

I think that if she is not actually working (ie pulling in harness) then she will tend to regulate her own activity to maintain a level of comfort. I would imagine that humidity isn't a problem where you are, and as long as she is well hydrated, she should be able to cope with the heat pretty well. I haven't seen any "official" guidelines for safe temperatures, but maybe the SHCA may be able to help with better information.

I think that if she is not actually working (ie pulling in harness) then she will tend to regulate her own activity to maintain a level of comfort. I would imagine that humidity isn't a problem where you are, and as long as she is well hydrated, she should be able to cope with the heat pretty well. I haven't seen any "official" guidelines for safe temperatures, but maybe the SHCA may be able to help with better information.

Thanks, I'll go looking some more ...

i neva realised this about the heat beore its good to know ive been bring out water wit me the last few days so i can give toby a drink, this morning he nearly dragged me into a stream so he could lay down in it lol and it was even that warm shows they obviously feel it alot more than we do